• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Pre-Season GDT: Canes @ Caps 9/26 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes travel to Washington for the first pre-season game.

Chip tweeted the Canes and Caps rosters last night. The Canes are bringing 23 to Washington. Forwards: Staal, McClement, Stalberg, Bickell, Brown, Zykov, Nordstrom, Gauthier, Poturalski, Roy, Kuokkanen, Tolchinsky, Bishop. Dmen: Murphy, Faulk, Lowe, Robertson, McKeown, Slavin, Chelios. Lack and Ned in goal. Caps will not have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov, JWill and others. They're going with Vitek Vanecek and former Cherker Drew MacIntyre in goal.

The game will not be on terrestrial radio, you can listen on the WRALSportsFan website or through the WRALSportsFan app. This will be the case for all pre-season games.

Pretty sure with the current roster opportunities for forwards, this is just a taster for Gaulthier, Roy and Kuokkanen. Tolchinsky and Zykov though ... time to show off the goods, boys.

Pretty sure with the current roster opportunities for forwards, this is just a taster for Gaulthier, Roy and Kuokkanen. Tolchinsky and Zykov though ... time to show off the goods, boys.

I thought both Tolchinsky and Zykov were good yesterday. We'll see what happens when they get to the big boys. For Roy, it's probably also an opportunity to try to move up to the #5 center, first callup from Charlotte. Maybe Gauthier and Kuokkanen get to stick around until Friday and get a home pre-season game. More likely though, they'll be headed back to juniors tomorrow.

Also a broadcast note. The Canes tweeted that they're unsure if the radio broadcast will be on the Canes app, since it's controlled by the league. If you're jonesing for Chuck and the letter K, the only way to guarantee that you can hear it is on the WRALSportsFan platforms.

Will listen until it's time to switch off the radio and watch the slugfest- or presidential debates...

For Roy, it's probably also an opportunity to try to move up to the #5 center, first callup from Charlotte.

Next season though, he's obligated to go back to the QMJHL unless he's on the Canes roster this year.

Next season I could see Roy as our 3rd line center considering he appears to have all of the goods (size, skill, faceoffs, can kill penalties, etc.). By next year Stalberg and McClement and Bickell will all be long gone, Teravainen will get an RFA raise which will help us get to the cap floor (unless we have Ben Bishop by then in which case we will be at the floor easily enough) and we will be looking to fill some of the roster spots left by Hainsey, Stalberg, McClement, Bickell and Nestrasil (like the guy, but think this is his last season here, just too much talent nipping at his heels) with some of our prospects (Roy, McGinn, Gauthier, Fleury and/or McKeown (last chance Ryan Murphy!!!)). Roy can fast track to the Canes next season if he goes back to the Q and dominates all facets of the game there again.

Last edited:
Roy can fast track to the Canes next season if he goes back to the Q and dominates all facets of the game there again.

Agreed. And I think Gaulthier might be with him when he knocks on the door. They both have the physical goods already. Just a matter of doing what the Canes staff want from them in terms of learning new skills, and building up old ones.

Crap, I thought Roy was done with Juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice canes goal by brown. He was at center and breaking in with a left winger. The winger tossed a pass towards him, but it was deflected a bit and brown caught it on the inside of his right skate, kicked it to his stick and threw it in.

Nice win... it may be preseason, but there's no reason to expect the Caps to be pushovers.

The canes looked good and controlled a lot of the play.
I didn't watch specific players but three kinda stood out - Faulk, Slavin and Tocholinski.

Back