• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

I see a fair bit of McDavid being in Alberta and all...and as much as I love Matthews, I don't know if this is a tree I would bark up. McDavid's IQ and ability to move the puck with speed is on a different level. With that said, Matthews is clearly bigger, strong and a better finisher, way more deadly from the dirty areas.

I think it's closer than most people would admit, but I don't think Matthews is on that level.

Is McDavid really as dangerous every shift as Matthews has been this year?

Matthews is also better defensively.

I wouldn't argue with this, but I don't think there's a big gap there. McDavid has a solid work rate away from the puck and knows how to get it back. He's the complete package as well, there's no weaknesses there.

I'll need to watch McD is his zone, cause responsible he may be, but I don't know that he gets back and finds the right place top be like Matthews.

...but really, I'm usually watching Connor flying up the ice

Matthews is really good, great even.

McDavid is on another level.

Its unfair to Matthews to try and compare the two.

Sid and McDavid are the two best in the game... everyone else is fighting for third and Matthews is right in that fight for 3.

The fact that you start off by saying he's really good, maybe even great, is showing some underlying bias.

He can't be in the mix for third best, according to you, and not be absolutely great, one of the best in the league, which he is.

I think it's unfair to compare either of McDavid or Matthews to Crosby. We know exactly who Crosby is and what he's all about. He's still the best. He's repeatedly won it all.

We simply don't know that much about Matthews and McDavid yet, to be honest. McDavid had a bad injury in his first year, and then killed it offensively last year. Matthews was an unstoppable force at both ends of the ice last year and is looking even better this year. I don't think it's clear which will be the better player yet. Is McDavid the faster one - sure. Is Matthews the bigger and stronger one - yep. Can they both do incredible things that most other players can't - obviously. But as of right now, this moment, Matthews looks to me like the one who can will his team to win, while I'm not sure McDavid has that same ability. McDavid is pure offense incarnate who can skate his way past the opposition. Matthews is a scoring machine built to dangle and crash through his opposition. They're pretty different players, but I would not be at all surprised if Matthews ends up having more accolades in the end.

McDavid might be on another level but I think the gap between the 2 has been shrinking. If Auston can find another level things could get interesting.

I know some of you don't like Button but he's been a McDavid supporter and he said earlier today he's changing his stance and would give Matthews Connor McDavid money because Matthews is that good and that much of a difference maker, a difference maker like McDavid. He also said Auston right now is playing better than McDavid.

Last edited:
Matthews is a solid cut above anyone else in that fight.
He's a star, no question. But he still only had 70 points last year. He's not "clearly" better than a bunch of guys like Malkin, Benn, Kucherov, Karlsson, Kane, Toews (lol jk), etc...

Don't get me wrong - there's a solid chance that he might prove that before the end of the season. But he needs to keep it up for a little longer before being definitely better than that next group.

He's a star, no question. But he still only had 70 points last year. He's not "clearly" better than a bunch of guys like Malkin, Benn, Kucherov, Karlsson, Kane, Toews (lol jk), etc...

Don't get me wrong - there's a solid chance that he might prove that before the end of the season. But he needs to keep it up for a little longer before being definitely better than that next group.

I figured he was talking about centres only...

What We Learned: When can we start the Auston Matthews MVP conversation?
Puck Daddy • Ryan Lambert

Not to draw too many conclusions from the first week and a half of the season, but you know that step everyone expected Auston Matthews to take?

Looks like he took it.

Five games into the season, he has exactly that many goals and three assists. This after the season he walked away with the Calder and finished 11th in MVP voting as a 19-year-old. And as far as that Hart voting goes, he probably has a right to feel a little hard done by.

This is a kid who led the league in individual expected goals per hour a year ago, finished fifth in primary points per 60 at 5-on-5 despite drawing the best opponents other teams had to offer, attempted the 10th-most shots per 60 in the league last season, scored 40 goals, got the Leafs into the playoffs and generally pounded on the competition almost every time he was on the ice. As a rookie teenager playing his first season of high-level North American hockey.

And it looks like he took a step.

Okay, yes, Connor McDavid will have something to say about it, but if Matthews isn’t in the top-five at the end of the year, it would be a surprise.

Honestly, it’s not just about how good he looks or how much he’s scoring this year. It’s the fact that a player who was already this good was always likely to get better. And it looks like he might have gotten a whole hell of a lot better.

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-can-start-auston-matthews-mvp-conversation-131444883.html
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
a cut above Gino?

Thing is... he is Malkin. Geno is a big time puck hound and is constantly stealing the puck on the backcheck. He seems to have eased up a bit on his tenaciousness in recent years but I think Matthews is pretty much a Malkin clone. He's a little more prone to shoot, but I can't see a better comparable.

a cut above Gino?

tough call there. malkin's still better offensively, though with a big assist from Sid. matthews is well ahead in the defensive and possession areas, while geno's always injured to boot.

but fair enough geno still above him for now.

Thing is... he is Malkin. Geno is a big time puck hound and is constantly stealing the puck on the backcheck. He seems to have eased up a bit on his tenaciousness in recent years but I think Matthews is pretty much a Malkin clone. He's a little more prone to shoot, but I can't see a better comparable.

Yup, Geno has been my comparable stylistically since last year. Whether he's a better Geno or not, well we'll have to see.

Overall he's much closer to Malkin. Not really sure where you came up with Lindros. Eric played like a tank... don't get me wrong, he had a ton of talent. Matthews has more dangle to his game, like Geno. He's also a puck hound like Malkin.

Back