• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tank Nation Redux 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they're tearing it down and tanking I'm happy Bergevin will have solid trading pieces.

Skills competitions and 3 on 3 gimmicks do not count as losses, they are ties where other team is given a welfare extra point.

Maybe I'm just old. Nevertheless, I went to a Mooseheads game the other night and it was the first time I'd seen a 3 on 3 live. Great game up to that point. The 3 on 3 was even worse than on TV. Hated it. Reminds me of when we had a half dozen guys on the pond as kids, played 3 on 3 with no goalies. Fun to play, but not hockey. Gimmick is right. ...I'll fight for ties till I check out, but probably won't see another.The league is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This team is playing themselves right into the dead zone.

Too good to get a good pick, too bad to make the playoffs.

And then the scouting department will convince Bergevin to select "a project" player that no other team has rated in the first four rounds like McCarron.

They're not too good to get a good pick. They only beat the Buffalo's and Ottawa's of the world. People got excited by the 5 game winning streak, but that's been negated by the 3 loses.

This teams defence has them well capabable to finish in the bottom 8.

They're not too good to get a good pick. They only beat the Buffalo's and Ottawa's of the world. People got excited by the 5 game winning streak, but that's been negated by the 3 loses.

This teams defence has them well capabable to finish in the bottom 8.

They were bottom 5 for a while

The bad offseason came up on the leafs board and MindzEye posted this.

Your entire off season was pretty amazing for me.

No real interest in Markov back at anything close to a reasonable rate for a guy who seemed to refuse to get old and go away (and a guy who made your PP so much better by himself) and then getting cheap with Radulov (who has 25 points in 30 so far). Then trading your best trade chip (who was apparently way more ready for the show than anyone thought) for a small french winger.

Oh, and then you signed a younger, lesser version of Ron Hainsey for a long time and a fairly big chunk of money

****ing beautiful

This might have been a problem:

XXXXXX-Galchenyuk (4.9)-Radulov (6.25)
MaxPac(4.5)-Danault(.9)-Gallagher (3.75)
Shaw(3.9)-Plekanec(6.0)-Byron(1.16)
Hudon(.65)-Froese(.65)-Carr(.725)

Benn(1.1)-Weber(7.9)
Markov(5.5)-Petry(5.5)
Sergachev(.9)-XXXXX

Price(6.5)

2 legit scoring lines (the overall quality of which would depend on who XXXXX) is, a handful of offensively dangerous defenders who can move the puck up ice quick and support the offence. All for the low low price of 60.8 million. More than enough money to have signed a FA winger (Vanek, Jagr, Marleau, Vrbata, Cammalleri....or even sign Hanzal and move Chucky over) and a minder for Sergachev on the 3rd pairing (Beauch, Franson, Hainsey, Kulikov, Hunwick, Alzner, MDZ, Girardi) and still have about as much cap space as they have today to take on someone's contract at a position of need either short term (Stastny, Filppula, Bozak) or longer term
(Giroux, RNH, Turris, Duchene, Nielsen) for varying player costs in return.

He missed Lek for the forwards and maybe some other stuff but it is just a solid reminder of how bad MB did this summer. At least he is awesome at drafting and developing players.

The bad offseason came up on the leafs board and MindzEye posted this.

Getting back Markov, radulov and not trading away Sergachev may have made this team better.

But we would still be on track for another early playoff exit with those centers and I take into account that under Julien Galchenyuk would never be a center.

So technically we would have Danault as our #1 and Pleks as our #2...that didn't cut it last year and it sure as heck would not cut it this year.

This team will go nowhere until they address the situations at center

Getting back Markov, radulov and not trading away Sergachev may have made this team better.

But we would still be on track for another early playoff exit with those centers and I take into account that under Julien Galchenyuk would never be a center.

So technically we would have Danault as our #1 and Pleks as our #2...that didn't cut it last year and it sure as heck would not cut it this year.

Thing is the habs probably could have got Markov, Radulov, Drouin (not sure he solves centre either) while not signing Alzner (defensive Dman are the easiest place to save money) and giving out Serg.

Now if you were not going to sign Radulov and/or Markov (or sign/trade for other improvements) there was no reason to trade serg for drouin.

Option A: Trade serg for drouin and keep markov/radulov or better = chance at improving on last year
Option B: Keep Serg. Do not sign Markov/Radulov = worst than last year but still have a chance to turn serg isnt a number 1 D - or still trade him for a first line centre.
Option C: Do what the habs did.

Option C is what sees us not go up or down. The middle is the worst.

B = rebuild (though I do not trust MB to do that).

A = take a shot and hope to get lucky

No way to look at the offseason as anything but terrible.

Would have, I don't think there should really be any questioning that.

Fair enough, but you'd have the asset to go get one. Or if you're not trading Sergachev (which I wouldn't blame anyone for doing after watching him bust out this young) you could make due until you can get the right deal for at least an overpaid decent #2 to come available. Nashville didn't exactly give up a boatload for Turris, for example.

I agree, but given the situation MB was in, his choice of paths was the worst one he could have taken. The Habs are stuck right now, either go balls out and try to fluke your way into the position that a hot Carey Price can maybe win your a trophy, or blow it up. MB wants to waffle in between the two paths that actually make sense and that only makes the situation worse (as a Leaf fan, I lived a decade of that bullshit).

Look at last year's Sens. Somehow managed to get themselves into a ECF game 7. If they had a hot Carey Price in net, history might have been different. That is the shot MB needed to be aiming at. Do his best to cobble together a decent group of centres by the deadline and take as many runs at it as he can before Weber becomes completely immobile or Price's knee starts to push him into decline.

Basically, he's your John Ferguson Jr.

Fair enough, but you'd have the asset to go get one. Or if you're not trading Sergachev (which I wouldn't blame anyone for doing after watching him bust out this young) you could make due until you can get the right deal for at least an overpaid decent #2 to come available. Nashville didn't exactly give up a boatload for Turris, for example.

I agree, but given the situation MB was in, his choice of paths was the worst one he could have taken. The Habs are stuck right now, either go balls out and try to fluke your way into the position that a hot Carey Price can maybe win your a trophy, or blow it up. MB wants to waffle in between the two paths that actually make sense and that only makes the situation worse (as a Leaf fan, I lived a decade of that bullshit).

Look at last year's Sens. Somehow managed to get themselves into a ECF game 7. If they had a hot Carey Price in net, history might have been different. That is the shot MB needed to be aiming at. Do his best to cobble together a decent group of centres by the deadline and take as many runs at it as he can before Weber becomes completely immobile or Price's knee starts to push him into decline.

Although I am disapointed we couldn’t bring back Markov and/or Radulov I am not as pissed about it as some.

These two guys are short term contributors....they are both aging, especially Markov and even with both these guys in the lineup today the same thing would have happened as last year.

Probably making the playoffs and an early exit.

I think most Montreal fans are fed up with treading water and hoping we can get on a lucky run like you mention.

But chnaces are we are a team that would really need way too many thijgs to go our way to have a chnace with this group

Last edited:

There is only one option ME .......The Shanny Plan

Keeping a near 40 year old Markov or overpaying Radu makes no difference to making a playoff push forward . All it does is put lipstick on a pig for another year .

Until we land our Matthews and this regime starts drafting and developing like 2007 we are going nowhere but watch other teams pass us by .

We cant go all balls in cause we are missing too many pieces that cant be found or developed while we try to ride the Price , Weber , Max train.

Plus we have no playoff spine when push comes to shove and cant score to save our life .

At least you guys finally picked the right direction .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back