• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Oh no, we suck again

Sabrenator

Sabres & Golf Forum Moderator
Since its been awhile for our last activity here, probably for good reason, maybe we can strike up some conversation on why is this bad again?

Through 50 games, Buffalo is still at the bottom of the league. We are one point behind dead last, one point! Did anyone actually think we would be this terrible?

Honestly, no I didn't. I thought Buffalo would be right outside the playoff picture. Not a strong team but a team at least that could give some top teams trouble. So, what gives? Why are we so damn bad? Are we the Oilers of the East?

I have a few reasons behind it, and I believe they're fairly viable. I'll start with goaltending. Since the second period of opening night, we have missed our potential starting goaltender for close to 45 games. We were stuck with Chad Johnson and Linus Ullmark. Now I think its safe to say that by having a career backup and rookie goalie, you're probably going to struggle. Yes, yes we did. Johnson and Ullmark showed some games that they can hold their ground, however most nights, easy goals went by. We lost close games due to late fluky goals. Games where we should have had a point or two turned into zero points. Should we be optimistic that Lehner is back? I believe so. Since his return, Lehner's save percentage is 0.936 with a 2.26 GAA. He played a strong game in Ottawa last week holding the fort in the third period for the W. I think with consistent goaltending from Lehner, we should be able to win a few of those tight games.

Another reason for our poor play has been lack of scoring! Can't win if you can't score goals. Moulson has 4 goals, Gionta has 6, Zemgus has 5, Ennis has 3, and Kane has 11. The scoring depth has been nonexistent. Without ROR and Eichel producing, we have had no help from the so called "vets" on this team. Zemgus has been very disappointing, I feel he should be a 20 goal scorer yet he may not crack 10 this year. Moulson is a tire fire. Gionta is a turnover machine. Ennis has been injured and makes poor decisions. Kane has been an enigma. Most nights he looks like a raging bull, in yet he can't put the puck in the net. Our depth has been hurting this team. Like I said before, without the young guys scoring, we have no chance to win.

Now I know our defense has its issues but I think a problem this year has been coaching. It sounds harsh but Bylsma has been frustrating at various times. Line juggling throughout the game, poor starts in the first period, the late game defensive shell the team turns on when going into the 3rd period, dropping forwards low in the defensive zone preventing offensive breakouts, and choosing the right goalie! There's been numerous times I've said to myself, "Why is Johnson playing over Ullmark?" or "Johnson has been hot lately, why not start him?" Our third periods get locked down and our defense isn't there yet to hold the fort. We have 25 goals in the first period this year. Why is it so hard for us to come out swinging? Is it necessary to have all these forwards drop low in our zone? We get stuck in the clutch and grab game where we never win. The constant line juggling during games is mind boggling. I think sometimes he uses a dart to choose whose next to play with Eichel. Finally took him 50 games to put Zemgus next to Eichel.

This team has been frustrating. We all want them to win. It's hard to preach patience to Buffalo fans however I think with time, we can turn this mess around. Last year was our tank year. Now we need to improve. I look forward to seeing what we can do with a healthy starting goalie this second half of the season. What's your guys' thoughts?

UPDATE:

Last time I wrote in here, we were one of the worst teams in the league. As of now, we are almost at .500 and just passed Montreal in the standings......things looking up?

Back