• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

St. John's IceCaps: 2016-17 Season

IceCaps still looking for a win, they lose 2-1. Ryan Johnson with the only goal. 31 saves for Fucale.

McCarron got a game misconduct for fighting at the end of the game , plus another match penalty for head butting.

How much longer do they keep Sly running things?

He hasn't had any success running the AHL team and player development is mediocre at best

hockey30-2016-10-17-a-15.12.40.png

I've been saying it for a while now. Lefebvre needs to go. He is an horrible coach. I can't name a single "talented" player who got better by playing in the AHL with this guy.

The only good thing as I said is the Icecaps (soon the rockets) are moving in town next year. Won't be easy to hide the mediocrity they have there so he will get the boot not soon enough if you ask me.

I defended Lefebvre for a long time, but I can't do it.

Apparently, McCarron ended up fighting the other team's goon over the weekend and if that's true, Lefebvre should be fired on the spot. He's making the biggest guy on the team, yet again, be the "sheriff" on the team just like Tinordi.

Less hurr durr size hurr bullshit, more skill development.

McCarron has 2 fights in 3 games; oh and a head butting penalty.

This is after Bergevin went out and acquired fighters in Broll, Racine, Farnham, and Coderre-Gagnon in this off-season.

They acquired 4 goons for the AHL... and they also still have Crisp left over from last year to give them five AHL goons, and McCarron has fought twice in three games. Five guys who should be fighting long before the guy they are using as first line centre and trying to develop his offense.

Its ****ING MIND BOGGLING.

Last edited:
I guess that means Fucale will eventually head to the ECHL or Lindgren? Fucale could use a mentor in Denis or more work in the ECHL?

Fucale was always earmarked to start in the ECHL rather than riding the bench in the AHL.

When Condon didn't clear waivers that messed up the plan.

They are now just putting a reliable AHL goalie in place so that when price is healthy and lindgren is sent to the AHL, Fucale goes to where he was supposed to go.

There is another issue at play and that's the team's impending move to Laval next season. A team that loses as much as the Ice Caps won't be able to sell many tickets and while your farm team does exist to develop players for the parent club it's also a business unto itself and it needs to make money too. Lefebvre, in addition to his other shortcomings, is not making this team any money.

I've been saying it for a while now. Lefebvre needs to go. He is an horrible coach. I can't name a single "talented" player who got better by playing in the AHL with this guy.

The only good thing as I said is the Icecaps (soon the rockets) are moving in town next year. Won't be easy to hide the mediocrity they have there so he will get the boot not soon enough if you ask me.

This might be true to some degree, but let's be honest - no one cares about the AHL regardless of location. I live in Toronto and although the hardcores may check in from time to time it's generally a complete afterthought.

This might be true to some degree, but let's be honest - no one cares about the AHL regardless of location. I live in Toronto and although the hardcores may check in from time to time it's generally a complete afterthought.
True but like I said no team can afford to play in an empty arena forever. Sooner or later you have to give people a reason to show up. Lefebvre isn't doing that. He's never done that since he was hired.

True but like I said no team can afford to play in an empty arena forever. Sooner or later you have to give people a reason to show up. Lefebvre isn't doing that. He's never done that since he was hired.

The reason to show up to these AHL teams is the fact that tickets are super cheap and marketed towards bringing kids to the games. They aren't about winning and losing. Its about talking the kids out to see the Habs farm team at a far cheaper price than seeing the Habs. Thats the model that works for the Marlies and other AHL teams that are located close to the NHL parents.

How much longer do they keep Sly running things?

He hasn't had any success running the AHL team and player development is mediocre at best

Not to mention, the guy has zero chance of being an NHL head coach. ideally, you want someone with more upside just in case

The reason to show up to these AHL teams is the fact that tickets are super cheap and marketed towards bringing kids to the games. They aren't about winning and losing. Its about talking the kids out to see the Habs farm team at a far cheaper price than seeing the Habs. Thats the model that works for the Marlies and other AHL teams that are located close to the NHL parents.

Except you are absolutely wrong about the Marlies. They have been a top team in the AHL for more than 5 years in a row, finish 1st of their division 4 of the last 5 years (finish 2nd the only year they have not won it).

They have won the championship 5 years ago and made it to the semi-finals 3 other times in that span.

Seriously, their AHL team has a winning culture unlike ours.

Back