• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

World Cup ... Excited or Nah?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
For discussion ... do you care about the approaching World Cup (hockey version)?

Gotta be honest ... I kinda don't.

I'm kinda meh about the idea of it, but going over the rosters a few days ago, I was thinking it could be some really good hockey. I want to see how that young Team NA plays, and of course I'm interested in our own Mr. Aho's first major foray against NHL competition. Let's say: I'll watch, but not sweat it if I miss a night or two.

Don't know when it starts, what TV network is carrying it, etc. If I stumbled across it, I'd probably watch, but unless it's on during the day, probably not going to happen, I work 2nd shift.

Quick glance at the schedule indicates that the early rounds have a fair number of 3:00 and 3:30 games. ESPN has the television in the States. Starts Sept 17. Championship game is Oct 1.

All just for the record. Aside from taking a peek at Aho ... again, I'm just not feeling this thing. I love the Olympic hockey tournament and I really feel like this is just an offering to fans to soften the inevitable blow when the NHL manufactures their next work stoppage by blowing up player participation in the Olympics. It's not like they have this thing on any regular cycle, given that the last one was 12 years ago.

Don't care at all. May watch a Finland game or 2 if they are on in prime time. I would not care more if the Canes had other guys playing

It's live hockey, I'll watch at least some of it. If my boss isn't around, I may even stream the afternoon games for background noise in my office.

I've actually been to a couple of World Cup of Hockey Tournaments in the past and they have been pretty special in my opinion. The level of hockey played and the skill is off the charts, perhaps the timing of the tournament is not ideal and I can see why many are not too excited about it but overall the teams are pretty well balanced.

I'm interested to see just how good the North American Under 23 team stacks up against the other teams...after all, the NHL truly has become a young man's game.

Got to be better than the last 7 years of Canes hockey. At least the IIHF gets the scoring right with 3 point games. Something the NHL stubbornly refuses to even consider.

I will probably end up watching games because its high level hockey and there is some intrigue with the younger teams. I do want to see what Aho looks like on the smaller ice against the top players in the world, that is by far my biggest draw. Hopefully Aho learns plenty playing with Team Finland there because that is seriously cutting into his training camp time with the Canes. Its one thing for a vet who knows the guys and system he is returning to miss most of NHL training camp, but a rookie playing his first pro season?

If Team Finland ends up playing in the finals on Oct 1st then assuming Aho immediately jets to Minnesota to join the Canes for their preseason game there on Oct 2nd, he will have all of 11 days of training camp with the Canes before their season opener. 4 of those days we have pre-season games. I kind of want Finland to bow out as quickly as possible so Aho can spend more time with the Canes preparing for the season.

I will probably end up watching games because its high level hockey and there is some intrigue with the younger teams. I do want to see what Aho looks like on the smaller ice against the top players in the world, that is by far my biggest draw. Hopefully Aho learns plenty playing with Team Finland there because that is seriously cutting into his training camp time with the Canes. Its one thing for a vet who knows the guys and system he is returning to miss most of NHL training camp, but a rookie playing his first pro season?

If Team Finland ends up playing in the finals on Oct 1st then assuming Aho immediately jets to Minnesota to join the Canes for their preseason game there on Oct 2nd, he will have all of 11 days of training camp with the Canes before their season opener. 4 of those days we have pre-season games. I kind of want Finland to bow out as quickly as possible so Aho can spend more time with the Canes preparing for the season.

A few teams will cringe after seeing one of their prized players get injured in the tournament and be forced to miss NHL games...one thing is certain with this tourney, these guys are fresh off a summer of no game action so you will definitely see some injuries along the way that will impact an NHL team or two out of the gate to start the regular season.

I'll probably watch some of those games, because *shrug* hockey.

But am also entirely okay with the minimal Canes presence in those games.

My interest will undoubtedly be proportional to whether or not my Mets are still in pennant race.

Back