• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Eller Out, Shaw In - Shaw signed to six-year, $23.4M deal ($3.9M AAV)

Re: Eller Out, Shaw In

Shaw will score 20 for us if he's on the second line. He is talented in front of the net.

He's bigger than Gallagher and Gallagher makes their lives difficult...

Yes but Gally makes less than 3.5 mil....and he's a true top 6

Shaw will be making more money, but is not a true top 6

I am happy with Shaw over Eller...but we gotta stop giving 3rd liners too much cap space

What does any of that have to do with making Goalies lives difficult?

You're changing the topic.

I don't understand the angry reaction. Shaw is better than Eller, and the annual change in the cap hit will be less than one million. It's not like he's getting 8 million. Term is an issue, largely because I fear we'll eventully be stuck with broken down body (like Prust).

That said, this doesn't fundamentally address the 2nd line.

I am most upset at trading both our seconds this year. Couldn't he have offered one this year and one next year?

This team showed last year that it sorely lacked leadership once Carey Price & Gallagher went down to injury. Bringing in a player like Shaw addresses that issue in spades and provides the same on ice/off ice leadership that Brandon Prust did when he was here. The advantage over Prust that the Habs get here is that they aren't getting this type of player past his prime and they are getting this type of player who does possess acceptable offensive skills. He will be the player that we wanted Dale Weiss to be because I doubt Shaw will forget, like Weiss did, what got him here. The dollars are negligible and the term is a non-issue; there is always a taker for players in the final years of their contract - complaining about this is nit-picking. Is 2 2nd-rounders too much to give up? Maybe, but the criticism seems directed more at the loss of excitement over today's drafting than at the talent level of the players we may have actually drafted with one of those picks.

And really, need to balance this deal with the Eller one, since I assume we don't make that one with this. So a downgrade in picks in the second round to go from Eller to Shaw seems like a good deal to me overall.

Now, this better not be our only move to improve our forwards - we definitely still need another top-6 guy. But overall I think it will be a good move.

Apparently Shaw's rumored $4.5M ask from Hawks was inaccurate, he wanted $3.2M but was looking for term....

Apparently Shaw's rumored $4.5M ask from Hawks was inaccurate, he wanted $3.2M but was looking for term....

Where do you see that, Blackhawks nation said 4.5 last night. For 3.2 CHI would have signed him, because they would have offered 3m if he only wants 3.2 and had him signed.

Where do you see that, Blackhawks nation said 4.5 last night. For 3.2 CHI would have signed him, because they would have offered 3m if he only wants 3.2 and had him signed.
Tweeted by one of the Chicago beat writers - a deal was apparently in place w Hawks. Stanley was expecting $74M-$75M cap, couldn't do it w a $73M cap. Dregger just tweeted the same.
Of course Mtl isn't Chi, therefore, Shaw will get a premium to re-up. I expect a shade below $4M on a 5-6 year deal.

Last edited:

You'd think you should be able to sign him for basically the same deal we gave to Gallagher, or close to that.

Back