• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread - 2016

Would everyone be pissed if Marner was sent back? I'm not in support of this just curious.

If he doesn't look ready in his 9 games....no.

Disappointed but not angry. If he plays his balls off, looks ready for the league and gets sent back to ruin the ohl again...yeah, angry

Would everyone be pissed if Marner was sent back? I'm not in support of this just curious.
Yeah, I'd be pissed. I'm all for the "overabundance of patience" theory we've imported from Detroit & New Jersey, but:

1. There's no "one-size-fits-all" development path for prospects. What was right for all the late 1st round picks and mid-round picks that New Jersey & Detroit moved slowly through their system isn't necessarily right for a top-5 pick who's put up historic CHL performances in both his pre-draft & post-draft seasons. The "size" thing is completely overblown too. Marner is Dougie Gilmour-sized, and no matter how long you hold him back, he's never going to be turning into a brick shithouse.

With his slight frame, if he did try to pack on more than 10 or so pounds of more muscle, it'd probably be to his detriment. It's also worth noting that out of the four top-5 picks Lou had in Jersey (Shanahan, Guerin, Niedermayer & Larsson), Guerin was the only one that didn't make the full-time jump to the NHL as a teenager. So, as much as he's portrayed as being rigid & dogmatic, he's always realized elite prospects operate on a different timeline than most.

2. Holding him back in the OHL last year was already being overly patient. Frankly, I think he proved that he would have been perfectly capable of playing in the NHL last year. But I completely supported leaving him back for the same reason I supported leaving Willy in the AHL for almost all of last year when he was clearly ready for the NHL too. Last year was all about clearing the decks, letting Babcock & Lamoriello establish their vision of the Leafs new culture, getting as good a draft pick as possible & leaving ourselves in the best possible cap situation going forward, while this year is going to be a different story with Matthews, Nylander & others on the team and the Leafs' old guard almost completely wiped off the team.

I honestly don't think Marner gives them a chance to send him back. Seems to be working his ass off to make sure that doesnt happen

Kadri: 6x 4.5mil
Schenn: 4x5.125

I like the deal we got Nazem on even more now.
Yep. Especially since Kadri's turned into a damn solid center, while Schenn has played almost exclusively on the wing for the past two seasons.

Kadri's got him beat when it comes to his overall game too:

7unWfZa.jpg

The only thing Schenn's got going for him is that he pulled away from Kadri a fair bit offensively last year. But I suspect Schenn will fall back to earth from the almost 15% shooting percentage he had last year, while on the flip-side there's no chance Kadri repeats his ridiculously low 6.5% shooting percentage (just slightly more than half his career norm) from last year. No longer playing mostly with plugs on the worst team in the NHL should help Kadri's numbers up a bit too.

Yep. Especially since Kadri's turned into a damn solid center, while Schenn has played almost exclusively on the wing for the past two seasons.

Kadri's got him beat when it comes to his overall game too:

7unWfZa.jpg

The only thing Schenn's got going for him is that he pulled away from Kadri a fair bit offensively last year. But I suspect Schenn will fall back to earth from the almost 15% shooting percentage he had last year, while on the flip-side there's no chance Kadri repeats his ridiculously low 6.5% shooting percentage (just slightly more than half his career norm) from last year. No longer playing mostly with plugs on the worst team in the NHL should help Kadri's numbers up a bit too.

I checked out that comparison as well and if you look at the 2015 and 2014 charts Kadri has him beat pretty handily on offense. I didn't have much time but i thought at one point they did a 3 year comparative chart as well?

If you look at the probabilities of where the two will slot offensively next year, they're pretty much identical...which shows how unlucky Naz was last year.

Wow. The Wings have been making a lot of truly head-scratching moves lately, and that's another to add to the list.

It's kind of looking more and more like Jim Nill was the brains of that operation, not Ken Holland.

and Mrazek is asking for 5 & 5 in arby apparently.
That wouldn't be too painful if they didn't already have Howard's immovable $5.3 X 3 on the books, and if they hadn't been making it rain for plugs & supporting players like DeKeyser, Glendenning, Abdelkader & Helm on lengthy deals. Counting Howard and those four guys, that's $20M in cap tied up in each of the next three years (and beyond for everyone except Howard).

Though five years is still a long commitment to any goalie, let alone one with only one year as a starter under his belt.

Detroit reminds me of where we were after the lockout in 2004/05, they have a long rebuild ahead of them
Yeah, it does seem pretty familiar, right down to handing out sizeable money on lengthy deals to entirely replaceable players.

Leafs sign Trevor Moore to a 3 year entry level deal out of the University of Denver.

21 years old has put up 44pts in his last 2 seasons (39gp and 40gp) and leaves before his Sr year.

I know very little about him other than this, anyone have any info on him.

Average skater at best for his size (5'10), not a great shooter. He's a good playmaker that relies on his hands and passing ability to get by.

Back