• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flames 10/20 9:00

JamesNorthern

Trying my hand at helping us get our first W... so far, for those watching closely, we're seeing mixed results, lots of positives, much inexperience coming through or nervy disjointed, no flow play... come and go over the course of the first 3 games. Our situation between the pipes is short of comical, hoping that whoever gets the start turns in a good one. Haven't seen word on if it is Lack or Ward. Stempniak return(he previously played 3 seasons with the Flames), please light em up. Expect Kris Versteeg to have a good game for the Flames, calling it: 1G 1A.
Also interesting to see if Nakladal gets the start, for obvious storyline purposes. I can't see why we take away the opportunity for him to show up his former club after putting in a nice stretch only to be waived in the offseason.
Locals and TV ppl, please add the details for coverage. I'm old school.. tuning in to Chuck K.

Go Canes... I predict we take this one 5-2.

Moderators, please sticky. Cheers

Last edited:
Well ... Calgary's not doing much better than our crowd. They've managed a W, but two losses and an OT loss to go with it. So nobody involved is feeling great about their start thus far. Their roster is pretty top heavy both on D and up front so this one might be a good opportunity for Carolina's third line to find some space to operate. Nakladal will probably get another run out, as James mentions. He's a former Flame and wasn't any worse than Dahlbeck. I also assume that Lack will rotate into the net. Other lineup news will probably blob out during the day.

As for TV stuff .... it's a 9:00 eastern start and I'm 90% certain it's on FS Carolinas in the Triangle.

Last edited:
Tanks for fillin in addional info JB. Yeah after signing big contracts the Flames fabulous duo of Goudreau and Monohan have been on the schneid a bit... but Monohan got the winner in their last game, their first win. As you said, previous to that, they were winless too.

I really hope Peters tries some different line combos tonight. Leave the productive one alone, unless they somehow have an off game, and try something else with the other two. I know we want Staal to be centering a more shutdown line, but he does have enough ability to add depending on his linemates. I really think he and Nordstrom are a good duo, since Netrasil has yet to recover form. I would like to see us try using either Aho on his off wing or Frk up there. Anyway, let's get a W for crying out potatoes.

Hoping Lack gets the call and the boys can take control and KEEP control of the game...

I have a nice Brueprint (Apex, NC) Edinbrue Scotch Ale aged in Carbernet Sauvignon Barrels to drink. I certainly hope the beer won't be spoiled by poor play and another loss!

Would love to put some real top-six wingers with Staal for a change. Something we've rarely given him to work with.

But whoever those wingers might be down the line, they're going to have to have a strong two-way defensive game since Staal's going to be out for every critical D-zone draw against opposition's top line and D-pairing.

I think that search continues.

I think that search continues.

Maybe, but that search is probably for defensive minded wingers who can pitch in the odd goal. I think the club's experiments with Staal as a scoring line center are over. Mercifully.

I see him in more of a Joe Thornton role as a possession machine and playmaker that can score.

What he needs are defensive wingers that can finish in close...like Gauthier.

I see him in more of a Joe Thornton role as a possession machine and playmaker that can score.

What was the take on Gauthier after training camp anyway? How'd he look out there? Did he see playing time against NHL caliber/pre-season action? Anyway, that avenue has been set and we won't be seeing him with us this season, unless his team bows out I believe per rules, and we sign him and play him... or something, but that would be at the end of our season. Otherwise, just curious, I recall reading he looked like a man among boys out there sort of thing, also him and Nic Roy having some chemistry... but did we see his talent/potential in the samples we got thus far?

Yeah. Sorry, but no. Thornton has always been one of the best passing centers in the NHL, whether in a checking or scoring line role. Staal is a decent two-way center with some offense, but much more of a poor man's Rod Brind'Amour than anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought the franchise and the player had embraced that fact by now ... which I think they have.

And Gauthier? As a defensive winger? Not even close. He's a predatory attacker if I've ever seen one.

What was the take on Gauthier after training camp anyway? How'd he look out there? Did he see playing time against NHL caliber/pre-season action? Anyway, that avenue has been set and we won't be seeing him with us this season, unless his team bows out I believe per rules, and we sign him and play him... or something, but that would be at the end of our season. Otherwise, just curious, I recall reading he looked like a man among boys out there sort of thing, also him and Nic Roy having some chemistry... but did we see his talent/potential in the samples we got thus far?

My take ... good looking kid, VERY aggressive offensively, heavy shot, decent hands, not much of a passer, kind of a drive-by guy along the wall so he needs to learn to use his size and leverage better. He and Roy did have a good camp together and look comfortable playing together. Both look hungry for goals, even when playing against vets. Man against boys? No. That's well past the point of hype. For my money Gauthier, Roy and Bean looked the best of the junior eligible bunch, which is no big surprise I guess. All three still have plenty of growing up to do though. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

My take ... good looking kid, VERY aggressive offensively, heavy shot, decent hands, not much of a passer, kind of a drive-by guy along the wall so he needs to learn to use his size and leverage better. He and Roy did have a good camp together and look comfortable playing together. Both look hungry for goals, even when playing against vets. Man against boys? No. That's well past the point of hype. For my money Gauthier, Roy and Bean looked the best of the junior eligible bunch, which is no big surprise I guess. All three still have plenty of growing up to do though. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I hear you. Thanks for fillin' in where us out of towners can't see. appeciate it always. yeah and I guess no surprise, unless we still see Roy as a surprise, but I think it was more of a surprise that he feel down in the draft and landed where he did. (he was projected higher originally).

I was talking about expectations prior to camp, not draft position. I stop caring what round they came from the second they appear to be actual prospects. I can't think of anything that matters less.

I was talking about expectations prior to camp, not draft position. I stop caring what round they came from the second they appear to be actual prospects. I can't think of anything that matters less.

ok ok ok. I read your point. Valid as it is, they happen to be our highest drafted prospects in the cupboards correct? Or maybe not in the case of Roy. But like you said of course after they are drafted - none of that really matters.

Aside, sort of...was looking at Nolan Patrick, looks like another good one.

Michael Smith via Gameday on the Canes site has the lineup as:

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Staal-Di Giuseppe
Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen
Bickell-McClement-Stalberg

Hainsey-Faulk
Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Dahlbeck

So Frk and Nestrasil and Nakladal out. Stalberg and Dahlbeck back in.

Michael Smith via Gameday on the Canes site has the lineup as:

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Staal-Di Giuseppe
Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen
Bickell-McClement-Stalberg

Hainsey-Faulk
Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Dahlbeck

So Frk and Nestrasil and Nakladal out. Stalberg and Dahlbeck back in.

McClement must have flashed those incriminating photos again...still in the lineup, still doing absolutely nothing well, wash, rinse, repeat...

6 minutes of High sticking minors in a row. (one a double.)

Missed a High stick by them n the second incident. 4 on 4 for :03.

Rask Scores a PP goal. 2-0
And another penalty. We need to sty out of the box even if our PK is good.

Slavin is looking (very) good and Nordstrom is blocking shots.

Oh no Stålberg scores 3-0 Oh no not again. Sweet pass from Dahlbeck

Really liking what PDG has brought this year.
What a save by Lack on that Breakaway.

Last edited:
Nope, nope, nope... do not agree with Chuck that the goaltending situation in Raleigh is just fine.

Even more so now that it's 3-2 in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Back