• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

i think you're capped at how many bonuses you can pay out

7.5% of the cap I think

and that they assume all bonuses are hit for the purposes of calculating the aav.

This I don't think is correct, or else the Hawks would have been over the cap due to the bonuses built in to Panarin's deal and not just pushed into the bonus penalty next season when he hit them. If they included them into the AAV, there would be no such thing as a bonus penalty.

On Twitter someone mentioned that of the last 8 fourth overall picks, Marner is only the 2nd not to receive any schedule B performance bonuses... The other was Larsson when Lamoriello signed him.

On Twitter someone mentioned that of the last 8 fourth overall picks, Marner is only the 2nd not to receive any schedule B performance bonuses... The other was Larsson when Lamoriello signed him.

I'd read that Lamoriello doesn't believe in bonuses, but honoured Marner's because they started negotiating before he got there so that might not be true. It will be interesting to see what happens with first overall. No bonuses probably won't fly.

Elliotte Friedman
One note on Marner contract: he gets the "A" bonuses. Lou Lamoriello historically does not believe in them (see Adam Larsson), but because negotiations began before he was hired, I understand he made an exception. Be interesting to see if it continues.

Yeah, you are right though. He didn't get the "B" bonus, so only $850,000 k. Nylander too.

Does that mean that when we wined and dined Zaitsev a year ago absolutely any team could've strolled in and offered max Schedule B bonuses and he... still picked us?

Crazy. I don't think Vesey will go for that though.

Does that mean that when we wined and dined Zaitsev a year ago absolutely any team could've strolled in and offered max Schedule B bonuses and he... still picked us?
I also recall hearing somewhere that the Flyers had been after him for at least a couple of years, and it was generally assumed he'd sign there.

So I guess Shanahan spending a weekend wining and dining him and giving him a tour of our facilities is maybe all it took to change that.

It appears he left up to 2 million dollars in performance bonuses on the table then.

I'm assuming an exception will be made w the first overall?

To be fair, most of them are major trophy/award/all star related.

One would have to assume, yeah. Even Lou rules have to bend from time to time.

Yup, that's true. I still would've expected a guy who can sign with any team to get more than $0 in Schedule B bonuses though.

Anyone up for giving a brief primer on Schedule A and B bonuses?

IIRC, Schedule A is for things like ice time, points, etc in relation to others on your team. Schedule B is bonuses in relation to others in the league such as top 10 in scoring, or top 5 in Calder voting.

Marner and Nylander won't get any bonuses for their finish in respect to the Calder.

Help settle an argument for me here - what are the chances Auston Matthews starts the season with the marlies?

Yeah, 0.0% chance Matthews ends up in the AHL. He's already got a year of professional experience under his belt, and most scouts seem pretty convince that, like Eichel, he was ready to play in the NHL last season. The only way he ever wears a Marlies jersey is if the Leafs miss the playoffs, and the Leafs think it'll be to his benefit to go on an AHL playoff run. And even that seems kind of far-fetched.

Is Matthews eligible to play for the young guns North American team at the World Cup?
Yep. I would think that his participation in that tournament would hinge partly on how well he does at the World Championships.

Back