• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Sens 11/1 7:30

JamesNorthern

The Canes hit the road for a pit stop in Canada's capital for a matchup against the Ottawa Senators. If you haven't read by now, the Sens have ralied behind their goaltender Craig Anderson, who's wife has been diagnosed with cancer recently. The team responded well by blanking the young star riddled Oilers 2-0 in their previous contest backed by Anderson.
The Canes are coming into this one still working on consistency in the areas of their 5 on 5 game as well as goaltending and reducing turnovers/defensive breakdowns. Still a lot of bright spots to offset the early difficulties going on... just a little personal feeling I got and my gut says Aho gets his first tonight - speaking of bright spots. I keep reading it and rightfully so - Sebastian has real hockey sense and nifty/shifty skills to support them. You can see him learning shift by shift, game by game. I think it has been two straight games now that he's almost scored on the first shift after the opening faceoff. Besides that there seems to be some work or ironing out to be done yet with the d. Slavin and Pesce in my mind have been the most consistent pair and I don't see why we change that. In a small sample of Faulk with Hanifin, suddenly the latter's sophomore misqueues dried up and went away - yet we put him back with Dahlbeck on the 3rd pairing and end up benching the latter again for an entire 3rd period of a game. Staff better stop short changing him. I know Faulk has the seniority and good skill, but I think Hanifin wants top pairing minutes and responds well to it. Is he ready for it? With Faulk at his side - absolutely.
Outside of these pairing issues based on results, the goaltending has been as expected. I think we've seen a couple of good games from Ward and Lack each this year. That ain't going to help.
Game time is 7h30 EST - Go Canes!

Last edited:
Re: GDT: Canes @ Sens 11/1 7:30

The Canes hit the road for a pit stop in Canada's capital for a matchup against the Ottawa Senators. If you haven't read by now, the Sens have ralied behind their goaltender Craig Anderson, who's wife has been diagnosed with cancer recently. The team responded well by blanking the young star riddled Oilers 2-0 in their previous contest backed by Anderson.
The Canes are coming into this one still working on consistency in the areas of their 5 on 5 game as well as goaltending and reducing turnovers/defensive breakdowns. Still a lot of bright spots to offset the early difficulties going on... just a little personal feeling I got and my gut says Aho gets his first tonight - speaking of bright spots. I keep reading it and rightfully so - Sebastian has real hockey sense and nifty/shifty skills to support them. You can see him learning shift by shift, game by game. I think it has been two straight games now that he's almost scored on the first shift after the opening faceoff. Besides that there seems to be some work or ironing out to be done yet with the d. Slavin and Pesce in my mind have been the most consistent pair and I don't see why we change that. In a small sample of Faulk with Hanifin, suddenly the latter's sophomore misqueues dried up and went away - yet we put him back with Dahlbeck on the 3rd pairing and end up benching the latter again for an entire 3rd period of a game. Staff better stop short changing him. I know Faulk has the seniority and good skill, but I think Hanifin wants top pairing minutes and responds well to it. Is he ready for it? With Faulk at his side - absolutely.
Outside of these pairing issues based on results, the goaltending has been as expected. I think we've seen a couple of good games from Ward and Lack each this year. That ain't going to help.
Game time is 7h30 EST - Go Canes!

They have managed yet again to dig a pretty deep hole for themselves and the Canes can already use that same, tired excuse down the road if they fail to make the playoffs again that the poor start was the difference. So having said all that, this is setting up to be an almost must win game with the Canes having to pretty much dictate the play and show the urgency to get the two points on the road. I'm still waiting for a full 60 minute effort and a goaltender to actually steal a game...might be waiting a long time for that though.

Re: GDT: Canes @ Sens Flyers 11/1 7:30

At this stage I have no feel for our team other than our top line can score. Right now we are the worst team in the Eastern Conference and only Nashville and Arizona have less points than we do, so its the same old same old, another lousy start to the season. Ottawa averages a little over 3 goals scored per game and a little over 3 goals allowed per game. We average 3 goals per game and allow 3.75 goals per game.

