• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016-17 Premier League Thread

Liverpool 3-1 Everton
Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace
Man U 0-0 West Brom
Burnley 0-2 Spurs
Hull 2-1 West Ham
Leicester 2-0 Stoke
Watford 1-0 Sunderland

Southampton 0-0 Bournemouth

With Hull winning, Sunderland are now 7 points from safety. And Spurs close to within 7 points of Chelsea.

Swansea 0-0 Middlesbrough
Arsenal 2-2 Man City

All 4 teams needed a win for different reasons, all 4 go home disappointed.

Midweek matches:

Tuesday:
Burnley v. Stoke 2:45/19:45
Leicester v. Sunderland
Watford v. West Brom
Man U v. Everton 3:00/20:00 NBCSN

Wednesday:
Arsenal v. West Ham 2:45/19:45
Hull v. Middlesbrough
Southampton v. Crystal Palace
Swansea v. Spurs
Chelsea v. Man City 3:00/20:00 NBCSN
Liverpool v. Bournemouth

Burnley 1-0 Stoke
Leicester 2-0 Sunderland
Watford 2-0 West Brom
Man U 1-1 Everton
Arsenal 3-0 West Ham
Hull 4-2 Middlesbrough
Southampton 3-1 Crystal Palace
Swansea 1-3 Spurs
Chelsea 2-1 Man City
Liverpool 2-2 Bournemouth

Chelsea maintain their 7 point lead on Spurs. After going into Sunday's matches talking about making a dent in Chelsea's lead, Man City are now 14 back after taking 1 of 6 available points. Arsenal climb back to 5th on goal differential over Man U.

At the foot, Sunderland are now 8 points from safety with 8 to play. Their run-in isn't that difficult, with mostly mid-table or worse clubs, except Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea. They do have 6 point matches against Boro, Hull and Swansea. Hull have moved up to 17th with Swansea dropping into relegation. And don't look now, but West Ham are on a terrible run, winless in their last 7, not having won since February 4. They're only 5 points from 18th. But they're home to Swansea and at Sunderland the next 2 weekends.

In the Championship, Brighton & Hove Albion are guaranteed at least a playoff spot, they're 19 points up on 7th place Fulham with 6 matches left. They and Newcastle have pulled awy from the field with Brighton on 83 points, Newcastle on 81 with 1 match in hand and then 8 back to Reading in 3rd. Huddersfield Town, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are in the other playoff spots. At the foot, Rotherham United have already been relegated, with 17 points from 40 matches. Wigan are 7 points from safety with Blackburn, Bristol City and Nottingham Forest separated by 2 points for 20th-22nd.

Last edited:
In the Championship, Brighton & Hove Albion are guaranteed at least a playoff spot, they're 19 points up on 7th place Fulham with 6 matches left. They and Newcastle have pulled awy from the field with Brighton on 83 points, Newcastle on 81 with 1 match in hand and then 8 back to Reading in 3rd. Huddersfield Town, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are in the other playoff spots. At the foot, Rotherham United have already been relegated, with 17 points from 40 matches. Wigan are 7 points from safety with Blackburn, Bristol City and Nottingham Forest separated by 2 points for 20th-22nd.

It's a wild melee in the Championship for those last two playoff spots. A lot of those clubs in 9th through 12th have actually been hot since the window closed and the mix changes pretty quickly. I hope Brighton finally closes the deal and gains promotion. They've been right there on the verge for several years now and that city really does embrace the team.

So are we writing off Sunderland and Middlesboro or does anybody still hold out some hope for them?

I think Sunderland are done like dinner. Crystal Palace and Hull are doing their best to keep it interesting although they've both pulled out of relegation with good runs, Palace with 12 points from their last 15 and Hull with 9, including 2 wins in a row. If we assume a team needs 36-38 points to survive, Boro need 13-15 and Sunderland need 16-18. Here is what the bottom 3 have left. Do you see 5 wins for Boro and 6 for Sunderland?

Swansea - @West Ham, @Watford, Stoke, @Man U, Everton, @Sunderland, West Brom
Boro - Burnley, Arsenal, @Bournemouth, Sunderland, Man City, @Chelsea, Southampton, @ Liverpool
Sunderland - Man U, West Ham, @Boro, Bournemouth, @Hull, Swansea, @Chelsea. They also have @Arsenal with a date TBD

Swansea only have 7 matches left and 4 are on the road. Boro only have 3 of their last 5 away, Sunderland have 4.

Hard to see West Ham continuing to plummet, but if they do, that could send them on a bad spiral. Their move to London Stadium has already got them leaking support.

Match week 32.

Saturday:
Spurs v. Watford 7:30/12?20 NBCSN
Man City v. Hull 10:00/15:00 NBCSN
Stoke v. Liverpool CNBC
Middlesbrough v. Burnley
West Brom v. Southampton
West Ham v. Swansea
Bournemouth v. Chelsea 12:30/17:30 NBC

Sunday:
Sunderland v. Man U 8:30/13:30 NBCSN
Everton v. Leicester 11:00/16:00 NBCSN

Monday:
Crystal Palace v. Arsenal 3:00/20:00 NBCSN

There are still 6 matches with dates TBD, primarily because of the EFL and FA Cups. Southampton and Arsenal have 2 each (1 against each other), Sunderland, Chelsea, Watford, Leicester, Spurs, Man City, West Brom and Man U are the others.

I think they're both toast.

Which all but guarantees that one of them will pull a miracle and survive.

I'd bet on Boro before Sunderland. Boro can't score, their 22 goals scored are worst in the league. but they've only allowed 37, tied for 6th best with Southampton and that includes giving up 4 to Hull on Wednesday. But they scored 2, the first time since December 17 that they've scored more than 1 in a match. So if they can score a few, they might have a chance to escape.

Tottenham 4-0 Watford
West Ham 1-0 Swansea
Stoke 1-2 Liverpool
Middlesboro 0-0 Burnley
Man City 3-1 Hull
West Brom 0-1 Southampton

Sunderland 0-3 Man U

Larsson got a rather unlucky red card late in the 1st half and that pretty much killed anything resembling a game.

Sunderland 0-3 Man U

Larsson got a rather unlucky red card late in the 1st half and that pretty much killed anything resembling a game.

I thought that was a rather easy call. Studs up, straight leg, miss the ball...straight red.

I thought that was a rather easy call. Studs up, straight leg, miss the ball...straight red.
I think its a yellow, I don't think its a tackle that's going to have enough force to hurt anybody.

The fact he wasn't off his feet or really lunging in with a lot of velocity puts it into that grey area for me.

I will say though that when the tackle went in I did think "the ref might go red here" so I don't think it was a huge mistake on the refs part.

Former Ref Sky have looking at stuff on a Monday morning said if 18 refs had that decision to make he through 9 would go yellow and 9 would go red.

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley was the victim of an "unprovoked attack" in a Liverpool bar, his lawyer has said.

CCTV footage circulating on social media shows the 23-year-old England player being hit in the face by a man.

Barkley was not seriously injured in the incident, which came hours after he played the full match for the Toffees in their win over Leicester on Sunday.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39552207

Crystal Palace 3-0 Arsenal

The door is on your left, Arsene. Not even the FA Cup can save you.

Back