• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Home Opener Is 10/28 ... Full Sched. Released

perfectstormhits

Just tweeted by Canes.

Against Rangers. Hope we're still in the race by then.

First game is October 13 against Winnipeg.

Full Schedule released tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Canes Home Opener Is Oct. 28

Screwed by the league and/or NBC again.

The State Fair opens on October 13. There are 4 teams that open at home on the 12th: Chicago, Edmonton, Ottawa and San Jose. There is no reason why we couldn't have played home that night too. If they do like last year, NBCSN will have a doubleheader on opening night, with Blackhawks/Blues early then Sharks/Kings late.

Money talks and the Canes are small market so they get no favors from NHL. 28th is a Friday

In 1999 state fair started on a Friday. Now it starts on Thurs so that hurts the Canes as well.

One anomaly...we have 10 Friday night home games; 9 of them start at 7:30 instead of 7. More than half of the home schedule is either Friday, Saturday or Sunday, 26 games in total. We have 6 home games in February, 5 of them are weekend games.

I should mention ... I edited the original post to change the title to reflect that the link to the full schedule had been added.

An odd home-and-home against the COYOTES... granted a day in between games thank goodness, but...

I didn't even notice the 7:30pm start times -- count me in favor of the "Friday 7:30pm"-heavy home schedule.

Canes web guy breaks down all the numbers
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886578

Here's one oddity I didn't notice, "bye week" is a thing now:
New this year is a five-day “bye week” for each team, which is a consecutive five-day set of off days (including no practice) that falls at some point between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28. The Hurricanes’ bye week begins Sunday, Feb. 12 and continues through Thursday, Feb. 16.

Last edited:
the olympic years have a 2 week bye.

they might confuse people have them showing up at 7:30 for the 7 pm games.

Last edited:

Screwed by the league and/or NBC again.

The State Fair opens on October 13. There are 4 teams that open at home on the 12th: Chicago, Edmonton, Ottawa and San Jose. There is no reason why we couldn't have played home that night too. If they do like last year, NBCSN will have a doubleheader on opening night, with Blackhawks/Blues early then Sharks/Kings late.

I wouldn't say screwed necessarily. We all know the league's opening night priority's are not going to be a team that hasn't made the playoffs in forever and is at the bottom of the attendance ladder...it would be hard to argue they should be a priority. They actually gave the Canes a decent amount of weekend games which could help boost home attendance. All in all not bad.....the State Fair is just bad timing this year due to the World Cup pushing opening day back. At least the team will get to bond on the road to open things up....it may be a silver lining for a young team.

Yeah. With a bit of a late start thanks to the World Cup, this was always going to be likely. The only option for the schedule monkey was NHL opening night when they usually do a reduced schedule, and that day's not perfect either since it's State Fair preview night. Not the full traffic hellhole that a full Fair day would be, but State played a Thursday football game on that night back when the Fair's schedule was different and it was miserable times a million.

It's fine.

Maybe a six game roadtrip to start the season will help minimize any nerves this young team might have, but, man - it's hard to wait that long to see your home team for the first time. It's like missing the first day of spring baseball when all seems fresh and hopes are high. Let's hope they have their act together and actually win a home opener for a change!

I dunno. The one time we did the super extended road trip the fall the new building opened, I rather enjoyed catching all the games on TV before seeing them play in person. I felt like I had a pretty good handle on who they were as a team by then ... plus they actually played very well on that long trip.

In the last 7-8 years, it wasn't the so called "State Fair Road Trip" that killed the season early. Canes would play relatively well on those, at times compiling .500 record or better. It was the return home and subsequent several weeks of home game heavy schedule where they'd inexplicably fall apart and doom the whole season.

Particularly last season, they were 2-5-3 for the first 10 home games.

Brutal as a STH to endure, because even the OT/SO losses are losses. Point's great and all that, but not fun to be amongst celebrating visiting team fans and also now in a parking lot jam-up since everyone stayed until the sudden backbreaking ending.

And at that point, you're in such a big hole for the season that the mediocre 4-5-1 record during the first 10 road games counts for very little.

I hate that the Canes wait so long to make individual game tickets available. I understand that they want squeeze as many season ticket commitments out of the process as they possibly can, but many teams are already selling individual game tickets. I don't like waiting until late September.

One thing to watch for if you are going to buy tix for the home opener vs. the Rangers on Friday Oct 28th via the box office....they are considering that a Bronze game for STM ONLY!!!! Silver prices for General Public. Its the Rangers on a Friday night and the home opener, so I'm sure the Canes are thinking that adding that all up together will mean people will simply accept the higher cost. But this is the first time I believe that they did not keep the opener a bronze game. The opener was the only sellout last year, and all partial plans include the opener and supposedly more of those were sold. But it will be interesting to see if they can move the 10k+ box office seats for that game at the higher Silver prices.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised at how small the price difference between Bronze and Silver is. For most seats, it's $10 or less. The jump from Silver to Gold is huge though.

Back