• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 16m16 minutes ago
Wendel Clark to Auston Matthews: "The pressure thing is blown way out of proportion. Because he’s coming to the best city to play in."

Yeah when everyone loves you and you can do no wrong it is. How many Leafs players in history experienced that?

What's debrincats skating like? If that is a plus for him I would take him. He's played with two "nhl ready" centres and had no problem keeping up and putting the puck in the net. For every toews you need a Kane. I'm hoping marner becomes Kane but I have no problem doubling down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's debrincats skating like? If that is a plus for him I would take him. He's played with two "nhl ready" centres and had no problem keeping up and putting the puck in the net. For every toews you need a Kane. I'm hoping marner becomes Kane but I have no problem doubling down

It's okay. It's not as good as the other two centers but because he played with him people think his skating is bad. It's not.

I've never been a size guy but he is just too tiny. Is that not a concern?

I've never been a size guy but he is just too tiny. Is that not a concern?

Its literally the only reason he didn't go 15-20 picks ago. But there are a bunch of 5'7ish players that have had good NHL careers (Gionta, Gaudreau, Ennis, Gerbe, Sheary, Descharnais, Atkinson, Marchand, Gallagher). Its a concern, but its not prohibitive.

According to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman will consider a sign-and-trade deal with Steven Stamkos to get the free agent center an eight-year on a new contract.

Is this possible? I've never seen the nhl do it but could this be a way that Tampa gets something for stamkos? And at the same time giving him something he wants?

I know most times you won't get anything but Lou respects little "Favours" like this. Bozak would be a nice get for Tampa as a consolation prize.

According to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman will consider a sign-and-trade deal with Steven Stamkos to get the free agent center an eight-year on a new contract.

Is this possible? I've never seen the nhl do it but could this be a way that Tampa gets something for stamkos? And at the same time giving him something he wants?

I know most times you won't get anything but Lou respects little "Favours" like this. Bozak would be a nice get for Tampa as a consolation prize.

Stevie is being smart here....the ability to fire some salary towards Tampa takes the potential market for Stamkos from a half dozen teams with enough cap space to make it happen, to half the league.

Saw a post saying we should go after Cliff Pu. I definitely wouldn't mind that(even though his numbers don't look that good). Not a fan of Debrincat at all and i'd rather have someone that can create more chances(and he has decent size) instead of a better finisher that is tiny.

For some reasons I was under the impression that this, as in getting another team to offer an 8 year deal, was not allowed. Hmmm

Oh and I can't believe Ottawa gave a third rounder to move up 1 SPOT for Brown. Awesome.

They correctly assumed that NJ was going to take a forward.

Brown was by far the best forward left at that point and was projected to go in the top 10 on most pre draft lists. Moving up one spot made perfect sense in this situation.

You can question Dorion's pedigree as a GM, but he is exceptional at the draft and this latest move is just another example.

PS The Sens have a ton of inside info on this player, as he trains with their head strength trainer Chris Schwarz. My guess is they had him ranked MUCH higher on their lists.

Last edited:
Back