• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Will Eric Staal Return to the Canes for the 2016-17 season?

Will Eric Staal Return to the Canes for the 2016-17 season?

• Yes - Start of Season

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes - Midseason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 26 96.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There were pros and cons for Eric wherever he landed after last season - I don't blame him for focusing on whatever positives he takes from the way it worked out.... Same as anyone would do.

I agree that Eric rarely ever had any wingers that were actually first-line talent.

Even the few big names he had for brief periods of time were probably best deployed as second-liners by a deeper organization. And many times we had at least one bottom-six winger over-slotted on the first line with him.

Mostly to play defense, mind you, since he and the other winger rarely were. And to go get pucks off the wall. So not a total mismatch for assigned duties.

Still, not much talent around him to clean up all those thousands of shots of shots he took, some of which resulted in loose rebounds not capitalized upon.

Have to acknowledge his comments as Mostly True. But, effort level comments also noted.

It was a good break-up and Ronnie is a good breaker-upper.

*cringes at the thought of the next Karmanos press conference*

The coaches weren't good enough. The system was no good and boring. The players he played with weren't good enough. The market was too small. He made millions and had as many excuses. He was full of cheese and whine.

I wonder why we haven't heard anything from little brother. Last I heard he was pissed and RF would let him think things over before doing the exit interview. Maybe it is just a matter of when someone will actually ask him the question. Where is Luke and the other N&O reporter? Funny he has been the beat reporter for about ten years and his name slips me. I believe it is Chad or something. Eric says Jordan personality is just like his so I wonder if Jordan has his whine going or is he going to come in the next season wanting to act like a leader.

so for years people want staal gone, and now that he's gone they continue to bash him. I guess that's typical though. Even when they got what they wanted, they still bitch and moan about the guy.

If anybody remembers Herb Sendek the NCSU fans were still going after him years after he left for the ASU job. I guess fans just get in the habit of bashing a guy and it takes years to stop.

so for years people want staal gone, and now that he's gone they continue to bash him. I guess that's typical though. Even when they got what they wanted, they still bitch and moan about the guy.

If anybody remembers Herb Sendek the NCSU fans were still going after him years after he left for the ASU job. I guess fans just get in the habit of bashing a guy and it takes years to stop.

Not sure who the "they" are you are referring to. If it is me than I have to say that I never really have said anything about E Staal on this board in the past other than he lost his shot or something. By the way, it has only been five days since he signed with another team so to compare this with the "years after" NCSU statement does not add up. It looks like you have been waiting to use this analogy once Eric was gone maybe for some time.

Okay for the record than. I never liked E. Stall for his pouty, feel sorry for me, attitude. He was a very good hockey player on the cup team because he had skill and speed. He was a surprise on a team full of hard working and skilled veterans and he did not have the other teams full focus. Once the team started to be split apart he was becoming a dominant player but that was then. Maybe Semin broke Staal's, who knows, anything's possible but the 8 plus million should say something. E Staal should never have been the Captain of an NHL team because his ego is way to big and he had to try too hard to fit in. RF wanted to reduce his roll on the team and Staal could not have that.

I wish ES the best for his future but am one who is glad to see him go. My question is how does this affect little brothers attitude?

I wish ES the best for his future but am one who is glad to see him go. My question is how does this affect little brothers attitude?

Don't know about attitude, but little brother seemed to play better when he wasn't in big brother's shadow.

I think we should give Jordan the benefit of the doubt here until proven otherwise. If we just look at the facts to date we know three things. 1) Jordan upped his game and played better after Eric was traded. 2) He has also not said one negative public thing about the Canes organization since his brother was traded and not resigned over the summer. 3) Jordan has played on teams and been successful without his brother.

If we consider all those facts Jordan will likely return in the fall and be a leader on this team going forward. He is a professional athlete and I am sure he understands the business. Let's all assume he will be fine until we here facts that say otherwise.

As far as the Eric witch hunt goes....have at it. I won't waste any typing on defending him or his game at this point. I wish him the best and am glad he is gone.

Last edited:
:iagree:

Except for a reminder that the best revenge is living well.

It all happened. The break-up went well.

I'm moving on to a bright future that I think very much involves Jordan Staal as an important component.

I think the latest round of "trashing him" is that he said he's looking forward to having fun playing the game again, and really I don't think he's getting trashed too bad.

I think having fun is mostly what we wanted him to be doing here, and he hasn't done so for years. I'm not sure why it's going to be fun for him there other than he can be a complementary piece for a team that doesn't need him to lead or be the horse. If leading isn't fun, then why keep the C here for all those years.

He didn't seem to have fun with the Rangers. Hope things are different for him next season.

Not sure who the "they" are you are referring to. If it is me than I have to say that I never really have said anything about E Staal on this board in the past other than he lost his shot or something. By the way, it has only been five days since he signed with another team so to compare this with the "years after" NCSU statement does not add up. It looks like you have been waiting to use this analogy once Eric was gone maybe for some time.

Okay for the record than. I never liked E. Stall for his pouty, feel sorry for me, attitude. He was a very good hockey player on the cup team because he had skill and speed. He was a surprise on a team full of hard working and skilled veterans and he did not have the other teams full focus. Once the team started to be split apart he was becoming a dominant player but that was then. Maybe Semin broke Staal's, who knows, anything's possible but the 8 plus million should say something. E Staal should never have been the Captain of an NHL team because his ego is way to big and he had to try too hard to fit in. RF wanted to reduce his roll on the team and Staal could not have that.

Also throughout not at time, not ever do I recall any of the slights we have consistently heard about Eric's game when speaking of guys like Brind'Amour and Francis. So, to me, I just don't like Eric's personality and everything that followed seemed to be the same, whether it was wine and cheese dunno, but he never seemed to deliver once he was given the reigns. Never. Maybe the last time outside of the championship season where he actually upped his effort, game and shed his pouty attitude was the playoff run in 08. He has all the talent but seems to be stricken with a case of the me I's. (entitlement issues)

Bashing him? No need to. His actions will remain imprinted in my mind. It wasn't his production that won us a CUP. So, if you eliminate that you never really got much out of the guy, certainly not what we were paying him for.
That folks is just stating the fact and I am sure nobody will let that one go for a long long time, if ever. Nice guy et all aside.

Not sold on this new theory though about J. Staal being the same as E. Staal. I would argue his actions speak otherwise. Well, they are both notorious slow starters to the offseason... but otherwise, wait and see. I don't expect J. Staal to suddenly mold into what his older brother pretty much always was for us; A waste of soup.

If you mean 20 guys on a message board, you are correct. If you mean people paying money to sit in seats at actual games, you are incorrect. Depends, I guess. Thanks for the gratuitous shot though. Always appreciated.

Matt Doherty was bashed after he left but not much since the team improved a lot.

And I guess Sidney Lowe mostly gets a pass from fans since he's a famous alum. Of course that didn't help Les Robinson. Guess he was a regular alum, not a famous one.

I wish Eric Staal good luck. I wish he was not the lightning rod for all that was bad with this team. I wish he did not look so pouty on ice when he was frustrated. I wish he'd would have dropped his gloves on occasion. I wish he had better wingers when he played. I wish Rutherford hadn't tethered the entire team to his yoke. I wish Bruce Boudreau much luck in drawing out Eric Staal's old skill set.

Back