• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016-17 Premier League Thread

Man City 2-1 Leicester
Bournemouth 2-1 Burnley
Middlesbrough 1-2 Southampton
Sunderland 0-2 Swansea
Stoke 1-4 Arsenal

With Swansea's win, Hull are relegated with a loss and basically relegated with a draw. Swansea and Palace both have a substantial goal difference advantage. Class move by the Swans players today too. They paid for transportation and tickets for their supporters to travel to Sunderland.

Craystal Palace 4-0 Hull

Hull are relegated

Big Sam pulls another rabbit out of his hat. Things might have been different had Hull gotten the penalty for a hand ball when it was still 1-0. Atkinson was shielded by the player and it was on the opposite side of the field from the assistant.

I don't think we'll see either Hull or Sunderland back for a while. Middlesbrough have a chance; their defense was good enough, only conceding 50 goals. They just couldn't score.

There had to have been a lot of wrenches smuggled into the Lane yesterday. There were a lot of seats missing by the close of business.

There had to have been a lot of wrenches smuggled into the Lane yesterday. There were a lot of seats missing by the close of business.

Have you seen the pictures from today? I think the wrecking ball started as soon as the final whistle blew.

And in a makeup match:

Chelsea 4-3 Watford

Have you seen the pictures from today? I think the wrecking ball started as soon as the final whistle blew.

And in a makeup match:

Chelsea 4-3 Watford

To be fair, they've been under construction adjacent to the existing building for some time now and actually closed some seating for this season. So they had quite a work gang waiting on the day when this season's games were done.

Some interesting pictures from after the game of supporters with various mementos that you have to wonder what they were thinking. One person allegedly was carrying a door down High Road. Spurs should be able to save on a few dumpsters' worth of disposal costs.

More makeup matches today:

Arsenal 2-0 Sunderland
Man City 3-1 Wast Brom

The battle for the Champions League spots comes down to the wire.

Man City - 75 points. At Watford
Liverpool - 73 points. Home to Middlesbrough
Arsenal - 72 points. Home to Everton

For all practical purposes, City have clinched. They have a 5 goal advantage over Arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southampton 0-0 Man U

Man U will finish the season with their fewest wins in the Premier League era, even if they beat Crystal Palace on Sunday.

In the Championship playoffs, Reading advance to the final, 2-1 on aggregate over Fulham. They'll face Huddersfield Town, who had go to penalties to advance over Sheffield Wednesday. If Huddersfield Town win the final, it will be their first ever appearance in the Premier League; they last played in the first division in 1971-72.

Southampton 0-0 Man U

Man U will finish the season with their fewest wins in the Premier League era, even if they beat Crystal Palace on Sunday.

In the Championship playoffs, Reading advance to the final, 2-1 on aggregate over Fulham. They'll face Huddersfield Town, who had go to penalties to advance over Sheffield Wednesday. If Huddersfield Town win the final, it will be their first ever appearance in the Premier League; they last played in the first division in 1971-72.

Given the way they play the game, I'd like to see Huddersfield Town get it done.

Putting a bow on the season:

In the games that mattered...
Arsenal 3-1 Everton
Watford 0-5 Man City
Liverpool 3-0 Middlesbrough

Man City finish 3rd with 78 points, Liverpool finish 4th with 76, Arsenal 5th with 75. For the first time in 20 years, Arsenal aren't in the Champions League.

The rest:
Burnley 1-2 West Ham
Chelsea 5-1 Sunderland
Hull 1-7 Spurs
Leicester 1-1 Bournemouth
Man U 2-0 Crystal Palace
Southampton 0-1 Stoke
Swansea 2-1 West Brom

Harry Kane wins the Golden Boot with 29 goals, despite missing 8 matches. Romelu Lukaku was 2nd with 25, Alexis Sanchez 3rd with 24.
Thibault Courtois wins the Golden Gloves with 16 clean sheets. Hugo Lloris was 2nd with 15, Fraser Forster and David DeGea tied for 3rd with 14

How was he going to survive as England"s manager? Or was the weekly grind of a league too much?

I just think that the England job would have probably been worth the grind, while Sam saw the Palace job as a paycheck and a shot at redemption. He came in to save them from the drop, did his job and got his check. I doubt anybody feels cheated.

Championship Final:

Huddersfield Town 4-3 Reading AET. Terriers win on penalties.

Huddersfield Town will make their first ever appearance in the Premier League, having been last relegated from the First Division after the 1971-72 season. They join Premier League debutantes Brighton & Hove Albion, who haven been in the top divisions since their last relegation after the 1982-83 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah ... so that's Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield for the full compliment or newbies. Newcastle aren't your typical debutante ... not with that roster and Rafa prowling the touch line. Neither are the other two either, both being complete outsiders. I like this mix better than your typical compliment of the usual rubber ball outfits. I'm rooting for Albion to find a way to stick. I think the league will be well served to add that market for awhile. Newcastle of course, have no business in the Championship to start with. Should be some pretty heavy pressure on some of those who struggled to avoid the drop this spring to hang on next season ... especially Watford, Burnley and Swansea. Those are three pretty dreadful sides, survivors or not.

Last edited:
So to wrap it all up:

In the Championship, Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham United were relegated to League One.

In League One, Sheffield United and Bolton got the automatic promotions, Millwall won the playoff. Port Vale, Swindon Town, Coventry City and Chesterfield were relegated.

In League Two, Portsmouth, Plymouth Argyle and Doncaster got the automatic promotions, Blackpool won the playoff. Hartlepool United and Leyton Orient were relegated.

In the National League, Lincoln City got the automatic promotion, Forest Green Rovers won the playoff. It's their first ever promotion to the Football League and makes their home town of Nailbridge in Gloucestershire the smallest town ever represented in the League.

Back