• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Toronto @ Winnipeg | Wednesday October 19, 2016 | 8pm | Sportsnet

Jeremy

leafs-logo-620.jpg

auston-matthews_zpsgdmg1cqy.jpg

FB_IMG_1476586019889_zps8dxtkgh7.jpg

Go Leafs Go!!!

These off days are killing me. The Jays game start early and ends early, I should be immediately switching to the Matthews/Marner/Nylander/.....show

I'm interested in getting a look at Zeke's favourite player, Patrik Laine.

Remember when he tried to convince us that Laine was better than Matthews...while trying really hard to make it look like that's not what he was doing?

Good times man, good times.

Very good times.

This should be a good one. Lots of good young talent on both teams. Though Leafs > Thrashers

These off days are killing me. The Jays game start early and ends early, I should be immediately switching to the Matthews/Marner/Nylander/.....show
Yeah, the show the kids have put on the first two games has left me impatient for the chance to see them play some more. It should work out perfectly tomorrow though, Jays @ 4 PM, Leafs/Jets @ 8 PM.

That'll be the start of three games in four nights for the Leafs.

Finally a consistent run of games for our players and hopefully Andersen can continue his play from saturday night.

Sounds like Enroth will be getting into tomorrow nights game

Media paints this as Matthews vs. Laine round I, but reality is this game is even more interesting from a Leafs vs. Winnipeg standpoint.

Both teams kinda hit rock bottom last year (finished 1st and 4th worst overall), but both teams also have a lot of good young players on the team. This is a lot more than just Matthews and Laine, but instead it is more like Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly vs. Scheifele, Laine, Wheelers, Ehlers.

I expect a fast paced game that is fun to watch.

Media paints this as Matthews vs. Laine round I, but reality is this game is even more interesting from a Leafs vs. Winnipeg standpoint.

Both teams kinda hit rock bottom last year (finished 1st and 4th worst overall), but both teams also have a lot of good young players on the team. This is a lot more than just Matthews and Laine, but instead it is more like Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly vs. Scheifele, Laine, Wheelers, Ehlers.

I expect a fast paced game that is fun to watch.

Wheeler is 30 years old, but yeah there's a ton of elite young talent on both clubs.

There are actually two sets of players playing for the Jets and Leafs that were passed on by the Leafs high in the draft, and selected by the Jets with the next pick:

2016: Matthews (1st), Laine (2nd)
2014: Nylander (8th), Ehlers (9th)

The vitriol from jets fan against Toronto and the leafs is amusing. I'm guessing there must a Winnipeg jets cup dynasty or two that I've somehow missed.

The vitriol from jets fan against Toronto and the leafs is amusing. I'm guessing there must a Winnipeg jets cup dynasty or two that I've somehow missed.
It's funny, they do have a pretty solid group of young players in their own right and should be pretty happy.

But I'm guessing they're butthurt that Toronto's group is almost universally acknowledged to be superior.

Any lineup change for us? I presume Babs will go with the same lineup, but interesting to see if Corrado, Polak may get in at some point.

And with back to back, I guess Andersen starts today, and Enroth makes his first start as a Leaf tomorrow?

I knew that when Winnipeg came into the league they'd be a lot like the other Western Canada teams with an irrational hatred of us bordering on obsession. They're all talking about how if they could choose to blowout one game this year it'd be this one. We're not even rivals...

Where are people seeing all this hate? I must not be plugged into the Winnipeg scene, which i assume means wearing your dress flannel to games instead of a jersey.

I knew that when Winnipeg came into the league they'd be a lot like the other Western Canada teams with an irrational hatred of us bordering on obsession. They're all talking about how if they could choose to blowout one game this year it'd be this one. We're not even rivals...
Well, maybe they just have that Vancouver mentality, where they hate us and think we rivals, even though Leaf fans rarely give their team a passing thought.

I mean, how can you have a rivalry when you only play twice a year, the teams aren't competing for a playoff spot, and you never meet in the playoffs?

Where are people seeing all this hate? I must not be plugged into the Winnipeg scene, which i assume means wearing your dress flannel to games instead of a jersey.
My guess would be HFboards.

When I want to get an idea of what "Joe fan" from any particular fanbase is thinking, that's usually where I'd pop in to have a look. And from checking the prospect boards on that site leading up to the draft, I know there was a massive amount of Laine >> Matthews stuff, mostly coming from Jets fans and a horde of Finnish posters.

Back