Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2016-17 Premier League Thread

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2016-17 Premier League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Poor Wigan fans ... free fallin' like Tom Petty
    They were relegated in 2013, made the Championship playoffs in 2014, losing the semifinal to QPR, relegated in 2015 (going from 5th to 23rd), promoted in 2016, relegated in 2017.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    They were relegated in 2013, made the Championship playoffs in 2014, losing the semifinal to QPR, relegated in 2015 (going from 5th to 23rd), promoted in 2016, relegated in 2017.
    All after an improbable 8 years in the EPL (and one FA Cup ... weirdly won the year they got the boot). It must be all but torture to be a long term supporter.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

All after an improbable 8 years in the EPL (and one FA Cup ... weirdly won the year they got the boot). It must be all but torture to be a long term supporter.
    I suspect the same fate will be visited on Sunderland supporters. They obviously have a much longer history than Wigan, and have had 4 different spells in the Premier League for a total of 16 years. They've bounced back pretty quickly, down in 1997, promoted in 1999, down in 2003, promoted in 2005, down in 2006, promoted in 2007. I just don't see a quick bounce back this time. Will they fall all the way to the 3rd division in the span of a few years, like Wigan and Bolton before them?

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Extending the misery to Arsenal fans everywhere, Arsene Wenger has signed a new 2 year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Extending the misery to Arsenal fans everywhere, Arsene Wenger has signed a new 2 year contract.
    Yeah ... the rejoicing in North London can be heard all the way .... there is no rejoicing.

Meanwhile Dortmund fired Thomas Tuechel for failing to meet expectations. Sure. Gooners are just thrilled with that juxtaposition.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... the rejoicing in North London can be heard all the way .... there is no rejoicing.

Meanwhile Dortmund fired Thomas Tuechel for failing to meet expectations. Sure. Gooners are just thrilled with that juxtaposition.
    There is plenty of rejoicing on the white side of North London.

I wanted Tuchel so bad...

Post Thanks / Like

Wrapping up the 2016-17 season with what's REALLY important ... here's the final payments chart for the Premiere League.https://www.premierleague.com/news/405400

You'll note that even with relatively paltry merit payouts, the relegated teams will all three receive more than 90 million for the season. Amazing, given how crappy those three teams really are.

AHL Veteran VinatieriDefinesClutch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Villa sure picked a hell of a time to get relegated for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VinatieriDefinesClutch View Post
    Villa sure picked a hell of a time to get relegated for the first time.
    On the upside, Villa drew a record 45 million pound balloon payment this past season. On the downside, they spent all of it and then some and still bumbled around and finished in the middle of the table in the Championship.

Here's to better days, VDC. Remember how much fun it was to finish 6th like 4 years in a row? I mean, it seemed frustrating at the time, but ...

AHL Veteran VinatieriDefinesClutch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I ever. The only Villa jersey I own is a Martin Laursen blue alternate jersey. My favorite jersey from my favorite period. Sigh...

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrapping up the 2016-17 season with what's REALLY important ... here's the final payments chart for the Premiere League.https://www.premierleague.com/news/405400

You'll note that even with relatively paltry merit payouts, the relegated teams will all three receive more than 90 million for the season. Amazing, given how crappy those three teams really are.
    Sunderland got more for finishing dead last in the PL than Real got for winning the CL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VinatieriDefinesClutch View Post
    Do I ever. The only Villa jersey I own is a Martin Laursen blue alternate jersey. My favorite jersey from my favorite period. Sigh...
    Dangit. Now you've gone and made me all misty. I hear they might be giving Barry a 2 year "do whatever you can manage until you retire" contract this summer. I did like that group.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516