• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread - 2016

What? Some made it sound like he was a lock to sign in Toronto due to his father. I happen to be happy that was BS.

Same as some people made it sound like stamkos was a lock to sign in Toronto.
That's simply not true. Nobody said it was a lock, don't be an idiot.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys actually read the boards or you just have a few lines ready to go based on the outcome of signings, trades, games, etc.

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised it's the Rangers. From a "cool place to live" perspective, I guess I get it, but from a competitive standpoint they're the Canucks of the East.

Boston I would have understood, as well as Chicago & Pittsburgh.

What? Some made it sound like he was a lock to sign in Toronto due to his father. I happen to be happy that was BS.

Same as some people made it sound like stamkos was a lock to sign in Toronto.
I'm guessing you can't name any names or provide any quotes. Because what actually happened here is that you swore up and down pretty vociferously that of course Jimmy Vesey would be signing with the Predators, while a bunch of Leaf fans here explained to you in a fair amount of detail why there was a very good chance he wouldn't.

And then when we turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong, you had a melt-down worthy of a 12 year-old girl who'd just been told she's grounded for a year. And in that whole exchange, there were no Leaf fans claiming Vesey-to-Toronto was a lock.

There were probably some Leaf fans who believed we had a shot, due to our management group and the familial connection. Any who did make that argument were proven right by the fact that the Leafs were one of the handful of teams that got to make their pitch to him in person (while teams like Detroit and Montreal were turned away while getting no further than a brief phone call with his agents).

I have to say though---it takes an impressive amount of gall to be so completely and totally wrong about something, and then come back here only a few months later and try to laugh at us for being wrong.

Last edited:
First stamkos and now vesey. Nice.
auston-matthews-nhl-nhl-draft-1-850x560.jpg

Depth is always nice to have so I would've been happy to score another decent prospect for nothing, but when you have the best prospect pool in the league you're not going to be too upset about a Vesey.

Depth is always nice to have so I would've been happy to score another decent prospect for nothing, but when you have the best prospect pool in the league you're not going to be too upset about a Vesey.

+1

When you look at where he would have fit in, it's tough to say that there's any distance between Vesey and the gang of 20-22 yr olds we have with pro experience like Brown, Lindberg, Kapanen, Leipsic. Zach Hyman put up a senior season in the NCAA that was really similar in quality to Vesey's, and at the same age. So yeah, it would be nice to add another quality prospect, but I'm not upset about missing out on him.

+1

When you look at where he would have fit in, it's tough to say that there's any distance between Vesey and the gang of 20-22 yr olds we have with pro experience like Brown, Lindberg, Kapanen, Leipsic. Zach Hyman put up a senior season in the NCAA that was really similar in quality to Vesey's, and at the same age. So yeah, it would be nice to add another quality prospect, but I'm not upset about missing out on him.

Mizzi mentioned sarcastically earlier in the thread that some Leafs fans put guys like Leivo and Leipsic on the same level as Vesey prospect-wise. Is there any reason to think that they aren't?

Mizzi mentioned sarcastically earlier in the thread that some Leafs fans put guys like Leivo and Leipsic on the same level as Vesey prospect-wise. Is there any reason to think that they aren't?

You know, I love nerds. Nerd stats are fantastic and a much better way to evaluate players than the eye test. However, when you're projecting players outside of the NHL you do need a bit of eye test to supplement that nerd ass shit, and this is something that the nerds just don't understand - they think everything is linear at times. Leipsic is 5'9 and not exactly an explosive skater and Leivo can't skate at all. This would generally suggest that they'll have some issues cracking a regular NHL lineup. Vesey, while he's not exactly super elite at any one aspect, does not have those weaknesses. He has an NHL package in every way. He's as safe as they come. When a Keith Aucoin or a Marc Arcobello take a fat shit on the AHL it is important to stop to take a look at them. How do they project as NHLers based on their skillset and playing style?

So yeah, I don't care what nerd ass shit that the nerds come up with in regards to Leivo/Leipsic vs Vesey.

Yeah I don't think Leipic and Leivo are legit NHL prospects. He's more in the Brown/Bracco/Timashov/Kapanen range.

i think he's a step up from that group because he doesn't really have any drawbacks and all of those guys do (be it size, or speed or, in kapanen's case, some questions about his hockey sense/shooting).

vesey's a good prospect and would have been a good add. he isn't another irwin or hanson or gilroy. he's got legit top 6 potential and could be a 25-30 goal guy in the nhl.

he didn't choose us. what can you do?

i think he's a step up from that group because he doesn't really have any drawbacks and all of those guys do (be it size, or speed or, in kapanen's case, some questions about his hockey sense/shooting).

Ya I can't disagree with that. Point was Vesey vs Leivo/Leipsic isn't a tough decision.

Back