• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

Those examples are so rare though...

Another good example would be why we haven't have a French owner in forever ? Even when the Habs were soooooo cheap to buy.....Gillett bought the team and arena for under 300M....no french company came out to buy them. Caisse Depot even financed a good chunk of the sale.....where was Quebecor, Bombadier, etc.....WTF....they had no balls to make such a move. It's the ''safe'' french business mentality....
Where was the rest of the Canadian companies at that time? Why single out the French ones? The Anglos had no balls either, it took an American to buy us. You have to remember what the exchange rate was back then. Also it seems that Quebecor have enough balls to build an arena in Quebec and make a pitch for the Nordiques.

I don't buy it.

Where was the rest of the Canadian companies at that time? Why single out the French ones? The Anglos had no balls either, it took an American to buy us. You have to remember what the exchange rate was back then. Also it seems that Quebecor have enough balls to build an arena in Quebec and make a pitch for the Nordiques.

I don't buy it.

It makes no sense that the sports teams in this city have (almost) always been owned by english business men.....Expos, Habs, Impact....

There is French money in this town....but no balls....and French media never calls them out....there's a reason Geoff is prudent in everything he does and says...like when he says that the Habs should always have a French coach....really ? How come England, where fans are 10x crazier than here, don't mind having an Italian coach ?

It makes no sense that the sports teams in this city have (almost) always been owned by english business men.....Expos, Habs, Impact....

There is French money in this town....but no balls....and French media never calls them out....there's a reason Geoff is prudent in everything he does and says...like when he says that the Habs should always have a French coach....really ? How come England, where fans are 10x crazier than here, don't mind having an Italian coach ?
It most certainly makes sense. French money is new money, all of it being made in the last 40-50 years, no old money like the Molson or Bronfman families, it makes a difference. I don't think it's a matter of balls.

Molson have no balls himself, or else he would tell the media to **** off and that he will hire the best staff, regardless of the language.

Oh the English minded, don't kid yourself. English FA will sell its soul to try and win because it usually is totally unsuccessful at the world stage, but the fans didn't like it when they lost. They hated the Swede they had too.

Obviously he should do it in a polite way, but I swear that it's mostly only a big deal to the media. But it has to be a big name coach or else it won't fly.

Obviously he should do it in a polite way, but I swear that it's mostly only a big deal to the media. But it has to be a big name coach or else it won't fly.
IMO it's only an issue for the "old stock" (Reggie Tremblay, Bert Raymond & the RDS / TVA crew etc.) not the younger generation - Brunet, Godin etc.. since they're flawlessly fluent in English.

A lot of which had to do with majority of the old stock being from outside Mtl, whereas the younger generation is Mtl born & bred.

Last edited:
IMO it's only an issue for the "old stock" (Reggie Tremblay, Bert Raymond & the RDS / TVA crew etc.) not the younger generation - Brunet, Godin etc.. since they're flawlessly fluent in English.

A lot of which had to do with majority of the old stock being from outside Mtl, whereas the younger generation is Mtl born & bred.
Yep, I agree, although I did ask Brunet about it many years ago and he told me that there is enough good French coaches out there that it shouldn't be much of an issue. Which goes back to what I'm saying about it would need to be a big name coach for it to happen.

It most certainly makes sense. French money is new money, all of it being made in the last 40-50 years

Yup, and lot of them don't give a crap unless it's a real business that makes money.

Now, Peladeau and Demarais have sniffed around Quebec City and Ottawa. But they were just parts of larger media and real estate plays.

Oh the English minded, don't kid yourself. English FA will sell its soul to try and win because it usually is totally unsuccessful at the world stage, but the fans didn't like it when they lost. They hated the Swede they had too.

They only remember they are foreigners when the team loses. When it wins they're happy no matter who is coaching them. It's the same in Montreal. When the Habs lose, the fact that the coach is a "ti-gars chez nous" doesn't save his ass from getting fired and the fans don't cut him any more slack because of his heritage. They are perfectly willing and capable of hating any coach who doesn't win enough and my contention has always been that if a coach can get the team to win nobody will care what his mother tongue happens to be. Winning is the only thing that matters to real fans. This franchise was doomed the minute they decided to place more importance on language rather than winning. If winning isn't your first priority you aren't going to win.

As far as I'm concerned Julien is more English than French and considered a top five coach in this league by many.

He's in the same discussion as Babcock, Queneville,

Julien's French is actually better than MT's and MB's put together. At one point during the season post-mortem, Bergevin actually asked Julien for the French term of a pretty simple word.

As far as I'm concerned Julien is more English than French and considered a top five coach in this league by many.

He's in the same discussion as Babcock, Queneville,

And that's why I think he's extremely overrated. He's not that great. I put him more in the Trotz group of coaches.

Honestly what I witnessed this year was the worst playoff coaching I've seen since Therrien against Carolina in 2002 and Mario Tremblay before that. Maybe I'll give him the excuse that he didn't know his team yet but it was pretty bad.

Julien's French is actually better than MT's and MB's put together. At one point during the season post-mortem, Bergevin actually asked Julien for the French term of a pretty simple word.

Bergevin is like Jean Chretien, he expressed himself poorly in both languages but got credit for being bilingual.

Actually Stephen Harpers french was better than Jean Chretiens

I think geoff Molsons french is better than Bergevins

Claude Juliens french is better than Therriens

Bergevin is like Jean Chretien, he expressed himself poorly in both languages but got credit for being bilingual.

Actually Stephen Harpers french was better than Jean Chretiens

I think geoff Molsons french is better than Bergevins

Claude Juliens french is better than Therriens

Don't be ridiculous now... :nono

Anyways, go Predators!!!

Back