• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Olympics

Holy shit. Mark De Jonge with the massive choke. Comes in as the two-time defending World Champion, projected by almost every media publication to win gold, finishes SEVENTH in the men's 200m kayak final. Disastrous.
Our paddlers and rowers were a disaster in Rio

Canada should honestly be at anywhere from 25-30 medals right now. The open water was just an abomination for the COC these Olympics and the worst part is that Rowing Canada gets a plurality of OTP funding.

Running > all our events combined in the care column.

i get that the 100 is the premiere event of the summer games, but getting gay for degrasse getting gay for bolt was way over the top. he's the most celebrated bronze medalist in canada ever. and it isn't like he did it breaking records; it isn't like bolt needed a 9.57 to beat him...

Canada should honestly be at anywhere from 25-30 medals right now. The open water was just an abomination for the COC these Olympics and the worst part is that Rowing Canada gets a plurality of OTP funding.

meh, the men have choked. even leading into the olympics (see: basketball canada).

The crazy thing is that Canada's only medal in the rowing/kayaking/canoeing events came from the two women who refused to train with Rowing Canada and did it independently (Lindsay Jennerich and Patricia Obee). They basically got an independent coach and trained away from the main facilities. Apparently there is a lot of disorganization within the federation right now.

Inexcusable.

ya, that couldn't have had anything to do with her FOUR (including a gold) olympic medals, including a gold.

that's sort of my point.

The world rightfully cares more about men's sprinting than they do about women's swimming?

Colour me shocked. I mean, I'm happy for Oleksiak and her achievement is massive...but it's not men's sprinting, which are the premiere events at the olympics.

i get that the 100 is the premiere event of the summer games, but getting gay for degrasse getting gay for bolt was way over the top. he's the most celebrated bronze medalist in canada ever. and it isn't like he did it breaking records; it isn't like bolt needed a 9.57 to beat him...

Men's sprinting >>

You're making this way too complicated and putting way too much stock in what the networks are doing to fill air time.

If all he had done is pull the bronze in the 100m, you'd have something of a point. But his overall performance (silver in the 200m, running a great leg for a bronze medalist 4x100 team) elevates him significantly.

Not to mention that Degrasse is the greatest Olympic "prospect" we've had in ages. The hype is fully understandable.

Not to mention that Degrasse is the greatest Olympic "prospect" we've had in ages. The hype is fully understandable.

He's had an awesome olympics as a 21 yr old in the premiere events at the games, and he's a legit contender for double gold in 2020....in the 2 premiere events of the olympics. It's okay to be excited about the guy and whatever hype he's generated at this point is pretty legit.

He's had an awesome olympics as a 21 yr old in the premiere events at the games, and he's a legit contender for double gold in 2020....in the 2 premiere events of the olympics. It's okay to be excited about the guy and whatever hype he's generated at this point is pretty legit.

Yeah, I'm loving it. There's no real debate here

The twitter battles over that race are epic. One guy called it white mediocrity. One woman said all three winners are women with lives.

Last edited:
Back