• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread - 2016

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Somehow I think the tone of this off season thread is going to be a bit more upbeat than the last few....

JVR-Stamkos-Nylander
Leo-Kadri-Marner
Sosh-Matthews-Hyman
Michalek-Laich-Greening

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Hunwick

Bozak, & Holland traded. Lupul to Robidas island.

Just think, we're really likely to see Stamkos, Matthews, Nylander, & Marner in our forward group in game 1 of 2016/17. Talk about a massive infusion of talent.

Not sure the Leafs need Stamkos. But it's your team.

Not sure the Leafs need Stamkos. But it's your team.

Why not? Kadri is a really good 2C, but if he gets pushed down the lineup to 3C because Stamkos & Matthews are all world, that's better for us. Being that strong down the middle is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's not about "need", it's about having the opportunity to add a player of Stamkos' quality. We'd be foolish to not take advantage.

We need good goalie + 10 mil is big impact on cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need good goalie + 10 mil is big impact on cap

We don't need a goalie tomorrow, and even if we decide that we want one, we have an absolute ton of assets to add one. We're also extremely cap flexible going forward. If we signed Stamkos for 7 years on July 1st, we won't have to worry about re signing Matthews & Marner to UFA contracts until the day Stamkos contract expires. Rielly is controlled for the entire duration of a Stamkos contract on a bargain deal, ditto Kadri. We probably trade/lose JVR at some point instead of paying him 6.5M though.

We have a ton of cap space now, and short of handing out Komisarek and Clarkson contracts again, should remain cap flexible for the next 3-5 years at least.

I have faith the Leafs will sign JVR to another team-friendly deal.

$5.25 or $5.5M sounds nice on an extension.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if a Stamkos deal shocks many (ie, significant home town discount)

Somehow I think the tone of this off season thread is going to be a bit more upbeat than the last few....

JVR-Stamkos-Nylander
Leo-Kadri-Marner
Sosh-Matthews-Hyman
Michalek-Laich-Greening

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Hunwick

Bozak, & Holland traded. Lupul to Robidas island.

Just think, we're really likely to see Stamkos, Matthews, Nylander, & Marner in our forward group in game 1 of 2016/17. Talk about a massive infusion of talent.

I like those lines. To think there's still Kapanen, Leipsic, Lindberg, Johnson, Gauthier, Bracco, and others who there's just no room for. Though at the deadline that fourth line gets shot out of a cannon and three more spots open up.

If we end up using all our picks in the draft, I really hope we take Carter Hart with #31, and follow that up with the next best goalie later on. That, and what we do with the Pittsburgh 1st, are the most important storylines now that the 1st pick is a formality. On the Pitts 1st, I wonder if a package of that 1st plus Bozak can move us up nicely enough in the first round to get a shot at one of the dmen (Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun).

stamkos would take a whole lot of pressure off of Matthews, Reilly, Nylander and Marner. He's a guy that could come in and be the captain and the best player and show all the kids how it's done. It's a great fit for the Leafs.

stamkos would take a whole lot of pressure off of Matthews, Reilly, Nylander and Marner. He's a guy that could come in and be the captain and the best player and show all the kids how it's done. It's a great fit for the Leafs.

Yeah, Stamkos makes just as much sense with Matthews as he did without. Having as many #1 centres as you can afford is a pretty strong strategy when you look at the history of clubs with that kind of depth down the middle.

Back