• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Select Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall; Scouting Report

By that logic you'd always trade your draft picks (besides top 3 overall) for 2nd or 3rd liners... that way you'd never chance picking a bust.

I would definitely consider trading my first round picks (outside of top 3) for top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen every single year. Not 3rd liners though.

By that logic you'd always trade your draft picks (besides top 3 overall) for 2nd or 3rd liners... that way you'd never chance picking a bust.

Yeah, I think I said that too. Timmins had Sergs ranked 5th overall. Why would we trade that for two okay players? Anyone?

I would definitely consider trading my first round picks (outside of top 3) for top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen every single year. Not 3rd liners though.

But you can sign guys like Silfverberg and Fowler via free agency most years.

We just "overpaid" for Shaw by giving up two 2nds... and he's a better player than Silfverberg. Similar offensive output but plays a far more physical game.

Fowler is a 2nd pairing dman but not really a great one by any means. Unless he takes a good step forward in his upcoming 7th NHL season he's unlikely to ever be a top pairing dman. Guys like that are available for a lot cheaper than a top 10 pick.

You seem to dislike Russians.

Who said that? Everyone talk about the only concern in his case is he is Russian, that is why he went a bit late. I am just asking(and not assuming anything), can only one great season in OHL be enough to come in conclusion in his case?

But you can sign guys like Silfverberg and Fowler via free agency most years.

We just "overpaid" for Shaw by giving up two 2nds... and he's a better player than Silfverberg. Similar offensive output but plays a far more physical game.

Fowler is a 2nd pairing dman but not really a great one by any means. Unless he takes a good step forward in his upcoming 7th NHL season he's unlikely to ever be a top pairing dman. Guys like that are available for a lot cheaper than a top 10 pick.

Then how come we are never able to sign those players in free agency?

Both players are young (24 and 25), and Fowler is the main target. I don't know in what world of yours is he not a top 4 defensemen. 30+ pts defensemen, playing over 22 mins a game, way better than Jeff Petry in my books. Also play left side which would make him defacto pairing partner for Subban.

Yeah, I think I said that too. Timmins had Sergs ranked 5th overall. Why would we trade that for two okay players? Anyone?

Yeah I saw that after I posted. #samesies

I'd much rather draft Sergachev then sign Jason Demers and Teddy Purcell who are as good or better than Fowler and Silfverberg.

Of course I hope to sign even better players than that... but I'm sure we could get those guys in lieu of getting top players.

Then how come we are never able to sign those players in free agency?

Both players are young (24 and 25), and Fowler is the main target. I don't know in what world of yours is he not a top 4 defensemen. 30+ pts defensemen, playing over 22 mins a game, way better than Jeff Petry in my books. Also play left side which would make him defacto pairing partner for Subban.

When did I say Fowler wasn't a top 4 dman? He's better offensively than Petry but defensively he's not at all.

When did I say Fowler wasn't a top 4 dman? He's better offensively than Petry but defensively he's not at all.

Here :

Man... both of those guys barely qualify for your descriptions

And I disagree about Fowler and Petry, I think Fowler is about just as good defensively and much better offensively. Also younger and cheaper.

Of course this means nothing in any given year though.

Of course. I do think we're overrating the value of our 9th overall pick though, which is normal since it's the time to be all excited about our new prospects.

It also improves our team right now, instead of in 3-4 years, which is valuable while Price and Max are still under cap friendly contracts.

Here :

And I disagree about Fowler and Petry, I think Fowler is about just as good defensively and much better offensively. Also younger and cheaper.

I may have overstated that re Fowler... but even then I didn't deny that he's a 2nd pairing dman. I just think with his lack of defensive prowess he's not like a bona fide 2nd pairing guy who's verging on being a top pairing guy. I really don't think he's close to Petry defensively at all.

Of course. I do think we're overrating the value of our 9th overall pick though, which is normal since it's the time to be all excited about our new prospects.

It also improves our team right now, instead of in 3-4 years, which is valuable while Price and Max are still under cap friendly contracts.

It's not the #9 pick that I value per se. It's that I think Sergachev has a very good chance of being as good as Fowler with a reasonable chance of being a fair bit better... and an outside shot of being an elite player.

Like I've been saying, I think you can sign 2nd pairing/liners via free agency instead of trading away potential studs for them.

I think the root of our disagreement is in our perceived value of Fowler, I see him as a top2/top4 defenseman (and would be 1st pairing with us and 2nd best defenseman) while you see him as a top 4 borderline top 6. I also like his cap hit of 4M for the next 2 years.

I think the root of our disagreement is in our perceived value of Fowler, I see him as a top2/top4 defenseman (and would be 1st pairing with us and 2nd best defenseman) while you see him as a top 4 borderline top 6. I also like his cap hit of 4M for the next 2 years.

Yeah probably. Cause I don't think either of us think Sifverberg is anything we can't get cheap elsewhere.

As per GW's theory, we will never have great players unless we draft top 3. Not buying it.

I never said that. But with our first rounder success rate, I think we might actually do better trading our first round pick every year for established top 6/top 4 players.

Back