• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Will Eric Staal Return to the Canes for the 2016-17 season?

Will Eric Staal Return to the Canes for the 2016-17 season?

• Yes - Start of Season

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes - Midseason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 26 96.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only if he is willing to take a short term make good contract will he be back. I put those odds at about 5% at the moment although if he continue to embarrass himself in the playoffs for the Rangers that offer might start looking better and better.

If he doesn't get signed quickly by someone else on July 1st I'm going to get more and more nervous about it. Right now I think he still thinks he is a great player who deserves to be paid like a first line forward.

Last edited:
I think he and Ward both returning will be enough to drive me away for good. That's what I think. Time to turn the new corner, not keeping circling the old block.

What incentive is there to bring either back beyond sentiment?

Unfortunately Cam played 'better' the 2nd half of the year and there isn't much out there, so he is much more likely to return.

Eric Staal on a 1 year make good deal could be a decent 3rd line center and bridge to something better. I don't want that either, but I could see the spin from management if he does come back for very very little term and much much less money (something like $6 million per, he's not going to sign a one or 2 year deal here for less than Jordan makes).

I agree, move on, but until Eric is inked elsewhere unfortunately there is as possibility he comes back on a short term deal. He is crushing his market value with his uninspired and ineffective play.

Last edited:
Expletive No

Anybody who thinks that is a good idea should just walk away ... in shame.

Let's hope that he has moved on for good.

Sure have not seen much out of him since he started wearing a blue shirt.

Eric Staal even at a 1 year/$1M contract is a horrible idea for the Canes. The main problem for Eric is not the money or the production (and those are both big negatives for Eric) but his impact on the rest of the lineup. It was pretty clear that the other "skill" guys on the roster all raised their game when Eric was finally traded. While Eric seems to be a good person overall, his locker room influence ends up being negative as he pouts on the ice and gives questionable effort at times. He appears to hold others back (not on purpose) as he casts a big shadow across this organization. This team is ready to move on without him and I wish him the best in a new city next year.

This team is ready to move on without him and I wish him the best in a new city next year.

Amen!

He is running out of brothers to play with. Time for Eric to get what he can get on the open market for his last contract and move on from the past. I thought the trade to the Rangers would have rejuvenated him but that has not really happened.

Amen!

He is running out of brothers to play with. Time for Eric to get what he can get on the open market for his last contract and move on from the past. I thought the trade to the Rangers would have rejuvenated him but that has not really happened.

He only played those 2 games in the 12-13 season with Jared. He spent last year with the South Carolina Stingrays in the ECHL.

Right now I'm thinking the only thing that might break Eric out of that spell he's been under for five years ... you know, the one were he's convinced that he's still the player he was in 09 ... is to go the entire summer and through the start of the season without a contract. Then MAYBE he could hook on with somebody who has an injury void to fill and resume playing like he gives a crap more often than twice a month.

At the rate he's going now, if he gets a contract with the wrong team ... say, Toronto just for giggles ... he's as likely as not going to end up in the AHL with TRULY hurt feelings.

Only partially kidding abut that, if I'm honest.

We have turned the page, so let's not go backwards. Maybe he can regain his swagger, but there was almonst NOTHING about his game this season that was good. If Eric can return to a reasonable form, then I'll be delighted for him - but not here in Carolina.

someone will take a chance and give him an offer, probably 1 year. He may try to hold out for a better offer but that may not work so he could well be unsigned late into the summer.

Only Ron Francis knows for sure.

But from everyone's demeanor, I think not.

The breakup went well. Why mess it up with a reconciliation?

Back