• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016-17 Season Misc News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Nothing new to report. Just opening up a new thread for a new season now that we've made it through Labor Day.

Still lots of key RFAs unsigned. Zemgus Girgensons inked a one year bridge deal with the Sabres but all of these guys are still waiting for a deal with Camp mere 2 weeks away:

Dmitry Orlov - Caps
Johnny Gaudreau - Flames
Valeri Nichushkin - Stars
Rasmus Ristolainen - Sabres
Hampus Lindholm - Ducks
Jacob Trouba - Jets
Nikita Kucherov - Bolts
Rickard Rakell - Ducks
Ryan Strome - Islanders
Tobias Rieder - Yotes
Nikita Nesterov - Bolts

Obviously its more likely than not that all of these guys are signed within the next 2 weeks but there is some serious players on that list asking for big bucks and long term and the clock is ticking....

As for Canes news, if you are interested in analytics as a method to predict how teams might do this year and looking for any pundit to say anything positive about the Canes Travis Yost is your guy:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/a-first-crack-at-predicting-the-2016-17-nhl-standings-1.561787

And if you didn't catch this already, Team Finland has started WCoH camp with these lines:

Aleksander Barkov centering Patrik Laine and Jussi Jokinen
Mikko Koivu centering Mikael Granlund and Joonas Donskoi
Teuvo Teravainen, Valtteri Filppula and Jori Lehtera combined to form the third line
Erik Haula, Lauri Korpikoski and Leo Komarov were the fourth line.

Sebastian Aho was the extra forward.

Those lines were pulled from Shawn P. Roarke's writeup found on NHL.com here: https://www.nhl.com/news/team-finland-to-feature-familiar-top-line/c-281557644?tid=278386054

Last edited:
Just let the kid train with them. Don't want him getting injured in this competition.

I agree about not wanting Aho to get hurt, but it would suck if he doesn't play at all, especially a little bit with Teravainen. If Finland gets to the finals they are both going to miss a lot of camp and 4 Canes exhibition games. That is all time that would have been better spent actually practicing and playing exhibitions with the team that they are actually going to be suiting up with when the NHL regular season starts. I wouldn't be so worried about chemistry if this was Skinner or someone else who has been here a while, but 2 new guys coming into the org and one having not even suited up for a NA pro game that counts yet? That would really stink for Aho and the Canes if he doesn't play at least one game. Really any face time a Canes player gets on some sort of National stage is a boost for the whole organization.

I don't want Canes players getting hurt but if Aho is going to be taken away from camp/preseason he at least better get a chance to do more than skate in some practices.

Still lots of key RFAs unsigned. Zemgus Girgensons inked a one year bridge deal with the Sabres but all of these guys are still waiting for a deal with Camp mere 2 weeks away:

Dmitry Orlov - Caps
Johnny Gaudreau - Flames
Valeri Nichushkin - Stars
Rasmus Ristolainen - Sabres
Hampus Lindholm - Ducks
Jacob Trouba - Jets
Nikita Kucherov - Bolts
Rickard Rakell - Ducks
Ryan Strome - Islanders
Tobias Rieder - Yotes
Nikita Nesterov - Bolts

For the record that is a BUNCH of significant players to be still awaiting contract agreements this late in the off season. It's a serious side effect of having so many players in their entry contracts come up under the newer Cap rules and grow into meaningful roles so early in their careers. I'm certain that the players union will want to discuss moving the arbitration eligibility bar if at all possible. Of course, that would come at the cost of giving on something else ...

If NHL teams actually signed RFAs to offer sheets instead of treating them like a forbidden section of the CBA never to be used again that whole backlog would clear up rather quickly.

Yeah ... likely so. I just think the draft pick compensation is set too steep for that. Maybe they can horse trade a bit with the Union ... reduce the compensation a bit and lower the arbitration bar to 3 NHL seasons. Something like that might actually help everyone.

Wow, I've never seen a more chaotic league franchise history timeline...

I've been to minor league games at the Annex when they were the IceHawks in the ol' UHL, to root for my hometown Fury against 'em :) Honestly didn't even think the ice plant was still viable in that barn.

WS is quite the geographic outlier in that bunch #travelcosts

Yeah ... unless they're going to fill the geographical gap with some more franchises, I see that Winston franchise lasting about one season or so.

Parros was the rare NHL goon with a brain. He'll probably be a good addition in that office.

No points and a -1 in a little more than 12 minutes for Teravainen in Finland's 3-2 OT exhibition win over Sweden. Aho wasn't in the lineup.

Correcto ...

Also the same one who with Montreal had at least two official and rather spectacular concussions. So he's coming from a place of knowledge along with the brains to make people see things differently. I believe he has some sort of 'big league' degree in law or something? Maybe I am mixing him up with someone else in that regard.

Back