• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Why is the media pimping Doughty for the Norris so hard?

On overall talent, Doughty > EK >>> Burns

But they don't give the Norris based on a player's 3-year averages, should be based on how they actually did, in which case I would vote Burns, then EK, then Doughty. If Doughty were up in the low-60s for points, then I'd be fine giving it to him.

Dashboard 1.jpg
Except for Burns this year.

Except he wasn't.

Karlsson 82 > Burns 75 (stuff your primary points BS where the sun doesn't shine)
Karlsson 4th in NHL in scoring > Burns at 11th (Burns on a higher scoring team)
Karlsson -2 on a team with -8 goal differential> Burns at -5 on a team with +33 goal differential
Karlsson 21 more points than his next teammate > Burns 3rd on his team in scoring with 7 less points than the leader.
Karlsson 5th in NHL with 96 giveaways > Burns 2nd in NHL with 102 giveaways
Karlsson 14th in NHL with 61 takeaways > Burns 25th in NHL with 53 takeaways
Karlsson 11th in NHL with 175 blocks > Burns 29th in NHL with 145 blocks

3 year chart...since that seems to matter to Mindz
http://public.tableau.com/shared/NG8T29764?:display_count=yes

Karlsson is a generational talent and had a monster season. If he was a Leaf or Hab the positive press he'd get would be endless. Since he's a Sens player and not Canadian we get campaigns to steal his awards and give them to lesser D men.

Last edited:
View attachment 4117

Except he wasn't.

Karlsson 82 > Burns 75 (stuff your primary points BS where the sun doesn't shine)
Karlsson -2 on a team with -8 goal differential> Burns at -5 on a team with +33 goal differential
Karlsson 21 more points than his next teammate > Burns 3rd on his team in scoring with 7 less points than the leader.

Karlsson is a generational talent and had a monster season. If he was a Leaf or Hab the positive press he'd get would be endless. Since he's a Sens player and not Canadian we get campaigns to steal his awards and give them to lesser D men.
Is that like how you and Holmes talk about Subban you denigrate him for being black and being on the Canadiens?

Except he was.

26 > 16

Karlsson had a lot more secondary assists. Burns had a lot more goals.

Want a 2nd opinion? Hockeyref's Point Share

Burns 12.7
Karlsson 11.9

They rank Burn's season as superior to Karlsson's. That's with both tying in their "goals created" metric at 27, which takes team scoring into account.

Hooray for secondary assists

+/-. Awesome

What's the difference if the offence on the club is compressed or spread out? It's Burns fault that Ottawa's best forward wouldn't make the first line in SJ?

Burns had a better year. You want to drag 3 year numbers into this (after shitting on them previously, which is oh so very you), have at it. I've shown you the goal suppression numbers from this season.

Let it sink in....the Sens allowed more goals per minute with Karlsson on the ice than with Cowen, Borowiecki, whoever. Last out of 8 defenders who qualified among the Sens group. That's ****ing dreadful defensive work, you don't get to blame your shitty blueline for dragging him down when he was worse than the lot of them.

Last edited:
When you bring +/- into a discussion on THIS board, you've already lost the argument. Serious fail there, SENSIBLE.

No...no!

Plus minus is Doughty's strongest stat. It must be valid.

And who cares if Burns had slightly higher numbers generated by some dork formula, it's not the Housely award!

If Karlsson was on a decent team, and had a decent partner, he would obliterate every offensive category. Put him on San Jose or LA and there would be none of this nonsense.

If Karlsson doesn't win, it's pure thievery.

When you bring +/- into a discussion on THIS board, you've already lost the argument. Serious fail there, SENSIBLE.

Derp

Burns had a worse +/- on a team with a MUCH better goal differential.

+/- isn't valuable without context. I provided context.

Except he was.

Except he wasn't

26 > 16

Karlsson had a lot more secondary assists. Burns had a lot more goals.

Karlsson had a lot more points. On a team with less offensive help.

Want a 2nd opinion? Hockeyref's Point Share

Burns 12.7
Karlsson 11.9

They rank Burn's season as superior to Karlsson's. That's with both tying in their "goals created" metric at 27, which takes team scoring into account.

Link please.

Hooray for points

+/-. Awesome
Context is awesome...just because you don't like the fact that Burns had a worse +/- on a team with a MUCH better goal differential, doesn't mean you get to pretend it is meaningless.

What's the difference if the offence on the club is compressed or spread out? It's Burns fault that Ottawa's best forward wouldn't make the first line in SJ?

The difference is that Karlsson carried the Sens and Burns rode on his teammates coattails...obvious to anyone who isn't an idiot.

Burns had a better year.
Post some linked data to support this claim.
You want to drag 3 year numbers into this (after shitting on them previously, which is oh so very you), have at it. I've shown you the goal suppression numbers from this season.
I put it in to show how stupid it was when you first did it...only you could be dense enough not to see that.

Let it sink in....the Sens allowed more goals per minute with Karlsson on the ice than with Cowen, Borowiecki, whoever. Last out of 8 defenders who qualified among the Sens group. That's ****ing dreadful defensive work, you don't get to blame your shitty blueline for dragging him down when he was worse than the lot of them.

post the link.

You know, I'm just going to wait until Karlsson is "robbed" of the Norris and laugh. I've posted the numbers and the arguments already. I'm done.

Karlsson winning the Norris doesn't do Ottawa any favors at all. It just makes him more expensive on his next deal. Financially speaking, Karlsson not winning the Norris makes a ton of sense. Unfortunately, he actually deserves to win it.

It should be like the boxing belts.

You don't beat the champ on points. You beat him by knocking him out, and nobody is remotely close to doing that.

I just don't get it. One guy having a beyond career year (Burns) and another who is apparently getting the DiCaprio vote shouldn't be enough to unseat an incumbent.

Back