• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016-17 Season Misc News Thread

I think it's patently obvious at this point that our "goalie solution" will either be Nedjeljkovic or someone even further out. If this front office wasn't going to spend money this summer and figured this group is good enough then there's no way they make another move now. Nor do I trust them to do so if I'm honest.

Carey Price faces no discipline for actions against Kyle Palmieri. I guess punching a guy in the back while he's face down on the ice and your own teammate is trying to drag the defenseless player away is just a hockey play and sets a fine example for our youth. Did I miss when Patrick Roy became the head of Player Safety?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Carey Price faces no discipline for actions against Kyle Palmieri. I guess punching a guy in the back while he's face down on the ice and your own teammate is trying to drag the defenseless player away is just a hockey play and sets a fine example for our youth. Did I miss when Patrick Roy became the head of Player Safety?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yeah. Sorry if this offends any of our Montreal fan friends, but that was horsecrap from pretty much everybody involved.

He's a star, they've been running him for years. He missed almost an entire season. He got a pass. **** Palmieri.

He's a star, they've been running him for years. He missed almost an entire season. He got a pass. **** Palmieri.

A. I don't like giving guys passes because that means somebody's making a value judgement and that never ends well for non-name brand teams and players. Either stars shouldn't be the only guys allowed to get a pass every so often ... or nobody gets passes. Since I don't trust the NHL offices to pick a decent lunch spot, I'll pass on their ability to draw that line fairly.

B. That said ... couldn't agree with the last part more and the league needs to do some bloody thing about all this "accidental-on-purpose" contact with keepers we've seen over the last two seasons.

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that the Islanders put Jaro Halak on waivers. He's started 20 of their 35 games.

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that the Islanders put Jaro Halak on waivers. He's started 20 of their 35 games.

Waived for a wakeup call? He has been terrible whereas Greiss has at least held his own. Halak was really good for them for two seasons running so I really doubt he lost his mojo entirely ... but who knows? That guy has gone thru some truly crappy stretches in his career.

Halak is one of several problems with the Islanders. They didn't resign key players and they brought in Andrew Ladd with an expectation he'd be a scorer. Drafting has also been problematic for the Islanders as many of their high draft picks have not panned out. Now, they're stuck in another bad arena. As much as I hear Capuano is on the hot seat, you have to wonder will Garth Snow be shown the door.

Yeah. About 2 years ago they were sitting in a good place in terms of growth but Snow has really struggled to maintain things. And let's face it, as we know all too well around Raleigh, it ain't easy competing in this league when you have serious budget constraints. Your margin or error is thin and you can't afford to miss on your scouting on free agents. As good a return as they got in years past on guys like Parenteau and Neilson, they're getting pretty much the opposite with Laddie ... for more money.

Yeah. About 2 years ago they were sitting in a good place in terms of growth but Snow has really struggled to maintain things. And let's face it, as we know all too well around Raleigh, it ain't easy competing in this league when you have serious budget constraints. Your margin or error is thin and you can't afford to miss on your scouting on free agents. As good a return as they got in years past on guys like Parenteau and Neilson, they're getting pretty much the opposite with Laddie ... for more money.

Budget constraints? The Isles have a $72 million payroll!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Budget constraints? The Isles have a $72 million payroll!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High payroll, low admin budget. They have almost as few scouts and actual front office staff (as opposed to ceremonial former players) as we do ... which is as you know the dead flat minimum.

Back