• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laine v Matthews

I was talking about Matthews.

But Finland sitting their youngest player in favour of their otherwise veteran lineup to protect a lead at the end is a meaningless criticism, anyways.
Fair enough, but in the contrary, the fact team USA puts their youngest player on the ice in key minutes to protect a lead or get the equalizer says a lot about AM.

it does, but then again USA is icing a very young and inexperienced team in general.

Yeah, from what I've seen he's been at least as good as Larkin, and I didn't catch the game yesterday but apparently he went head to head with Barkov.

Matthews is a good NHL player now.

I'm not sure the upside is there with his playmaking ability, but he is a stupid fast skater and has a good shot. The speed really makes him difficult to handle. He's a good player, but I agree that I don't think he's their Datsyuk replacement.

even the scouts haven't been able to watch them against the same level of competition, though.

and scouts know that prospects can change quick. what they saw last year or even 6 months ago might not have much relevance now.

But I think we're seeing that even though Laine has clearly stepped it up to an impressive level much higher than he was at before, he's still a cut below Matthews, even considering age. Which is nice.

Though I am interested in seeing what Laine does going forward - he was pretty upset about this last game apparently and vowed a performance like that would never happen again. Let's see if that's all talk or not.

He also claimed he wasn't trying on that giveaway cause he thought it was offside ... which was clearly bs

I'm not sure the upside is there with his playmaking ability, but he is a stupid fast skater and has a good shot. The speed really makes him difficult to handle. He's a good player, but I agree that I don't think he's their Datsyuk replacement.
Still, he had a solid rookie season with 25G, 45 pts. Comparing Larkin and Matthews on the same team, it's safe to assume Matthews should be a safe bet for 50Pts in his rookie season?

I'd honestly be dissappointed with less than a 60pt pace, and he could do better.
John Tavares' rookie season had 25G 54 pts. Taylor Hall had 22G 42 pts.

Is 60 points for a rookie really realistic? Who's the last rookie (like, legit rookie at 18 year old, not some European rookie who's played years in a pro league) that had 60 points?

Since the 04-05 lockout:

1.Crosby (18): 103pt pace
2.McDavid (18): 88
3.Kane (19): 72
4.Kopitar (19): 70
5.RNH (18): 69
6.Toews (19): 69
7.MacKinnon (18): 63
8.Skinner (18): 63
9.Eichel (19): 57
10.Duchene (19): 56
11.Mueller (19): 55
12.Tavares (19): 54
13.Hall (19): 53
14.Huberdeau (19): 53
15.Yakupov (19): 53
16.Landeskog (19): 52
17.Gagner (18): 51
18.Nylander (19): 48
19.Pastrnak (18): 48
20.Stamkos (18): 48

And while many of those guys were playing with limited minutes and/or untalented linemates, I think Matthews would be getting lots of ice time and playing with lots of skilled players.

I think Matthews would be getting lots of ice time and playing with lots of skilled players.

Thats the big key IMO. If Matthews is getting PP minutes and 2nd line ice time all year he'll be able to produce. If Babcock eases him in, you never know.

John Tavares' rookie season had 25G 54 pts. Taylor Hall had 22G 42 pts.

Is 60 points for a rookie really realistic? Who's the last rookie (like, legit rookie at 18 year old, not some European rookie who's played years in a pro league) that had 60 points?

Nathan MacKinnon?

it does, but then again USA is icing a very young and inexperienced team in general.

Which makes his performance even more impressive.

Honestly though, even if they iced a better lineup he'd be one of their go tos. He's really good. With some real wingers he would have had a few more assists yesterday.

And I love how poised he is.

He's really good. He is a better prospect than your avg first.

And imo tbe reasons ppl might have for picking laine first are the same ones that resulted in hall going over seguin.

Having seen some more of him in the tournament, he just plays so much older than he is. He has a ton of confidence, and he loves to just attack, attack, attack.

He also frequently displays some very Zezelian puck-kicking skills, if anyone is paying attention. Never seen a player kick the puck so much.

Which makes his performance even more impressive.

Honestly though, even if they iced a better lineup he'd be one of their go tos. He's really good. With some real wingers he would have had a few more assists yesterday.

And I love how poised he is.

He's really good. He is a better prospect than your avg first.

And imo tbe reasons ppl might have for picking laine first are the same ones that resulted in hall going over seguin
This. 100% agreed.

Back