• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

Matthew's is just too good for Babcock to shelter him for long in that way. Not getting the toughest assignments? Yeah sure, we've got Kadri for that....but not getting a bunch of PP time and 5 on 5 ice with skilled wingers? Nah. There's no justification of it, Matthew's is so much better than bozak (and honestly...probably Kadri too) that there's just no way to bury him without it being absolutely ridiculous

Matthew's is just too good for Babcock to shelter him for long in that way. Not getting the toughest assignments? Yeah sure, we've got Kadri for that....but not getting a bunch of PP time and 5 on 5 ice with skilled wingers? Nah. There's no justification of it, Matthew's is so much better than bozak (and honestly...probably Kadri too) that there's just no way to bury him without it being absolutely ridiculous

I'd much rather have him start on the second line than on the third line. He's undoubtedly getting power-play time, but I really hope it's first unit minutes. I'm more curious about his face-off prowess. Apparently he's extremely good there.

19yr olds since 05/06

Crosby 1.52
Stamkos 1.16
McDavid 1.09

that's outstanding.

Kane 0.88
Kopitar 0.85
Toews 0.84

That's really good.

Eichel 0.69
Skinner 0.69
Duchene 0.68
Mueller 0.67
Taveres 0.66
Hall 0.65
Huberdeau 0.65
Yakupov 0.65
Landeskog 0.63
RNH 0.60
E.Kane 0.59
Mackinnon 0.59
Nylander 0.59
Larkin 0.56

I mean that's still really good but nothing too crazy, especially for a guy getting full topline minutes and PP time in a relatively defense-free system.

Adjusted ppg or gtfo

Eichel played 19:07 per game, and 37.5% of his points came on the PP.

contrast with a guy like Willy who played 16:20 per game with 23% of his pts on the PP.

He also scored 14 points in his first 32 games and 42 points in his last 49 to end the season, which is 0.86 ppg. Eichel is a damn good hockey player.

adjusted for what?

Scoring differences from year to year. Scoring is down since Sid's, Toews, Kopitar, Kane's rookie years. Not a whole lot, but for example in Kopitar's rookie year, Eichels' production would have been worth .75 adjusted, .78 in Sid's.

Nylander ias getting overshadowed. I think he wins rookie of the year.
It's a hell of a far cry from when Nazem Kadri came into five straight training camps as the only high-end forward prospect we had. Thankfully that's an experience Marner and Nylander will never have to have.

It's so much better than last year when we were stuck watching crap that was about to get traded and finish 30th.

We'll still be watching a bunch of junk this year too, but at least there's high end studs to go along with it this time.

This is the last year of the transition. The remaining vets traded by the deadline, the kids separating themselves by their play and showing us who is going to stick, and then maybe one more high end first round draft pick.

Next season it's on, but this season is going to be the most fun we've seen in at least 12 or 13 years.

I'd much rather have him start on the second line than on the third line. He's undoubtedly getting power-play time, but I really hope it's first unit minutes. I'm more curious about his face-off prowess. Apparently he's extremely good there.

I'm more worried about linemates 5 on 5 than whatever line we deem that as. If he's playing with Marner and Soshnikov and getting 14+ 5 on 5 minutes a game with 2:30 or more PP time...I'm not even mad.

If he's playing with 2 plugs though, then yeah, that's a problem.

I thought Babcock already said he was going to start Matthews with nylander?
Yes he did ... well he 'hinted' at that.

And then he also hinted they signed Martin to 'protect' Matthews (I know, I know ...) so 1 line is already set : Martin - Matthews - Nylander.

And then Kadri had good chemistry with Komarov, but poor chemistry with JVR, who had good chemistry with Bozak ... so the top 3 lines are kinda set

XXXX - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Bozak - YYYY
Martin - Matthews - Nylander

And I'd say XXXX is Soshnikov, YYYY is Nylander.

And all that changes by Christmas, cause Babs realizes AM needs no protection, and Martin is just dragging the line down. Plus by then Matthews has played himself ahead of Bozak and Kadri. and is on 1C with JVR and Nylander.

No I think if you REALLY want to protect the kids you need to ride shotgun with them. In this day and age you can't just send a goon to the guy who cheapshots your kids 1 shift or 2 later and expect him to answer the bell. You gotta be there right there when it happens to make the guy pay, anything else they'll just send their goon to fight your goon and how is that intimidating anyone?

Back