• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

Not sure if anyone watched Mcgregor - Diaz 2 but that was a hell of a fight.

Yeah it was. Diaz lost because he took his foot off the gas in the 4th round. Connor looked ready to fold in the 3rd, a big push early in the 4th probably stops him. With Nate's BJJ skill, he really needs to find a way to get Connor to the ground. Connor adapted to Nate's heavy front leg boxing style with the use of the leg kicks early in the fight to take away with crispness of that lead jab, now it's Nate's turn to exploit Connor's weakness on the ground.

With that said, and not that I expected any different (a Nate win makes a lot less money than a Nate loss on the cards here...no point of a trilogy fight if Nate wins on the cards) but Nate won that fight 48-47 imo.

If Jones is reinstated, its jones vs cormier.

Rumble can have the winner.

Jones Vs Rumble it is

Drunk and high Jones vs Cormier wasn't really close the first time around. Allegedly sober and focused Jones will eat DC.

Yeah it was. Diaz lost because he took his foot off the gas in the 4th round. Connor looked ready to fold in the 3rd, a big push early in the 4th probably stops him. With Nate's BJJ skill, he really needs to find a way to get Connor to the ground. Connor adapted to Nate's heavy front leg boxing style with the use of the leg kicks early in the fight to take away with crispness of that lead jab, now it's Nate's turn to exploit Connor's weakness on the ground.

With that said, and not that I expected any different (a Nate win makes a lot less money than a Nate loss on the cards here...no point of a trilogy fight if Nate wins on the cards) but Nate won that fight 48-47 imo.

I had Connor winning 3 rounds to 2... with the 5th round being almost to close to call. It could have been 2-2 with an even 5th.... but Connor knocked him down like 3 times so I give him the overall edge. I really wouldn't have been able to argue if they gave it to Diaz though.

Diaz is the toughest badass to walk the planet.

My scores for the rounds:

Round 1 10-8 McGregor. He had the perfect 1st round. Leg kicks, steady work of the jab. He was beating Diaz handily here.

Round 2 10-9 McGregor. McGregor dominated the majority of the round similar to the 1st. Near the 3.5 minute mark is where we saw Diaz finally do something.

Round 3 10-8 Diaz. Diaz dominated this round. I thought it was night night for Conor. He looked completely gassed. Despite having a cut above his eye and already taking a few licks Diaz just kept moving forward. This is the round where you really appreciate the resiliency of Diaz.

Round 4 10-9 McGregor. After taking a few deep breathes early in the round and looking gassed Conor again went to the leg kick to gain separation. He nailed him with that left cross and opened up another cut under Diaz' eye. Once they got in the clinch both were getting hit at the cage. I felt as though Conor had the better of the exchanges.

Round 5 10-9 Diaz. McGregor worked the leg kick again but looked a little short of breathe. Diaz controlled the majority of the round and was really in control of the pace. Conor stopped a takedown attempt early on but Diaz solidified the round when he tripped Conor to end it.

All in all this was a f*cking war and i loved every second of it. Mindz you are right about the fix could be in in terms of the money making machine that is Conor. I thought he won on his own merit but may have received some help that a 3rd fight might bring in even more money for the recently bought UFC.

Diaz is a warrior. One of my favorites to watch. His problem has always been between the ears. I'd say he probably is the superior martial artist to Conor but his gameplan wasn't up to his this time. A 3rd fight will be pretty great if we get it. I wonder if they do it at 155 though. I get both sides to the argument. Conor shouldn't be fighting at 170. And Diaz shouldn't be fighting at 155. Diaz walking around at 180+ prior to the fight while Conor fighting in his walking weight is a pretty significant advantage for Diaz.

I actually think it makes sense for Jones to fight Rumble pretty soon. Cormier just had a 3 round fight against Silva a month ago and likely needs a rehab/camp to get into another fight. Jones should be near ready and Rumble just walked out of his fight with Glover without a scratch.

Rumble - Bones at Madison Square Garden for UFC 205 would be pretty huge. I'm more interested in this one than a Bones-DC rematch.

I had Connor winning 3 rounds to 2... with the 5th round being almost to close to call. It could have been 2-2 with an even 5th.... but Connor knocked him down like 3 times so I give him the overall edge. I really wouldn't have been able to argue if they gave it to Diaz though.

I don't really care about flash knockdowns when the guy throwing the punch isn't willing to mount and take advantage....this isn't boxing

Connor was deathly afraid of being on the ground with nate, to the point that he passed on taking a half mount when given.

I don't really care about flash knockdowns when the guy throwing the punch isn't willing to mount and take advantage....this isn't boxing

Connor was deathly afraid of being on the ground with nate, to the point that he passed on taking a half mount when given.

And he's smart for it. Diaz is a superior fighter on the ground. McGregor needed to use his strengths (quickness, athleticism) to beat Diaz, not get caught up in the ground game. I may be biased a bit here as i love the theatrics of McGregor but he deserved the win. Even if it was by a smidge.

Diaz has a lot going for him. Big pay days and some of the hype may get him a 155 title fight. People want to see Diaz now more than ever before. He didn't get put away by McGregor so he's got a bit of boosting rights there.

Why go to the ground if you know it puts you at a disadvantage?

I'd think they mean more than dick. Pretty sure he won the fight at least partly thanks to those knockdowns.

I'd think they mean more than dick. Pretty sure he won the fight at least partly thanks to those knockdowns.

This.

That 1st round was secured 10-8 because of those knockdowns. That round may have been the difference for the other judges to score the victory for Conor.

I'd say Nate being an epic bleeder had more to do with it than a few flash knockdowns that no real advantage was gained from.

That 1st round was secured 10-8 because of those knockdowns.

None of the 3 judges scored the 1st round 10-8....again boys, this isn't boxing, the knockdowns mean a lot when you follow it up with continued ring control, grappling control, etc....when you stand back because the last place you want to be in the world is on the ground with Diaz, the judges know what's going on and measure it appropriately.

The only 10-8 round on any of the 3 scorecards was the 3rd round on the 'white' judges card, which went to Nate. When Nate carried the round in every aspect.

The knockdowns for sure factored into Conor winning the first two rounds. Getting big clean shots means something. And those were set up with the leg kicks which messed with Diaz's balance. He won those rounds.

The fact that he didn't try to finish it was just smart fighting. Nate wasn't in any real danger. You don't lose points for not aggressively going after the finish.

IMO it wasn't a very controversial decision.

Last edited:
Conor clearly won round 1. Thats not up for much debate

Diaz clearly won round 3. Only debate here is 10-9 or 10-8.

Most people gave round 4 to conor.

Most people gave round 5 to diaz.

So the question is round 2.

4 minutes of conor dominating... including the knockdowns.. vs 1 minute of a nate comeback.

Im giving round 2 (and thus the fight) to conor based on the fact he was the dominant fighter for 80% of the round despite diazs flurry at the end.

Back