• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Jets 2/5 8:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes continue the Canadian roadie with a trip to cratering Winnipeg.

The Jets are finishing a 6 game homestand and have played 9 of 10 at home. They're 1-4 on the homestand and 3-6 in their last 9. They're last in the Central Division, 8 points behind the Wild and tied with Calgary and Edmonton for fewest points in the conference. Ondrej Pavelec hasn't played since Thanksgiving because of a knee injury. Rookie Connor Hellebuyck has started 21 of the last 23 games. His numbers are excellent, 2.19 GAA and .924 Save %. Canes killer Bryan Little and Dustin Byfuglien lead with 15 goals. Blake Wheeler has 35 assists, tied for 4th in the league. The Jets have 7 players with 11 or more goals.

The Canes will try to put Tuesday's miserable performance against Calgary behind them. No practice yesterday, they went curling yesterday. We probably won't hear anything until after the morning skate. Peters hasn't confirmed a goalie. Lack has started the last 6 and, with Tuesday's game, has allowed 4 or more in 3 of those 6. He's also had his only 2 shutouts in that string.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

I would be very surprised to not see Cam in goal tonight. I wouldn't be surprise to see Jordan for Murphy either and possibly Malone for Terry or heck even Gerbe for Terry.

Terry puzzles me this season. In years past he's at least shown a little something on the boards and in front of net, but this season he seems to just float in all three zones.

I would be very surprised to not see Cam in goal tonight. I wouldn't be surprise to see Jordan for Murphy either and possibly Malone for Terry or heck even Gerbe for Terry.

Maniscalco tweeted that it will indeed be Ward in net.

The Jets are a big team that likes to bang and crash, so Jordan over Murphy and Malone over Terry makes a ton of sense for tonight.

Just saw a tweet from jbk_ltd that tonight's game is free on NHL.tv.

And per Michelle McMahon, today's lines at practice:

Versteeg/E. Staal/Lindholm
Nestrasil/J. Staal/Nordstrom
Skinner/Rask/PDG
Gerbe/McClement/Nash

Hainsey/Faulk
Liles/Slavin
Hanifin/Jordan

Ward in goal.

Not feeling good about this one tonight. We have a terrible habit of playing down (or below) to the level of our opponents who are sucking.

Ward had a good sequence right at the end of the second after giving up one.
Corollary: The canes defense didn't do all that well :)

I need to not watch the game We got 4 before I remembered it was an 8 PM start not 9.

They are owning us this third period.

Thanks Jordan and Nesty!

Last edited:
Not feeling good about this one tonight. We have a terrible habit of playing down (or below) to the level of our opponents who are sucking.
Well, after the 1st period it is clear this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. After the 2nd and 3rd, not so much. I've never seen the Canes skate so fast in the first, but we were totally on our heels for much of the rest of the game.

Oh well, glad to get this win that shouldn't have been as difficult as it was.

I didn't watch all of this, only caught our goals in the third. Some observations:
- Just me or did the team apparently put something in Nestrasil's pre-game meal?? 'Unleashed' is a word that comes to mind. He was not only aggresive but showed some sweet moves out there a couple of times and- produced.
- Ward got better as the Jets woke up- a good thing
- Jordan Staal and his line are officially our number 1 in my mind.
- This game should serve enough that we can still trade the big E and do something. Team game.

Back