• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Thread of Game of Thrones (spoilers inside)

I was good until ep4, but ep5 and ep6 have been really frustrating ... it's almost like the tv script writers had a fixed ending in their mind and they're twisting many major characters' personalities and tendencies to steer the series towards that ending. That's why smart ppl got stupid all of a sudden, and ppl make decisions that are so out of their personalities that they have developed over the past 6 seasons.

nah

that has been the case throughout the series

Chaos is a ladder.

But I still don't get why they shortened seasons and rushed this thing to its end. It's flying as high as ever. They could've easily squeezed another three or four full seasons in. Did they just tire of making boatloads of money?

a few reasons
- the actors are doing other stuff - and they do not actually make that much money doing the show
- the show is expensive - big cast, big sets, bet effects
- they will do a bunch of spin offs

everybody should keep in mind that martin had no idea what to do with the books... aka what the show is trying to do

the worst season of the show was the one based on the last book - so do not assume the books = better

as for the episode - even if the reason for the venture beyond the wall could have been explained better (hell even if Jon heard that his uncle is out there and wants to find him) and happen to catch a wight alive as a bonus - the episode had drama to spare - that is the beauty of the show - main people die so it was completely within reason that jon, hound, etc would die

a few reasons
- the actors are doing other stuff - and they do not actually make that much money doing the show
- the show is expensive - big cast, big sets, bet effects
- they will do a bunch of spin offs

The main actors get millions. And none of them have burgeoning careers outside the show.

And whatever the show costs, it makes back and thensome. Very thensome.

maybe
but likely this is why martin has not finished the books
and also why he wanted to jump 5 years ahead

Yeah, I mean you won't see me complaining about how they are handling the story. This season the Starks were reunited, Daneris landed in westeros, unleashed the dragons on the lanisters, took Casterly Rock, met up with Jon, went north of the wall, saw the army of the dead, had a dragon die and turn. We found out who killed Jeoffery, Arya killed the Freys. Crazy shit is still happening and this season has been awesome.

The level of detail in the writing isn't quite the same though.

Last edited:
The main actors get millions. And none of them have burgeoning careers outside the show.

They plotted out the end of the story and thats how they determined the number of episodes left.

Shows dragging on too long is probably the #1 thing that kills great TV.

nah

that has been the case throughout the series

I agree with this. Stupid decisions have really formed the basis of GoT from day one.

Ned taking on Cersei in open revolt while trusting a guy he knew to be a weasel. And then agreeing to kneel.

Oberon defeating the Mountain and then carelessly toying with him before the fight was over.

Stannis burning his own daughter as a sacrifice and then stupidly losing the battle.

Jon Snow doing everything he's done so far.

They plotted out the end of the story and thats how they determined the number of episodes left.

Shows dragging on too long is probably the #1 thing that kills great TV.

The interest is still white hot. They didn't have to shorten the season. They could've filled it in with character development so that we wouldn't be annoyed by all the shortcutting. They easily, easily had three full seasons of top rated tv to go.

The interest is still white hot. They didn't have to shorten the season. They could've filled it in with character development so that we wouldn't be annoyed by all the shortcutting. They easily, easily had three full seasons of top rated tv to go.

Yeah, they could have easily done it. Just saying extending series because they are popular doesn't typically produce the best product. Thats where you end up like Lost needing to answer a bunch of questions that didn't need to be asked in the first place.

Can't complain about them planning out the end of the show. If they had three 10 episode seasons left in the story there would be three 10 episode seasons. There is no pressure to end it early.

as for the episode - even if the reason for the venture beyond the wall could have been explained better (hell even if Jon heard that his uncle is out there and wants to find him) and happen to catch a wight alive as a bonus - the episode had drama to spare - that is the beauty of the show - main people die so it was completely within reason that jon, hound, etc would die

Yeah, I'm usually the one who takes issue with illogical or silly story points.

Like Benjen not hopping the back of the horse because supposedly there was no time. If you want that result, the scene should be Benjen trying to get on the horse but being caught and dragged off by the wights. Such a simple fix which would add a more emotional tragic end(?) for him.

But despite shit like that, and the senselessness of the mission itself (which they themselves acknowledged a few times), the dialogue and the battles made up for it. I'm still enjoying it despite its flaws.

Yeah, they could have easily done it. Just saying extending series because they are popular doesn't typically produce the best product. Thats where you end up like Lost needing to answer a bunch of questions that didn't need to be asked in the first place.

Can't complain about them planning out the end of the show. If they had three 10 episode seasons left in the story there would be three 10 episode seasons. There is no pressure to end it early.

I agree with your first paragraph, but it doesn't apply here.

No one is advocating stretching it for the sake of milking it. There's legitimately a lot of extra story to tell that they're just fast forwarding through.

By the way, the Night King doesn't seem to have any interest in Jon when it mattered. He was prepared to just have him sink to his death, when he could've pulled him out and given him the WW treatment. My assumption was that NK knows more about our guys than they know about him, and has keen interest in the supposed hero of the story. But turns out he's just another flesh bag like all the others, at least as far as he knows.

Some get millions (now). Does it make the money back? Probably no way to tell as it is not a movie where it is pretty easy to tell.

Pretty much all of them have careers outside of GoT. Scheduling conflicts on a cast this big must be massive.

Yeah, I mean you won't see me complaining about how they are handling the story. This season the Starks were reunited, Daneris landed in westeros, unleashed the dragons on the lanisters, took Casterly Rock, met up with Jon, went north of the wall, saw the army of the dead, had a dragon die and turn. We found out who killed Jeoffery, Arya killed the Freys. Crazy shit is still happening and this season has been awesome.

The level of detail in the writing isn't quite the same though.

Ya - the build up from the previous seasons has led to this. Now is the pay off. Sure they jump around and play with timelines, etc. I do trust they actually wrap this up to a decent conclusion.

The level of detail might not be the same because the pace is quick but there has been plenty of cool details.

If you think of the series as a season we are basically entering the "big event" part. ie: Ned death, blackwater bay, red wedding, battle of bastards.... now we are at that end in the series. The two wars.

I am sure they could have but it would not make it more profitable. Probably less so. More illegally downloaded show. Does HBO take in more money if they have it 10 episodes instead of 7?
There are no ads. Just subscriptions.

Do they draw it out too long and lose steam?

I am not a giant fan of the sped up travel times but it actually beats the alternative. The bonus is if we want the slowed down version Martin is working on it and it will hopefully be out before he dies.

I agree with your first paragraph, but it doesn't apply here.

No one is advocating stretching it for the sake of milking it. There's legitimately a lot of extra story to tell that they're just fast forwarding through.

such as?

Back