• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016 NHL Playoff Discussion Thread

cmaleski2

I'll start one of these off...

Rangers off to a tough start with a Game 1 5-2 loss to the Pens. Lundqvist takes a Marc Staal stick in the eye and has to leave after 1 period. Eric Staal posts a -3.

That series just got shortened to 4 games. I really think it could have gone 5 with Hank.

Pens playing without Malkin and Fleury and still kinda manhandled the Rangers...lackluster effort by the Blue Shirts overall and the series gets a helluva a lot harder without the King.

I'll start one of these off...

... Eric Staal posts a -3.

Sadly, I thought Eric was noticeable on the ice last night and actually active on the offensive side. Guess the D suffered as he isn't capable of expending energy on both sides of the ice. If the Rangers lose the series and he ends up with no points, any guesses on what type of contract he ends up with next year?

Yeah, Eric Staal has killed the value of his next contract. But he is still Eric Staal and some teams will be interested, but you would think GMs would be very leery about giving Eric anything more than 3 years based on his rapidly declining play.

You know where I think his best landing spot is if he is willing to go 3 years and maybe $15-16 million ish? Toronto. Call it a gut feel, but I could see the Leafs grabbing Stamkos at 7 years $70 million and also signing Eric for 3 years $15 million and surrounding them with hungry young talent.

Eric is going to need to consider what his priorities are...will he take less money and term to play for a team that most likely will make the playoffs? Is he interested in participating in the rebuild in Toronto? Is he going to just find the biggest contract he can get and take that no matter where it is? He needs to be realistic about the fact that no matter what he and his agent might think, he is not a superstar anymore. He's a vet 2nd line player at best. There is a market for that type of player, but its way under his current pay level.

I hope he finds a nice big contract and landing spot he is comfortable with. If someone is willing to overpay and give him longer than 3 years then good for him, I will happy for him (and happier he found such a deal from someone other than the Canes).

Last edited:
Yeah, Eric Staal has killed the value of his next contract. But he is still Eric Staal and some teams will be interested, but you would think GMs would be very leery about giving Eric anything more than 3 years based on his rapidly declining play.

You know where I think his best landing spot is if he is willing to go 3 years and maybe $15-16 million ish? Toronto. Call it a gut feel, but I could see the Leafs grabbing Stamkos at 7 years $70 million and also signing Eric for 3 years $15 million and surrounding them with hungry young talent.

Eric is going to need to consider what his priorities are...will he take less money and term to play for a team that most likely will make the playoffs? Is he interested in participating in the rebuild in Toronto? Is he going to just find the biggest contract he can get and take that no matter where it is? He needs to be realistic about the fact that no matter what he and his agent might think, he is not a superstar anymore. He's a vet 2nd line player at best. There is a market for that type of player, but its way under his current pay level.

I hope he finds a nice big contract and landing spot he is comfortable with. If someone is willing to overpay and give him longer than 3 years then good for him, I will happy for him (and happier he found such a deal from someone other than the Canes).

He may soon become the next Brad Richards...from a monster long term deal to a much smaller short term deal to try and win another Cup as a complimentary second or third line player. Even a three year contract seems like a long term for a player that has slowed considerably. I cannot see a rebuilding team like the Leafs going in that direction when they are already trying to dump Bozak, Lupol and Robidas from their current contracts.

Playoffs?

Ugh. I'm once again just not in the mood. I'll snap out of it by the Conference Finals, based on history. But for right now I really can't be bothered.

Understand the sentiment, but you missed a bunch of good hockey last night :)

Meh, I thought both Eastern Conference games last night were dull and lacking that passion and extra body checks you usually see out of the gate in the post season. I'm actually hoping that Caps-Flyers series is a physical, nasty series with lots of passion and hate. I'm too old to stay up past my bedtime to watch most of those Western Conference series that end at 1am...

Meh, I thought both Eastern Conference games last night were dull and lacking that passion and extra body checks you usually see out of the gate in the post season. I'm actually hoping that Caps-Flyers series is a physical, nasty series with lots of passion and hate. I'm too old to stay up past my bedtime to watch most of those Western Conference series that end at 1am...

I enjoyed all three -- STL/CHI was the best probably, but the first period and a half of DET/TB was really good edge-of-seat stuff for me. PIT/NYR was rough when the score got out of hand so I'd place it #3, but the backup goalies angle was interesting too. Hope Lundqvist is OK, NYR will need him to have a sniff of a chance.

Understand the sentiment, but you missed a bunch of good hockey last night :)

Hope. Had a nice dinner out (Stanbury on N Blount St is fantastic FWIW), finished getting my daughter ready for Oak City Comicon on Saturday, read for a half hour and slept like a baby. Didn't miss a thing.

Love Margaux's and Stanbury. Two of our favorites. Another restaurant closer to our neighborhood we like that is similar is Mandolin. Nice to see people on the board have good taste both in sports and food!

Last night was another good night of playoff hockey. I particularly enjoyed seeing Nashville win game #1 and it would be nice to see them break through the Western Conference for a change.

Love Margaux's and Stanbury. Two of our favorites. Another restaurant closer to our neighborhood we like that is similar is Mandolin. Nice to see people on the board have good taste both in sports and food!

Last night was another good night of playoff hockey. I particularly enjoyed seeing Nashville win game #1 and it would be nice to see them break through the Western Conference for a change.

Made my first visit to Mandolin about a month ago to meet the owner/winemaker from Smith Story wines. Definitely making a repeat visit.

Back