Page 228 of 228 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228
Results 4,541 to 4,556 of 4556

Thread: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

  1. #4541
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    yep, wrote the article I would have. Hockey players are dull. PK stands out. He wouldn't in other pro sports.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  2. #4542
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    yep, wrote the article I would have. Hockey players are dull. PK stands out. He wouldn't in other pro sports.
    I don't know if hockey players are born dull or if it is pounded into them from a young age. Football and bball guys do not stop celebrating if the score is high. Right from the time my son was 7, he was told if up by X number of goals, no celebrating. Hell in the stands, as parents we basically police each other when the score gets too high and even feel guilty if we cheer when our kid scores a goal when the score differential is high.

    Anyone who celebrates too much is told not to, and big mouth players are shunned.

    It just carries on.

    There is no way on Earth that all 700 or so NHL players are all so dull and have no personality. It is just drilled into them from Initiation hockey
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  3. #4543
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    I don't know if hockey players are born dull or if it is pounded into them from a young age. Football and bball guys do not stop celebrating if the score is high. Right from the time my son was 7, he was told if up by X number of goals, no celebrating. Hell in the stands, as parents we basically police each other when the score gets too high and even feel guilty if we cheer when our kid scores a goal when the score differential is high.

    Anyone who celebrates too much is told not to, and big mouth players are shunned.

    It just carries on.

    There is no way on Earth that all 700 or so NHL players are all so dull and have no personality. It is just drilled into them from Initiation hockey
    combo. most hockey players/coaches are rural conservative. they control the narrative so they can easily intimidate the count jrs to play the right way.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  4. #4544
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    53,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    I don't know if hockey players are born dull or if it is pounded into them from a young age. Football and bball guys do not stop celebrating if the score is high. Right from the time my son was 7, he was told if up by X number of goals, no celebrating. Hell in the stands, as parents we basically police each other when the score gets too high and even feel guilty if we cheer when our kid scores a goal when the score differential is high.

    Anyone who celebrates too much is told not to, and big mouth players are shunned.

    It just carries on.

    There is no way on Earth that all 700 or so NHL players are all so dull and have no personality. It is just drilled into them from Initiation hockey
    Because NHL is a white man game, MLB used to be that way players & management didn't know what to make of the Latinos who were expressive on the field - Roberto Clemente used to get ripped by players & media; as recently as 30-yrs ago Pasquale Perez used to get mocked by players & coaches for his antics.

    African American players played the white way following the Jackie Robinson / Hank Aaron lead, until they became a substantial population of players in the 70's/early 80's


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  5. #4545
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Because NHL is a white man game, MLB used to be that way players & management didn't know what to make of the Latinos who were expressive on the field - Roberto Clemente used to get ripped by players & media; as recently as 30-yrs ago Pasquale Perez used to get mocked by players & coaches for his antics.

    African American players played the white way following the Jackie Robinson / Hank Aaron lead, until they became a substantial population of players in the 70's/early 80's
    Moreover, Swedes and Finns are even whiter than Canadians. Russians are the Latinos but lack the easygoing-ness. We need more Americans in the game. Most Canadians are camera shy.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  6. #4546
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Because NHL is a white man game, MLB used to be that way players & management didn't know what to make of the Latinos who were expressive on the field - Roberto Clemente used to get ripped by players & media; as recently as 30-yrs ago Pasquale Perez used to get mocked by players & coaches for his antics.

    African American players played the white way following the Jackie Robinson / Hank Aaron lead, until they became a substantial population of players in the 70's/early 80's
    in the craziest inning in baseball history joey bats was ripped by players and media for flipping a bat
    ...

  7. #4547
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    53,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    Moreover, Swedes and Finns are even whiter than Canadians. Russians are the Latinos but lack the easygoing-ness. We need more Americans in the game. Most Canadians are camera shy.
    Find it interesting American born players are willing & enthusiastic to sign w the Habs as UFAs vs their Canadian / Quebec counterparts


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  8. #4548
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Find it interesting American born players are willing & enthusiastic to sign w the Habs as UFAs vs their Canadian / Quebec counterparts
    less afraid of the baggage that comes with stardom
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  9. #4549
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    53,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    less afraid of the baggage that comes with stardom
    Yup definitely is a cultural thing


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  10. #4550
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Yup definitely is a cultural thing
    I sometimes intv regular folks -- in my experience most Americans were naturals on camera. In Canada, I'd be lucky if I could use 1 out of 10 people I spoke to. That doesn't count all the people who ran the other way.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  11. #4551
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    53,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    I sometimes intv regular folks -- in my experience most Americans were naturals on camera. In Canada, I'd be lucky if I could use 1 out of 10 people I spoke to. That doesn't count all the people who ran the other way.
    The American system teaches salesmanship.. all about the hustle


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  12. #4552
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    #trump
    ...

  13. #4553
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    in the craziest inning in baseball history joey bats was ripped by players and media for flipping a bat
    the punch he got for it the next year was a sight to see
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  14. #4554
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Pekka seems to think PK is a good locker room guy.

    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/pe...nne-nashville/

    I was hanging out with James Neal when the trade for P.K. happened. And it’s so funny: Before we even could talk about the hockey aspect of it all … before we even could talk about anything … the first thing James says to me — I’ll never forget it. He goes, “Check his Instagram.” So I go to the app on my phone … load up P.K.’s page … and … wait, what? What’s he doing now? I guess P.K. was … somewhere in Europe at the time? And he’s swimming in the water … with a floatie? Shouting, “Let’s go, let’s go, Predators, baby, Predators! Let’s go!” And I just remember turning to James, not even sure what to think, and just being like, “Oh my god. What is this guy doing?”

    But take another look, of course, and that video — that’s the best of P.K. in a nutshell: handling a tough situation like a pro, and dealing with adversity in a really positive way.

    What surprised me most about P.K., as I got to know him this year, was how laid back he is. I think, just from knowing him only through the media and on social media, and stuff like that … you see him as this big celebrity, almost. This super loud guy. And I think I kind of half expected him to be that same guy in person — showtime all the time. But when you meet him, he’s just a really good dude, easy to talk to, very impressive. And somehow you always leave an interaction with him with a smile on your face. He just does his thing.

    And I think that’s how P.K.’s personality — and his level of play, of course — really left its mark on our team this year in a significant way. No matter what happened, on the ice or off, good or bad, all season long — it felt like we hung in there and we kept it positive. We just did our thing.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  15. #4555
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    combo. most hockey players/coaches are rural conservative. they control the narrative so they can easily intimidate the count jrs to play the right way.
    Exactly. The majority of hockey players come from bum **** towns these days. Living in mega cities like Toronto makes it difficult to get kid from point A to point B, and the cost is insane and ice-time is brutal.

  16. #4556
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    in the craziest inning in baseball history joey bats was ripped by players and media for flipping a bat
    Bat flips happen all the time in baseball.

    As David Ortiz said "If you don't want me to bat flip you, don't throw me a meatball."

    Carlos Delgado still has the gold standard for Blue Jays bat-flips. He threw his bat like a toothpick after his 4th homerun vs. The Rays. Jose's just happened at a crazy time, during an epic game.

Page 228 of 228 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •