• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

To Tank or not to Tank - Krusty setting the O/U at 65 pts - Can it be done??

Tank or no Tank

• Tanks away!!!

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No tanks!!!

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He needs to keep playing his favorites at all the wrong times, like last minute of play, to 79, 51 and 74. The weakest players need to excel at what they do best for the rest of the season. Markov clearly doesn't want to or can't skate anymore, and he can barely cover guys on the PK, therefore he must play every PK. Therrien just needs to make sure the right guys are on at the right time. Like maybe putting our 3rd/4th liners vs 1st-2nd liners on the other team. Tons of things we can do. But the most important thing is we must give Condon every remaining start lol. This is for the greater good, every player and even the coach must be on board with the big picture.

Why? Scrivens' stats. are even worse than Condon's.

He had ample opportunity in the last two months to save the season and did nothing.

Yeah, I know, you'll ignore this, but i write it for others....

Here is the thing.

How does he save the season? Trade for a goalie like Reimer, and a top 6 forward rental?

Sure that would probably get us in the playoffs, but does it win the cup? No.

Without Carey Price (or another elite goalie) this team doesn't win the cup. No chance. At the best of times they don't score enough. They need a heroic goaltending performance (conn smythe worthy) to win. And Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, and Braden Holtby aren't available.

So if Bergevin knew that Price coming back was always up in the air, and never guaranteed... then he's done the right thing in keeping future assets and letting the season play out. No point chasing a playoff spot with future assets, if you don't have a chance to win the cup. And without price they have no chance. (and if things played out differently... ie they tread water without out him and Price came back, Bergevin would have had time to make a deadline move).

It sucks cause the team keeps losing, but this was absolutely the right strategy given the situation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, you'll ignore this, but i write it for others....

Here is the thing.

How does he save the season? Trade for a goalie like Reimer, and a top 6 forward rental?

Sure that would probably get us in the playoffs, but does it win the cup? No.

Without Carey Price (or another elite goalie) this team doesn't win the cup. No chance. At the best of times they don't score enough. They need a heroic goaltending performance (conn smythe worthy) to win. And Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, and Braden Holtby aren't available.

So if Bergevin knew that Price coming back was always up in the air, and never guaranteed... then he's done the right thing in keeping future assets and letting the season play out. No point chasing a playoff spot with future assets, if you don't have a chance to win the cup. And without price they have no chance. (and if things played out differently... ie they tread water without out him and Price came back, Bergevin would have had time to make a deadline move).

It sucks cause the team keeps losing, but this was absolutely the right strategy given the situation.

I would like think that there was a better option than Scrivens out there that we could have had for cheap.

Sadly Scrivens looked good in his first two games with us but the team didn't show up at all. He started sucking after that with the rest of the team.

He had ample opportunity in the last two months to save the season and did nothing.

In truth, anything he did would be akin to pitting a bandaid on a severed limb. Futile. Especially when it looks more and more like price isn't any closer to coming back, I'm happy as a pig in mud that he didn't trade futures for a fix to this.

No, once price went down it was all over but the crying.

In truth, anything he did would be akin to pitting a bandaid on a severed limb. Futile. Especially when it looks more and more like price isn't any closer to coming back, I'm happy as a pig in mud that he didn't trade futures for a fix to this.

No, once price went down it was all over but the crying.
In retrospect yes. However when Price was injured noone expected this drop. To say well why do it, well that is Bernie's job.

Reimer...
Ask leafs fans what he would go for. I guaran-****ing-tee it wouldn't be "cheap"

So after giving away future draft picks and/or prospects, we would need to have Reimer bring us to the cup? Hell, I might be biased, bit I don't think Reimer would get us into the playoffs, and if he did, just barely.

Draft picks and prospects for the 12th overall pick or maybe one short round of playoff hockey? No thanks.

Who? Given me an example of a goalie who can play the number one position who could be had for cheap. Because if a goalie can play the number one position, they usually don't come cheap
Not my job to borrow a Krustism but I suspect Cam Ward would have performed better than Scrivens.

In retrospect yes. However when Price was injured noone expected this drop. To say well why do it, well that is Bernie's job.

Bernie's job is to win the cup. That doesn't mean it has to be this year. If losing now gets you pieces that can get you the cup later on as opposed to trying in vain this year, you go for the pieces that bring you closer.

Hell, shanny in Toronto job is to win the cup and the Leafs are tanking happily to get that done, why shouldn't we be happy?

Ask leafs fans what he would go for. I guaran-****ing-tee it wouldn't be "cheap"

So after giving away future draft picks and/or prospects, we would need to have Reimer bring us to the cup? Hell, I might be biased, bit I don't think Reimer would get us into the playoffs, and if he did, just barely.

Draft picks and prospects for the 12th overall pick or maybe one short round of playoff hockey? No thanks.

Didn't know Leafs fans make deals - goalies don't have high market value, especially UFAs to be. Probably would've cost Ghetto + mid round pick. I'd have no issues with that to be honest.

He has done nothing to "tank" which is an ugly word. If he was planning for the future he wouldn't have signed the guys he did.

You are implying this is part of some master plan but it isn't.

Not my job to borrow a Krustism but I suspect Cam Ward would have performed better than Scrivens.

See. Cam ward and James Reimer are suppose to be the saviors of this sad sack team? Cam ward, who has himself been horrible, one can say worst than Condon? James Reimer who would be expensive and as another poster said is injury prone? These are the guys who would carry this team on their backs to the post season and if price was put for the season, the cup?

This is why I'm happy MB is in charge. If MB sacrificed the future of team for bandaid solutions, then this situation would be even worst than it is currently.

Fyi - the first time Price got hurt Ken Campbell (Hockey News) and Bobby Mac said Reimer would cost Tinordi "straight up swap"......

He has done nothing to "tank" which is an ugly word. If he was planning for the future he wouldn't have signed the guys he did.

You are implying this is part of some master plan but it isn't.

He was looking for a stopgap that could be had for cheap, like you said. Problem is, stopgap who come cheap don't work.

If he believed that this team could compete and that price coming back was a certainty, he probably would have gone for a more expensive fix.

I doubt he believed either come January

Back