• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laine v Matthews

Stamkos has scored 79 goals over the last two years playing mostly with Killorn, Callahan and Filpulla.

So fine, maybe he can't score 60 goals and 100 points without St. Louis, but he can score 40 goals and 70 points playing with no one, and that is pretty damn good. Better than 95% of the players in the NHL.

St. Louis also went from a couple of 80 point seasons, to a few 90 point seasons and an Art Ross once Stamkos broke out. They likely impacted each others production.

St. Louis Pre-Stamkos:
2005- 06 - 0.76 ppg
2006-08 - 1.24 ppg
2007-08 - 1.01 ppg
2008-09 - 0.98 ppg

With Stamkos:
2009-10 - 1.15 ppg
2010-11 - 1.21 ppg
2011-12 - 0.96 ppg
2012-13 - 1.25 ppg
2013-14 - 1.00 ppg

Post-Stamkos:
2013-14 - 0.42
2014-15 - 0.70

Last edited:
He went from being a PPG player with Tampa in 60+ games.....to a 0.52 PPG player with the Rangers in 44 games.

The same season.
It's funny how that fact often doesn't get brought up when Marty's being credited for Stamkos's success.

On moment he was a PPG player, and then as soon as he pulled on a Rangers sweater, he looked like an old man in heavy decline.

Stamkos's 13 goals & 21 points in 24 games after coming back from his broken leg were all without St-Louis as well (he was traded the day before Stamkos's return).

Chris Johnston
Had a scout who spent time in Switzerland this year compare Auston Matthews to Joe Sakic. A long-range projection, but high praise.

Marc Crawford also made the comparison:

Cho98UIXEAENz_5.jpg

A 6'2 Joe Sakic.

I concur with the "scoring center" description.

From all I've seen of Matthews thus far, he seems like a shoot-first guy always focused on putting the puck in the net. I really haven't seen too much in terms of playmaking from him.

Granted, I haven't seen him play that, that much.

I don't question the numbers. Just when I've watched him, I haven't seen any crazy playmaking the way that we do with Marner, for instance.

Matthews excels by general ownership of the puck and making the smart play. He controls the boards really well, spots the open man really well and has great passing skills and instincts....but comparing him to what Marner does, which is insane, is unfair. Marner creates angles and finds people blind in a way that only some of the most ridiculous playmakers in recent history (Kane, etc) do.

Matthews excels by general ownership of the puck and making the smart play. He controls the boards really well, spots the open man really well and has great passing skills and instincts....but comparing him to what Marner does, which is insane, is unfair. Marner creates angles and finds people blind in a way that only some of the most ridiculous playmakers in recent history (Kane, etc) do.

Yep..And I like the fact they're a bit different as it gives us more options to play however we want(in case opponents throw some impressive defensive game we have guys with different skills to combat against it).

I don't question the numbers. Just when I've watched him, I haven't seen any crazy playmaking the way that we do with Marner, for instance.

There is a huge difference between not being an elite "crazy playmaker" and not offering much in terms of playmaking.

Mats Sundin wasn't Joe Thornton, or Adam Oates passing the puck, but he was still a hell of a playmaker.

Its just a huge over generalization. The numbers speak for themselves. Auston Matthews is a great playmaker even if the youtube videos of all his goals don't make it seem that way.

great players see the ice well. doens't mean they tee up easy tap ins every game, but they move the puck into good spots. think about the 80 point kessel we had a few years ago.

Back