• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Two new rinks in Morrisville

This project has been in the works for years...and now I'm thrilled that its location has been moved to less than a mile from my office. Lunchtime hockey, here I come!!!

Cary only has 1 rink and it's one of the oldest around , the ice house.

It's also well below standard size. My understanding is that the land is leased from Crossroads Ford and Polar only owns the building. Since my daughter stopped playing hockey, I haven't been in there but I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

It's also well below standard size. My understanding is that the land is leased from Crossroads Ford and Polar only owns the building. Since my daughter stopped playing hockey, I haven't been in there but I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

Cary has always been one of the worst rinks I have ever played or coached in and my rink history goes back to working in some real barns over the years in Canada as a teenager! That low ceiling was awful. The two new rinks sound long overdue for this area!

Last edited:
Anyone else remember when you had to go to Hillsborough to skate?

Was a far cry from walking to the ponds damned near every day when we moved here in 1973.

And no dumbass Dyer kid to beat up regularly!

Was a far cry from walking to the ponds damned near every day when we moved here in 1973.

Jim (Pucking Lamplighter) has some great Hillsborough rink stories from back in the day!

Speaking of old NC rinks...has anyone ever been in that old barn up in Spruce Pine, NC? We use to take youth teams up there for the odd tournament.

Cary place and Raleigh Center Ice started as roller rinks. RCI was also a nightclub for a while.

Cary/Apex/Morrisville have 4 roller hockey rinks. At the Apex roller hockey place Martin Gelinas showed up to play a pickup game one night, he knew a guy on one of the teams.

Cary place and Raleigh Center Ice started as roller rinks. RCI was also a nightclub for a while.

Cary/Apex/Morrisville have 4 roller hockey rinks. At the Apex roller hockey place Martin Gelinas showed up to play a pickup game one night, he knew a guy on one of the teams.

I use to see Sami there too. I think his wife played in the indoor soccer league.

Yeah, Cary used to be a roller skating rink. Same setup as the one in Wilmington and Greenville. Not even sure if those even exist any longer. Never ideal, but better than nothing. I haven't been on the ice in Cary in many years, but the last few times I played there, the ruts along the boards were 2" deep. The ice was always in bad shape. The mats on the floors were torn all to pieces, and it looked like they hadn't spent a dime on keeping the place up since the ice was first laid down.

Daniel Boone rink, right? Went there once or twice a year growing up. I recall it was a hole.

I use to see Sami there too. I think his wife played in the indoor soccer league.

She did. She used to play in league games before my my son's roller hockey games. IIRC he was in the learn to play league out there for just one season before moving to Jellybeans which was a lot more convenient.

I believe th guy that owns jelly beans owns the Cary ice house and polar rents from him.
They've thought of setting up a second sheet in the front.
i thought the ice house might close with the opening of 2 sheets, but the ice house has one heck of a track out program and is very convenient for parents to drop their tykes off in the morning.
My big question is can the area support two more sheets?
I also suspect polar will operate the new ice like they do at the factory.

At the Apex roller hockey place Martin Gelinas showed up to play a pickup game one night, he knew a guy on one of the teams.

That's nothing! A couple of weeks ago, Erik Cole played in an Upper C men's league game at The Factory. (For those unfamiliar, Upper C is generally the second lowest level of adult league hockey...yours truly plays in Lower C.) He apparently took it pretty easy, but was still banned from playing any additional games!

It's not unusual to see some former players playing at the local rinks. This past summer I played in a pick up with Sarge Halko.

Last edited:
Daniel Boone rink, right? Went there once or twice a year growing up. I recall it was a hole.

Calling the Daniel Boone rink a hole is being too kind. It was more like a warped outhouse floor that was frozen, but it was the only indoor ice rink around. The building is still there with a broken down vehicle parked up under the shed roof and some left over building material leaning up against the building. It even housed a low end flea market for a short time. Mercifully, the world has moved on without it.

I got in trouble for decking some @hole kid (I was still a kid myself) who was intentionally kicking holes in the ice with the toes of his rental figure skates. He was there with some group (church, scouts, whatever) and their group leader started to come at me for punching the jerk. Luckily, the rink manager saw what I did and why I did it. He was on his way to throw the kid out, but I beat him to it, in not so kind a way. Duke & UNC hockey clubs were getting ready to play as soon as the rink cleared and were sitting on the bleachers waiting their turn. The Duke guys also saw what was happening and why I decked that kid's punk @$$. Cooler heads prevailed or some of the Duke hockey club was going to jump the group leader coming after me.

We had a puck clear the glass and take out one of the windows near the roof peak there one evening. I heard it showered glass on a couple who was outside smoking beside some parked cars. I never heard if either of them was hurt, or what they were smoking for that matter. It was definitely a different time and place.

I was in one game there where a guy on the opposing team was whistled for his third penalty in the first period (we scored on 2 of them) and when he came out of the box, he was swinging his stick over his head like a helicopter, headhunting for the ref. Both sides all jumped him, the ref went and hid, and the police gave Mr. Stick swinger a ride to jail. It wasn't so funny at the time, but the look of fear in the ref's eyes was spectacular. The stick swinger got banned from the rink and the league for life.

We used to have to drive to Greensboro to watch the Generals play to catch any half-way skilled, competitive hockey in that day. Greensboro coliseum only had one level back then too.

There used to be Skate Town roller rink on the south side of Highway 70 just west of Duraleigh Road. It had maple floors and no boards. Playing hockey there was absolutely forbidden. I think there's a storage place there now or something.

Jim

Last edited:
Calling the Daniel Boone rink a hole is being too kind. It was more like a warped outhouse floor that was frozen, but it was the only indoor ice rink around. The building is still there with a broken down vehicle parked up under the shed roof and some left over building material leaning up against the building. It even housed a low end flea market for a short time. Mercifully, the world has moved on without it.

There used to be Skate Town roller rink on the south side of Highway 70 just west of Duraleigh Road. It had maple floors and no boards. Playing hockey there was absolutely forbidden. I think there's a storage place there now or something.

Jim

I screwed up by back SO badly at that place one time. Caught my right foot in a HUGE soft spot about 5 feet from the boards and took the rail right in the middle of my back at speed. I had spasms for weeks. Ugh. Bad memories.

And yup ... four on the floor roller skating only at the Town.

But the idiot owner decided to host weekend all ages punk shows on weekends for a few years before he shuttered the place in the 80s. We had some hellacious good times going to those back in the day. There was inevitably a station wagon or two full of girls looking to get their roller disco on who would show up and get so, so confused by the punks.

I skated at Daniel Boone around 72-73, I think with a church group . They also had a frozen sledding run when I was there. We went down on a toboggan. (not the hat)

As a kid in NJ I skated outside at a pond near my school. I think places like that still exist but are not frozen as long each year from what I've heard, at least in NJ.

I remember Skate Town. Saw the Dead Kennedies there in 84.

I remember a bill with Black Flag and the Minutemen along with a couple of DC straight edge groups. That one probably sticks out because I later saw one of the last 2 or 3 shows that Minutemen played before D Boon died in that van accident ... opening for REM on a truly epic night at, of all places, the old Raleigh Civic Center. Mike Watt baby ... nothing but the truth on the low end.

Back