• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

I want mine to be happy but if it came at my sadness, not sure I would be in favour of it. Fortunately, mine has no sports loyalty whatsoever other than my son's teams. She will go with us on occasion, she has been to Canadiens' games, and a Giants game but win or lose makes no real difference to her.

That's on the coach not the player. Subban can and has tried to fit the system to an extent... but you can't just make a player change all their instincts. The coach needs to fit his system to his players and not just neuter all the creativity out of them.

I have issues with this. When does a coach and player's responsibility extend to? From your comment, it seems players are without fault. I'd love to hear where you get that Subban tried to fit into the system. As far as I am concerned, he never did. He would just do what he does.

I do agree that it's hard to change the nature of a player but it's been done countless time before in the league. Subban could have adapted if he wanted to. There is a way to be a middle ground between what the team ask and what you want to do. I feel subban simply was not interested to do it. I can see Subban's point, he is loved by all, does great things on the ice, so in his mind, he is doing it right.

The team felt differently so they tried to talk to him. Obviously, it didn't work so the team did what they thought was the last option, trade him to another team.

I'm personally am in the camp that the fault belongs to both side. Management could have tried things differently or maybe try harder. Subban on his side should have tried to adjust more and stop to do antic and stupid things on this ice.

Still, I'll miss him a LOT because he was such a great player to watch play.

They always tried to break him like you do with a wild horse. Reminds of Dauterive putting Kovalev on the fourth line to learn the system. If Subban was guilty of anything last year, it was of trying too hard.

It is funny that it wasn't an issue when we won. At the end, Nero and his lackey are trying to shift blame. We didn't lose last year due to Subban not playing the system.

They always tried to break him like you do with a wild horse. Reminds of Dauterive putting Kovalev on the fourth line to learn the system. If Subban was guilty of anything last year, it was of trying too hard.

It is funny that it wasn't an issue when we won. At the end, Nero and his lackey are trying to shift blame. We didn't lose last year due to Subban not playing the system.

As Friedman quoted a GM as saying:

GM said that’s exactly why Subban was the one to go. “It’s harsh, but it’s the reality of the cap, right? Your team falls apart without Price and you know what that means.”
“When is [Price’s] contract up?” Answer: Summer of 2018.

“So, if you keep Subban, how much are you looking at for both of them?”

Just as Chia-pet wanted nothing to do with Subban because of the combined cap hit of McDavid + Subban, I suspect a significant unmentioned motive of this move was cap management in MBs eyes - he saves over $1M, and more importantly, longer has to worry about any NMC or NTC clauses, which would've kicked in july 1st with Subban. Unless Weber's performance falls off the cliff, he may well be traded after a couple of seasons, since Preds are on the hook for all buyout penalties I believe.

1 million in savings is not going to get Price and Galchenyuk signed. That might have played into it but that assumes no cap increase.

Crr-1lYVYAABhVi.jpg

Intangibles, all the things analytics guys do not like.

Of course, all those intangibles never helped Nashville make it past the 2nd round

I have no issues with people busting my balls. I can take it and dish it out but the whole questioning my Hab loyalties or claiming I'm a Pens fan because the wife is a Penguins fan is so old and tired that it's just douchey at this point. It's Counts go to "joke."

I get that but seriously, how many times have I done it? It was low-hanging fruit ripe for the picking.

Relax brother.

Whether you like Therrien or not the fact is that he's the coach right now. He wants the players to adhere to a system and in Subban he had a player (and a player with an A on his jersey, part of the leadership group) who refused to do what he was told and continued to freelance. You can't have that. It makes it impossible for a coaching staff to enforce team discipline if one guy is marching to the tune of his own drummer.

This, as much as anything else, is why I believe that so many GM's also don't have good things to say about Subban. They don't like loose cannons.

Now sure Bergevin could have fired Therrien instead, but you know how this team operates. Whoever replaces Therrien is going to be another Therrien. The Habs are a conservative establishment team. They aren't going to hire a run and gun coach. And francophone coaches generally only come in one style: defence first, chip it out, cycle the puck, trap, and try to win every game 1-0 or 2-1. Fact is, Subban was NEVER going to be allowed to keep doing his own thing no matter who his coach was.

Weber will play the Habs system to the letter and will get the others to follow his lead. That alone will make the team better because all 23 players will be pulling in the same direction.

Excellent post and exactly why he didnt make TC . You got this rock star coming into the room taking the media with him . As HFL mentioned on a previous post , that the players hated him as per his chat I think it was on a golf course with an ex ref.

How can you bring this guy into the room to disrupt it plus have to deal with yapping and possible risky plays on the ice in crucial shifts , not worth TC to deal with it.

I am sure we have all had difficult employees to deal with and would prefer they were not around .

I also find it interesting that Price who chooses his words carefully & rarely has anything to say in public/to the media, said as much as he did with the depth of his response...

Fact. Twice Michel Therrien had a goalie win Hart and Vezina. Fact. The following season his team fell off the cliff when the goaltending wasn't there. Fact. The first time, the GM fired him, this time he gets a vote of confidence. What system and structure does this coach bring to the team? I must have missed it from November 26, 2015 to the end of the season? This team will go as far as Price carries them.

The irony is that Wehave is defending the coach when he used to say that the players are being screwed over by him.

I figure his apologetic ways will go out the door the second we lose a game to the Leafs.

Huberdeau just signed a six year extension with the Panthers worth nearly $6 million per. He has comparable stats to Galchenyuk. It should be interesting to see what happens this season with Galchenyuk.

I have issues with this. When does a coach and player's responsibility extend to? From your comment, it seems players are without fault. I'd love to hear where you get that Subban tried to fit into the system. As far as I am concerned, he never did. He would just do what he does.

I do agree that it's hard to change the nature of a player but it's been done countless time before in the league. Subban could have adapted if he wanted to. There is a way to be a middle ground between what the team ask and what you want to do. I feel subban simply was not interested to do it. I can see Subban's point, he is loved by all, does great things on the ice, so in his mind, he is doing it right.

The team felt differently so they tried to talk to him. Obviously, it didn't work so the team did what they thought was the last option, trade him to another team.

I'm personally am in the camp that the fault belongs to both side. Management could have tried things differently or maybe try harder. Subban on his side should have tried to adjust more and stop to do antic and stupid things on this ice.

Still, I'll miss him a LOT because he was such a great player to watch play.

Yep. In fact, Subban actually said repeatedly that he wouldn't change for anyone. Which is a great personal value to possess, but can lead to conflict within a team framework.

but shouldn't a coach vary his system to accommodate players to some extent? Should he expect Subban just to chip out and then trap like say Pateryn or should he be allowed to free lance within some parameters?

Back