• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

A little more about Matthews playing here:

But Zurich Lions coach Marc Crawford thought it best to give him “the Toronto talk,” the facts of life for a young star in the NHL’s busiest city, should the Maple Leafs win Saturday’s draft lottery with their 20% odds. Crawford spent time here with Pat Burns’ staff while running the Leafs’ farm team in St. John’s, Nfld., before graduating to the bigs. But it turned out to be a brief conversation with Matthews, who knows what might await.

“The bright lights and big city aren’t going to bother him,” Crawford said in a phone interview. “He knows he’s most likely going to Canada (The Leafs, Oilers, Canucks, Flames, Jets and Habs will total 66% of the possible ping-pong ball combinations) and we’ve had the talk about going to Toronto.

“He knows he would get support from Lou Lamoriello, Mike Babcock and a great staff. He knows it would be a marvelous place to start.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/26/auston-matthews-gets-the-to-talk

I think you could take someone to the cleaners with this pick.

Matthews may be a good player, but he's not Crosby or McDavid. You could probably get a team like Edmonton to give up a nice player and their 4th.

Or send him home to Phoenix for Max Domi, their 7th and whatever else you can get out of them.

I think you could take someone to the cleaners with this pick.

Matthews may be a good player, but he's not Crosby or McDavid. You could probably get a team like Edmonton to give up a nice player and their 4th.

Or send him home to Phoenix for Max Domi, their 7th and whatever else you can get out of them.
No chance we trade.

Why not?

You could take Tkachuk, unite the Nylander brothers, Chychrun or Bean. You still have Pittsburg's first as well. Plus whatever package you get back. Then you sign Stamkos. Your GM would be an idiot to not even consider it.

You could turn the clock ahead a couple of years, and add 2-3 great prospects instead of only 1.

A quarter for two dimes and a nickel is never the kind of trade you should make with the 1st overall pick.

Especially when the top-rated prospect is a very skilled 6'2" #1 center.

There is still the possibility that he is the next Nail Yakupov, Alexandre Daigle or Brian Lawton, however remote you think that the chances may be.

I don't see how getting a 20 year old Max Domi, a guy that was basically born to play for the Leafs, the #7 overall pick which quite possibly gets you Jr. Nylander, plus whatever else you can get from Arizona, for a guy that doesn't really want to be in Toronto anyway, can be considered two dimes and a nickel.

This isn't McDavid. People are saying he would have likely went #3 if he was eligible last year.

Or, you trade the pick and take Laine.

I just see this as an opportunity for the Leafs to really set up their future.

I guess this thread should come with a trigger warning for Sens & Habs fans

TightAlarmingJanenschia-size_restricted.gif

Sure if Arizona offeres us OEL + 7th consider it or if they offer Strome, Domi and 7th consider it, if not just use the pick.

Side note, what dumb thing are the Oilers going to do with the 4th? Could See both Winnipeg and the Islanders pushing hard for it while sending a Dman back.

There is still the possibility that he is the next Nail Yakupov, Alexandre Daigle or Brian Lawton, however remote you think that the chances may be.

I don't see how getting a 20 year old Max Domi, a guy that was basically born to play for the Leafs, the #7 overall pick which quite possibly gets you Jr. Nylander, plus whatever else you can get from Arizona, for a guy that doesn't really want to be in Toronto anyway, can be considered two dimes and a nickel.

This isn't McDavid. People are saying he would have likely went #3 if he was eligible last year.

Or, you trade the pick and take Laine.

I just see this as an opportunity for the Leafs to really set up their future.

Matthews goes 2nd overall last year and 1st overall in most years since 2005 and maybe Tavares' years. There may be a couple other debatable years in there.

Back