• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

Matthews, but I think they are all going to score a lot. Throw Nylander in there too.

There is just too much talent to not score a **** load of goals if everyone is healthy.

Assuming health for everyone, or otherwise going by points-per-game or points-per-minute---Matthews is going to lead the way.

I'll honestly be surprised if he doesn't score 50 goals this year as well.

If I had to rank them in terms of offensive production for next season, I'd go:

1) Matthews
2) Marner
3) Tavares
4) Nylander
5) Kadri

If Willy can stop being fancy on every shot he'll score more than 22 this year. he's got the pure shot of a 35 goal player, but hasn't produced at that rate so far.

Yeah, I think if you asked me what's surprised me most about the development of the big-3 so far, it would be that Willy's only got 42 goals in 163 games in his first two full NHL seasons. While it's still impressive for a kid that just turned 22 this off-season, I think that's only scratching the surface of what he's capable of.

I am pleased that, the concussion versus Switzerland didn't ruin him. Willy that is. If he can get confident enough to get into the dirty areas some of the time, it would confound opponents that much more. As it is, his little circle the wagons shite, seems to be pretty effective. I don't think I have ever seen an NHL player get away with that as much as he does.

Man I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. I think Matthews can get 60 goals and 60 assists. That's right, 60/60. Matthews hasn't looked all that hot since beginning of preseason. But when he really gets going and that wicked power play there's really no reason that a player of Matthews calibre is not capable of 60/60. I may be going out on a limb with the assists numbers but the goal scoring is a no doubter. He's on pace for 164 goals, not bad.

He's awesome, but 60/60 is not happening. Not with his line mates. He's a very good passer, but not an elite one.

He's awesome, but 60/60 is not happening. Not with his line mates. He's a very good passer, but not an elite one.

He's a great passer, but not a great playmaker. It's in his head to drive to the net and score, not create something pretty to set someone up for a tap in. Literally the exact opposite of Marner.

So he's not going to cross 45 assists this season. Unless Willy returns and is a 30+ scorer.

If he ends up scoring more in a Leafs jersey than Sundin did, which is pretty much assured if he stays healthy, then yeah, he'd have to be.

As awesome as Marner is and will be, if Matty is busy putting up 50 goal seasons with regularity, he's going to get the nod.

Yeah, I've seen a franchise player on the Leafs in my lifetime (Mats). But I think the closest we've come to seeing a "generational" talent was Dougie, and that was only really 2 years at that level. Even then though, as great as those seasons were, he finished 7th and 4th in scoring respectively, and there was a comfortable gap between Dougie and the ridiculously elite players of that era (Gretz, Lemieux). Matthews has the ability to be just a hair below a generational level player imo. Basically super prime Dougie level, but every year for the next 10+ instead of just two of them. Loved Mats, but there is a big gap between how good Mats was, and how good Matthews already is at barely 21 yrs old.

I think it's a valuable exercise, when determining how good players across eras were compared to current day, to look at how much better the absolute best are than the player you're looking at. Matthews is neck and neck with the best players of this era offensively. Anyone else we would put forward for best Leaf was a pretty large step down from the best in their era.

Last edited:
Back