• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tank Nation Redux 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Tavares is a horse and will be a very good player well into his mid thirties.

The knock on Tavares has always been his lack of explosive speed, which might be a problem for him in his mid-thirties....but certainly not to the point where he won't contribute anymore....he'll probably be a top 10 player all his career.

For example, Hossa still had great speed even in his late 30's, which helped him be good that for that long.....

The knock on Tavares has always been his lack of explosive speed, which might be a problem for him in his mid-thirties....but certainly not to the point where he won't contribute anymore....he'll probably be a top 10 player all his career.

For example, Hossa still had great speed even in his late 30's, which helped him be good that for that long.....

However, guys like Getzlaf and Thornton have been able to deal with average speed in their 30s with little problems. I don't think speed matters as much for top end talent, especially if your game was never built on speed to start with.

However, guys like Getzlaf and Thornton have been able to deal with average speed in their 30s with little problems. I don't think speed matters as much for top end talent, especially if your game was never built on speed to start with.

exactly

Ohhh I agree....which is why i said he'll remain a top 10 player well into his mid-thirties.

On a side note: I saw Getzlaf play in 2008 World Championships (Quebec) and he certainly could skate with the best of them....he had no issues keeping up with Nash, St-Louis, Toews...as well as Ovechkin, Radulov, Kovalchuk. Sure his game is more crash and bang, but he could skate....and Thornton also.

The knock on Getzlaf was never his skating, but rather his laziness/dedication (going into the 2003 draft)....that's why he dropped in the draft

Can we get Tavares and Dahlin? Instant rebuild.

Top Goalie
Top Center
2 top D with Weber and Dahlin.

You'd think if we got Dahlin, we'd be more attractive to Tavares. He has to know that adding an elite centre and dman would make us a contender.

Ohhh I agree....which is why i said he'll remain a top 10 player well into his mid-thirties.

On a side note: I saw Getzlaf play in 2008 World Championships (Quebec) and he certainly could skate with the best of them....he had no issues keeping up with Nash, St-Louis, Toews...as well as Ovechkin, Radulov, Kovalchuk. Sure his game is more crash and bang, but he could skate....and Thornton also.

The knock on Getzlaf was never his skating, but rather his laziness/dedication (going into the 2003 draft)....that's why he dropped in the draft

Getzlaf is/was not a better skater than Tavares. Tavares was also able to keep up with the best during the Olympics. Both are fine skaters, just not speed demons.

Getzlaf is/was not a better skater than Tavares. Tavares was also able to keep up with the best during the Olympics. Both are fine skaters, just not speed demons.

JT has worked his ass off to improve his skating , way better now than junior .

Who needs Getzlaf when you can draft Kosty in a generational draft

Who needs Getzlaf when you can draft Kosty in a generational draft

Timmins apologists love to state that was a top 5 player who dropped due to epilepsy. Regardless of where he was ranked, Jeff Carter was right there to take as were Getzlaf Parise and Richards. Any of those four would have been a better choice than Kostitsyn

Timmins apologists love to state that was a top 5 player who dropped due to epilepsy. Regardless of where he was ranked, Jeff Carter was right there to take as were Getzlaf Parise and Richards. Any of those four would have been a better choice than Kostitsyn

I still cringe when I see the second round of a missed Backes , Bergeron and Weber . That draft killed us , absolutely destroyed us not getting 2 huge core pieces for a decade .

I would have been ok with either a hit on the first or second round that year, not a miss on both. 3 picks in the first 2 rounds that year and we end up with Kostitsyn, Urquhart and Lapierre. :knife:

I would have been ok with either a hit on the first or second round that year, not a miss on both. 3 picks in the first 2 rounds that year and we end up with Kostitsyn, Urquhart and Lapierre. :knife:

Especially missing your home town Bergeron . Getzlaf or a Carter plus Bergeron since 2003 , wow.

But with these clowns in charge they may have been busts with us.

and had we taken the right centre in 2003, we probably never have to trade for Gomez, not sure we would have drafted the same guys like McDonagh, Max in 2007, but we probably don't take Chipchura in 2004 etc

One bad move then had a ripple effect

Impossible to know what would have happened... but damn it would have been nice to have taken Getzlaf and Bergeron in 2003.

Impossible to know what would have happened... but damn it would have been nice to have taken Getzlaf and Bergeron in 2003.

Hell, even Carter would have been a good choice.

Bergeron likely would have been buried in the minors and not given a full time shot at 18, but yeah, we would have been set at centre for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back