• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Murphy and PDG Recalled; Pesce to IR

Ryan "Showcase" Murphy :sarcasm

I don't think so. Carrick would probably be the next one up but he's at the AHL ASG. And he's a left shot. With Pesce out, that leaves Faulk as the only righty. So that's Murphy or Biega.

I'm with andyt on this one....I suspect the Canes might have gone with Carrick had he not been headed to the AHL all star game. What will be interesting to me to see is if the Canes actually put Ryan Murphy in there instead of Jordan. This could be just an insurance callup and not result in Ryan Murphy playing at all on this trip.

I'm with andyt on this one....I suspect the Canes might have gone with Carrick had he not been headed to the AHL all star game. What will be interesting to me to see is if the Canes actually put Ryan Murphy in there instead of Jordan. This could be just an insurance callup and not result in Ryan Murphy playing at all on this trip.

They're going to Calgary and Winnipeg first. With Pesce on IR, there is no way they'd travel out there with only 6 healthy defensemen.

We know that Slavin and Hainsey can play the off side, they've done it this season. Jordan can barely play on the left side, I don't think they want to experiment with him on the right side. Pesce also played on the 2nd PP unit, so Murphy would be a more natural fit there.

I'm ok with Murphy playing, certainly he helps the PP and our ability to move the puck out of the zone. He just needs to be better than Jordan, which is a pretty low bar. I'm a little bit leery of the trainwreck version of Ryan Murphy we saw very briefly when the Canes decided to swap him with Slavin for what amounted to a single game. Hopefully we get the early season version of Ryan Murphy where we was adequate in his own end and dangerous when transitioning to the attack and joining the rush. The one game he did play in place of Slavin was the infamous 5-1 home loss to New Jersey. That version of Ryan Murphy needs to never be seen again. His stat line in that game actually looked pretty good, 5 hits(?!?!) and 3 blocks and 2 shots, -1, but I remember some terrible turnovers and just awful overall play from him that game and screaming that Slavin needed to put back in there (which he of course was).

That said, I still wouldn't be surprised if Jordan plays in Calgary. If Murphy starts he is going to be on a short leash if he struggles in Calgary.

Last edited:
That one game Murphy had coming back from injury was bad. but he wasn't that bad when he got injured I'm not saying he lit the world on fire or anything but he didn't directly seem to be the cause of goals against often. If we see post concussion Mrphy it'll be bad. I'm figuring with the time in the A he won't look as flat though there will probably be some pains. He's Very different compared to the guy he's replacing.

For all of Ryan Murphy's faults...and there are many. There is no way Jordan should get in the lineup ahead of him. None. Period. The Canes have to figure out exactly what they have with Murphy and decide what to do with him. Murphy still has to have some upside. The Canes know what they have in Jordan, and it is not an NHL defense man.

For all of Ryan Murphy's faults...and there are many. There is no way Jordan should get in the lineup ahead of him. None. Period. The Canes have to figure out exactly what they have with Murphy and decide what to do with him. Murphy still has to have some upside. The Canes know what they have in Jordan, and it is not an NHL defense man.

Murphy should be showcased the next couple of weeks leading up to the deadline, period! If Ryan Murphy is still a Canes prospect come September when the next training camp opens, he could be falling even further down the depth chart behind Fleury and McKeown. Get this guy in the lineup with the Pesce injury and see if anyone is interested around the league.

When I have seen him play in Charlotte, he looks awesome......when we are on offense. Defensively, he is constantly out of position, watching the puck and losing his man, often resulting in shots at wide open nets (with goalies occasionally making spectacular saves)

When I have seen him play in Charlotte, he looks awesome......when we are on offense. Defensively, he is constantly out of position, watching the puck and losing his man, often resulting in shots at wide open nets (with goalies occasionally making spectacular saves)

A converted forward project and a future Johnny Gaudreau in the making for Murphy perhaps??? Unbelievable skating ability and speed with good hockey sense, yet a smallish frame to play defense in the NHL...

