• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

Yeah Mac can't box with him for 12 rounds. But he is a lot bigger and has a ton of power, and is very unorthodox.

You never know. Floyd is old now too. If he can hit him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touching the guy who literally went untouched his whole career is going to be a task for a guy who have never professionaly boxed.

Now if he does land one Mayweather may go to sleep

I only follow combat sports extremely casually---so, serious question.

Like...McGregor has not shot here, right? This is just a publicity stunt, and a chance for him to cash in?

Because someone who's never boxed professionally before going up against a guy who's 49-0 seems kind of nuts.

He has a punchers chance.

For MMA he has great striking and power but boxing is a different beast. He's a fish out of water

I only follow combat sports extremely casually---so, serious question.

Like...McGregor has not shot here, right? This is just a publicity stunt, and a chance for him to cash in?

Because someone who's never boxed professionally before going up against a guy who's 49-0 seems kind of nuts.

Correct on all counts.

There's a small caveat but only a small one. Macgregor is a big 154 pound fighter, left handed, and has what appears to be the death touch with MMA gloves on. I was talking with a friend earlier about it though and imo, Macgregor's power is largely based on two factors that I think won't mean a damn against Floyd. First, he's one of the few MMA fighters who really understands/utilizes the role of balance, rotation, and accuracy over pure animal power when striking. So while his punching style is adapted for MMA....can't put all that weight on your front leg in MMA or you'll get leg kicked to death, (see Macgregor/Diaz II), you need a broader base to defend takedowns, far less use of the jab, from a technique standpoint he uses a lot of proper boxing (his timing is almost exactly what you would teach a counter puncher, he uses his upper body to create false impression of closeness to draw opponents into his pocket. (the Alvarez fight was a beautiful example of that). Which shouldn't surprise anyone. Macgregor was an amatuer boxer before he got into MMA, and Ireland has a fantastic boxing tradition. It's definitely bled through into what has made him successful in MMA.

so why doesn't that matter against Floyd? Because Floyd has seen everything that he can possibly bring, 1000 times, against world class opposition. What makes Macgregor special in MMA is that his boxing skills aren't shambolic by professional standards...but they're not professional level.

The second bit is this....I'm not sure how hard Macgregor will hit with 10 oz gloves on. People seem to take it for granted that he's a massive puncher, but I'm starting to develop the opinion that someone with average power while wearing 10 oz gloves would be a destroyer of worlds with those little 4 oz gloves on. It's just way easier to be accurate wearing the MMA gloves, and when your hand arrives it's bringing thunder. Way harder to parry or shoulder roll your way out of a 4 oz glove coming in on target.

Floyd has faced lefties with great hand speed and above average power, he's not going to get sucked into Conor's pocket by creating false impression of space with his upper body, and he's not going to get caught moving in towards Conor, or circling the wrong way against a lefty (which I've seen Macgregor opponents do).

It'll be amazing to see the Vegas odds. How much dumb Irish/MMA money can the bookies extract?

Conor's best chance is probably to piss him off in all the lead up and get him to fight emotionally. Floyd's seen everything in the ring, but not sure he's seen someone as annoying and arrogant as he is. Aldo him. Get him away from his game, and try to turn it into a slug fest.

At the end of the day Floyd is just the best ever so its way easier said than done.

It will probably be a shitty fight. Both guys are taking their $100 mill and riding into the sunset.

And laugh all the way to the bank the whole time. He said it 2013 Get in, get rich and get out. Thats exactly what he is doing

And laugh all the way to the bank the whole time. He said it 2013 Get in, get rich and get out. Thats exactly what he is doing

Yeah, the guy is unbelievable really. He worked himself into one of the biggest fights of all time. He's not even a boxer. He only started in the UFC 4 years ago. Somehow he is boxing against Mayweather in a fight that will likely break all records.

Thats really the only reason I can't completely write him off in this fight. Logic says he'll get smoked, but he is a special person. You can never really count him out.

That should get him up to the level of a journeyman amateur by the time of the fight.

In fairness the dude has trained in boxing his whole life. He was a junior boxing champ, and spars with championship level fighters. He is a pro fighter with one of the better stand up games in MMA.

Obviously you can't compare it to Mayweathers experience, but its not like he never boxed until 6 months ago like these guys who try to go from boxing/wresting to mma.

I'm sure he can step into pro boxing no problem. Guys like the Diaz bros too, who spar with Andre Ward. Again, stepping in with Mayweather is whole other level though.

He is a pro fighter and he does know how to box.

Maybe Mayweather can tie him up all night like he did with Pacquiao and win but I really doubt he's going to destroy Conor.

Back