• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

From Tanking to Budding, Projecting the 2016-17 Leafs

I draw some parallels to Buffalo. I can see the leafs finishing similar to the way Buffalo finished this past season. Which would be a pretty big improvement I think

I draw some parallels to Buffalo. I can see the leafs finishing similar to the way Buffalo finished this past season. Which would be a pretty big improvement I think
If you are referring to points improvements then 2016-17 Leafs would get 96 points (Buffalo improved 27 points over those two years). That would have had the Leafs in 7th last year or a point out of the playoffs the year before.

If you are referring to points improvements then 2016-17 Leafs would get 96 points (Buffalo improved 27 points over those two years). That would have had the Leafs in 7th last year or a point out of the playoffs the year before.

Yep, most people don't seem to be aware of how competitive a 30th overall team the Leafs were. It would require a 12 point improvement from the Leafs to match the season (not the improvement) that Buffalo just had. When Buffalo finished 30th, they had a goal differential of -113 ...nope, not a ****ing typo. Ours was a -48 last season. We're starting from a much higher water mark, but doing similar to what Buffalo did last year by adding a whole pile of skill (O'Reilly, Eichel, Kane, Reinhart) to a lineup that desperately lacked it.

position wise, not point improvement. I see the way Buffalo added after drafting Eichel and the team they were last year and I see similarities in talent and where the Leafs are to that this upcoming season

There's a real good chance this year ends up being like that first (I think) Quinn year in '98 or so, when Kaberle was a rookie. There's lots of similarities.

If Andersen is the real deal, and Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all take the NHL by storm together, and Zaitsev proves a capable top 4 dman, and our guys all stay healthy and improve (in the case of JVR, Kadri, and Rielly), then there's no reason why we won't be a competitive, albeit inexperienced, team.

Lots of ifs, but none of them in any way outlandish.

This place is going to be much more fun in the next couple of seasons.

Keep pumping up the expectations folks.

You bet it will. After a decade of horrid management, Leafs fans are hugely pumped with our awesome rebuilding.

You bet it will. After a decade of horrid management, Leafs fans are hugely pumped with our awesome rebuilding.

full disclosure, my user name stems from those days (bitter about the management and direction) when it was clear this team needed to blow s*** up and rebuild but didn't. Last season (especially after the trade deadline) and the upcoming seasons tickles me pink, feel like a kid again talking about the team

That pun was intended!

iu

iu

iu

iu

full disclosure, my user name stems from those days (bitter about the management and direction) when it was clear this team needed to blow s*** up and rebuild but didn't. Last season (especially after the trade deadline) and the upcoming seasons tickles me pink, feel like a kid again talking about the team

Good to hear. May I suggest you change your username to HappyBud!

Back