• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

All good points. Plus how would we cap their weather/ocean advantage?

Or Toronto's population/popularity?

While it sucks that TB gets a "discount" on top players, they're probably still not a team that will forever be able to run at the cap max, either. I mean, this is freaking Tampa Bay we're talking about, not NY or Boston or Toronto. If you want an "after-tax" cap, then you're probably also going to get a league where the cap is set at a level where Toronto can't spend more than Ottawa or Phoenix as well. You guys know that no matter what the cap is set at, you can afford to spend to that level. How many other teams can say the same?

The Hawks, Pens, Kings and Bruins were #4, 5, 6, and 7 in operating income this year according to Forbes. Those are 9 of the last 10 cup winners and none are no tax states (caps were 11th).

Seems like cash is the biggest competitive advantage. The Leafs are one of the haves.

Or Toronto's population/popularity?

While it sucks that TB gets a "discount" on top players, they're probably still not a team that will forever be able to run at the cap max, either. I mean, this is freaking Tampa Bay we're talking about, not NY or Boston or Toronto. If you want an "after-tax" cap, then you're probably also going to get a league where the cap is set at a level where Toronto can't spend more than Ottawa or Phoenix as well. You guys know that no matter what the cap is set at, you can afford to spend to that level. How many other teams can say the same?

also an advantage is that many things are not capped

babcock for example

🤨
8eb50ee6723fb5d24a13e1bb4c6112d4.jpg

Apparently "Rockets" means good looking ladies (yeah we are getting old).

AM found that old (2012) tweet and jokingly liked it.

Reading through some season projections and wanted to get people's opinion here:

Who scores more points this year - Matthews, Tavares or Marner?

If Matthews stays healthy he'll lead the team in goals and points. It's easy to forget just how invisible Marner was in the 1st half of the season, but I don't think it's something we can just ignore and assume that he's got 82 games of consistent, elite production figured out yet. As for the Tavares factor, as has been pointed out here previously, the production gap per minute between Tavares and Kadri is much, much smaller than their reputation gap is.

Marner is really good, but Matthews is legitimately one of the best players in the league. Just needs to stay healthy.

If Matthews stays healthy he'll lead the team in goals and points. It's easy to forget just how invisible Marner was in the 1st half of the season, but I don't think it's something we can just ignore and assume that he's got 82 games of consistent, elite production figured out yet. As for the Tavares factor, as has been pointed out here previously, the production gap per minute between Tavares and Kadri is much, much smaller than their reputation gap is.

Marner is really good, but Matthews is legitimately one of the best players in the league. Just needs to stay healthy.

Back