3rd Period Calgary
01:48 CAR Michal Jordan Interference against Joe Colborne

This was as ugly a penalty as I have seen anyone ever take. Pretty sure this one put Peters over the edge with Michal Jordan. The camera went directly to Peters who seemed to be very animated and it seemed to me that he was saying he was done with him.

3rd Period Calgary
01:48 CAR Michal Jordan Interference against Joe Colborne

This was as ugly a penalty as I have seen anyone ever take. Pretty sure this one put Peters over the edge with Michal Jordan. The camera went directly to Peters who seemed to be very animated and it seemed to me that he was saying he was done with him.

Which may have accelerated Pesce's return and/or exacerbated his injury. I checked the TOI for that game because I couldn't remember Jordan being back on the ice. He only played 3 more shifts in the 3rd period and one of them was immediately after coming out of the box. His last shift lasted 3 seconds because Calgary took a penalty. He played a total of 2:11 in the 3rd period and didn't see the ice in the last 10 minutes of the game.. Hanifin played 8:45, Liles 7:02, Faulk 8:16, Hainsey 6:17 and Slavin 6:59. If the plan was to keep Pesce out until after the break, it failed miserably because Jordan failed miserably.

Which may have accelerated Pesce's return and/or exacerbated his injury. I checked the TOI for that game because I couldn't remember Jordan being back on the ice. He only played 3 more shifts in the 3rd period and one of them was immediately after coming out of the box. His last shift lasted 3 seconds because Calgary took a penalty. He played a total of 2:11 in the 3rd period and didn't see the ice in the last 10 minutes of the game.. Hanifin played 8:45, Liles 7:02, Faulk 8:16, Hainsey 6:17 and Slavin 6:59. If the plan was to keep Pesce out until after the break, it failed miserably because Jordan failed miserably.

Seriously ... at this point I'd rather play a door knob than Jordan. At least an inanimate object would be in position every so often.

Seriously ... at this point I'd rather play a door knob than Jordan. At least an inanimate object would be in position every so often.

He has definitely taken on the role as the team pylon. When Crosby went by him at center ice recently he just decided to stop skating and watched the play. His teammates were skating back to pick people up. He just flat gave up on the entire play. By the way, Crosby scored.

He has definitely taken on the role as the team pylon. When Crosby went by him at center ice recently he just decided to stop skating and watched the play. His teammates were skating back to pick people up. He just flat gave up on the entire play. By the way, Crosby scored.

Pylons don't commit hooking/holding penalties and thus are in fact an upgrade over Jordan.

Again ... my ire is aimed not at the kid, who just isn't an NHL hockey player, but rather than personnel "geniuses" who signed him to a one way deal. A deal that I'm certain Bill Peters would like to roll up and stick somewhere special.

Pylons don't commit hooking/holding penalties and thus are in fact an upgrade over Jordan.

Again ... my ire is aimed not at the kid, who just isn't an NHL hockey player, but rather than personnel "geniuses" who signed him to a one way deal. A deal that I'm certain Bill Peters would like to roll up and stick somewhere special.

10/4 on the bad penalties. I still think it is better to go ahead and pay him to sit while letting the prospects play either here or down on the farm. Somebody has to do it.

Edit: I have to admit that when Jordan was resigned I was stunned. To top it off he was the first signing of the year for the RFA bunch if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Probably just an insurance policy.

Who knew all of Slavin, Pesce, and even Hanifin would work out for us this season?

It's the universal excuse: Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Probably just an insurance policy.

Who knew all of Slavin, Pesce, and even Hanifin would work out for us this season?

It's the universal excuse: Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Except for this ... say Slavin and Pesce didn't work out. Frankly that's a legit hypothetical because not many in this organization thought they were ready to play NHL minutes this season. And say Wiz doesn't get hurt. That means you came into the season thinking that Jordan was in your NHL group, and probably in your top 6. His contract reflects that.

Which is NUTS.

Hoping he's just a 7, but prepared for him to be a 6, seemed to be where they were before training camp began.

Guess he looked promising as a continuing development project toward the end of last season...but not so much this season.

Of course, look at the options we have now. Hard to look good compared to that bunch.

Not so desperate anymore, we are.

Back