• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tank Nation Redux 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's a stupid narrative. Of course the fans will accept it, probably even more than the shit that has been served to us all those years. We have no choice either way. Maybe they'll lose a few ticket sales in the meantime but it's going to be short term. And since they have shown they will not spend to the cap, it shouldn't hurt them financially either.

Exactly.

If anyone is looking for proof of how the fans' expectations have been systematically lowered to allow them to rationalize remaining as fans one need look no further than this forum. Look at the discussions we have here. "Is this a playoff team?" "How many points will it take to get the second wild card spot?" Nobody even pretends that it's about winning Cups anymore.

If this forum had existed 20 years before it did, say in 1977 instead of 1997, the entire concept of discussing whether or not the Habs were a playoff team would have seemed absurd. Making the playoffs was not something I obsessed about back in 1977. My only concerns then were how long it would take to wrap up first place overall in the league and whether we'd lose any playoff games at all on our way to the next championship. Making the playoffs wasn't a goal; it was merely assumed. You didn't talk about it. It wasn't something worthy of discussion. Wondering about whether your team was going to make the playoffs was something only Leafs or Canucks fans did.

The only ones that are dead set against a rebuild are the ones that insist the game is for their own personal enjoyment and don't really care if they win a cup or not.

As long as the game they are watching in the moment fits their needs they are satisfied.

Last edited:
The only ones that are dead set against a rebuild are the ones that insist the game is for their own personal enjoyment and don't really care if they win a cup or not.

As long as the game they are watching in the moment fits their needs they are satisfied.

True, but there was a time not that long ago when the only way to satisfy a Habs fan's needs was for them to win championships because winning championships was a Habs fan's only actual need. Now fans who no longer get championships turn to the practice of adjusting their expectations. In reality, all they're doing is finding a way to rationalize an addiction. They are unable to perceive of an existence without hockey just like a heroin addict can't perceive of an existence without smack. So even though their drug of choice (in this case, the Habs) no longer gives them the high it once did, they can't turn their back on it. Instead they create a new narrative to rationalize continuing their self-abuse. What was once considered "unacceptable" is now simply dismissed as "just the way things are nowadays".

And what, the leafs fans didn't put up with it? No, they did. They didn't have a choice.

Habs fans are no different. 13 years without a playoff series win, what do you think habs fans will do differently from leaf fans?

25 years ago you ask any habs fan if they would stand for a quarter century without a cup and they likely tell you that they couldn't stand 5 years without a cup, but here we are 25 years later and those same fans are still going to games, chatting on message boards bitching and moaning.

13 years of what the leafs went through and the habs fans would do the exact same shit, don't kid yourself. They would endure it, because, for the 3rd time, what else could they do?

Seriously? Stop watching the habs?

Stop going to games?

Stop buying habs gear?

Seriously, what do you think Habs fans would do if the team went 13 years without a series win?

You have no choice whether they do or not either but it never stops you from bitching, whining and calling for a rebuild.

Thirteen years without a playoff series win, and only making it twice is a long time.

Of course in an esoteric sense, there is nothing we can do about it, but have you not seen what people in Montreal do when the local team doesn't win? They don't go, the teams fold or move.

The Canadiens have a little more of a cushion, but remember the end of 2015-2016 and the stadium was empty.

True, but there was a time not that long ago when the only way to satisfy a Habs fan's needs was for them to win championships because winning championships was a Habs fan's only actual need. Now fans who no longer get championships turn to the practice of adjusting their expectations. In reality, all they're doing is finding a way to rationalize an addiction. They are unable to perceive of an existence without hockey just like a heroin addict can't perceive of an existence without smack. So even though their drug of choice (in this case, the Habs) no longer gives them the high it once did, they can't turn their back on it. Instead they create a new narrative to rationalize continuing their self-abuse. What was once considered "unacceptable" is now simply dismissed as "just the way things are nowadays".

Yet as Altair wrote, who cares if it should be unacceptable, there is nothing we can do about it as fans anyway.

You have made stupid comments but this is your stupidest.

Of course, we all want them to win, but in the end, I won't let them give me an ulcer. If they never win again, I have already seen six that I can remember which is more than most teams have ever won. If the last time they win occurred when I was 26, so be it. I wish my son could see us win another, but Bettman doesn't want Canadian based teams to win, so I have to accept he likely never will.

You have made stupid comments but this is your stupidest.

Of course, we all want them to win, but in the end, I won't let them give me an ulcer. If they never win again, I have already seen six that I can remember which is more than most teams have ever won. If the last time they win occurred when I was 26, so be it. I wish my son could see us win another, but Bettman doesn't want Canadian based teams to win, so I have to accept he likely never will.

Many fans just want the game they watch to be good. It's not a shocking revelation.

FYI - you started your reply by saying how "stupid" of a comment I made, but then finished your rebuttal with a random conspiracy theory. LOL!!!!!!!!

In a stupid post contest, you win.

I want more than a rebuild, I want a complete change of philosophy from the team. I'm really tired of watching a conservative defense first team that stifles or blatantly ignore any offensive talent that it comes close to.

The Habs have been boring me for a long time now and my interest have been slowly dwindling away.

I want more than a rebuild, I want a complete change of philosophy from the team. I'm really tired of watching a conservative defense first team that stifles or blatantly ignore any offensive talent that it comes close to.

The Habs have been boring me for a long time now and my interest have been slowly dwindling away.

This, exactly this.

The equity holders need to feel the pain. Otherwise nothing will change.

Many fans just want the game they watch to be good. It's not a shocking revelation.

FYI - you started your reply by saying how "stupid" of a comment I made, but then finished your rebuttal with a random conspiracy theory. LOL!!!!!!!!

In a stupid post contest, you win.
Have you noticed no Cdn based team has won since 1993 and Calgary had the one in 2004 stolen.

In about 3 weeks it should all come into focus. Weber playing injured, Price inconsistent, Max non existent. Big road trip coming up will decide it all. Tank Nation will probably be unleashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back