Lack will probably be the starter for this one. I don't know what to do about Lindholm but he is not getting it done with Teravainen. There really isn't a good option to break those 2 up at this point without disrupting our top line or Staal's line. I wouldn't mind seeing Nestrasil back in and maybe Lindholm sitting one out (Teravainen-Aho-Nestrasil with PDG on the Staal line maybe?). At some point here it might also be a good idea to send PDG to Charlotte and see if McGinn or Poturalski (6 games, 4 goals 3 assists +6) can spark something if things continue to go poorly. PDG is a pointless -4 in 6 games so far. I think he could use some top 6 time in Charlotte to re-group.

Matt Tennyson has 4 assists in 6 games and is +4 for Charlotte. I understand that Nakladal is 'experienced right handed shot' depth for this club, but once Ryan Murphy is back are we really going to carry 2 extra DMen? I think Dahlbeck is staying for now as expansion draft backup coverage, but what the heck is Nakladal going to bring, ever? Sending Nakladal down to Charlotte also serves no purpose, I wouldn't want him taking playing time away from other guys there (plus he has a one way NHL deal, so there is no cost savings there). Trying to send Dalhbeck to Charlotte won't work either as I guarantee you another team would see his value as expansion draft fodder (just a one year contract extension is all that is needed to make him your mandatory DMan exposure patsy) and claim him (or Zona would certainly take him back and assign him to the AHL). So I guess we will just carry 8 DMen when Murphy returns at least until (hopefully) Murphy can manage to get to that 35 games played mark, at which point Dahlbeck will be waived.

As for our Dmen lineup, add me to the group here that would really like to see Hanifin-Faulk, Slavin-Pesce, Hainsey-whoever is playing that night, be it Dahlbeck, Nakladal, or Murphy when he returns. If you need to switch that up late in a game then fine, but let's get Hainsey off that top pair...he has no business there at this point in his career.

Last edited:
If you haven't read by now, the Sens have ralied behind their goaltender Craig Anderson, who's wife has been diagnosed with cancer recently. The team responded well by blanking the young star riddled Oilers 2-0 in their previous contest backed by Anderson.

And if you haven't seen the video of the 3 stars after that game, go find it, but you might want a box of tissues nearby. Cam Talbot stayed in the tunnel while the stars were being announced too. Reason #84560045 why hockey players are the best.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

...Game time is 7h30 EST

Someone spent too much time in Europe, between that and the 24 hour time you dropped on us the other day. :wink

Anxiously awaiting news of the D pairings for tonight's tilt. Will Bill see the light or stubbornly stick to his guns?

OK ... I'm thinking that we're approaching the point where Peters has to push the panic button. As mentioned by others, the first line is working, the checking line is decent and everything else is pretty much plagued by loose screws and poor production. Lindholm's game is ... something. I've seen him play fairly well defensively and manage the possession part of the job well at times, but he's just not getting anything done in the offensive zone that would lead to scoring ... which is kind of the point. Terravainen is less of a problem in my book, mostly because he's so obviously grinding to score. He wants it and I think it'll come for him as he settles in. Maybe let him and Aho get all angular and experimental together along with PDG's coltish forechecking and put Lindy back on Staal's line as the checking winger that he has clearly grown to be. I dunno. What I do know is that leaving Lindy at center on an under performing line while the season goes up in flames is dumb. I'd also like to see the defense pairs shaken up to at least attempt to fix what's not working. What you do in net is obvious ... you stink until your GM provides another option. Because both available options stink.

And if you haven't seen the video of the 3 stars after that game, go find it, but you might want a box of tissues nearby. Cam Talbot stayed in the tunnel while the stars were being announced too. Reason #84560045 why hockey players are the best.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Someone spent too much time in Europe, between that and the 24 hour time you dropped on us the other day. :wink

lol, guilty as charged. between the french way, the german way, the quebec way, the canadian way, the american way... call me a bit confused? :)

As for the video, yes I saw it - thanks for mentioning it. Very very emotional and I agree with your sentiment.

Lines and pairings at the morning skate, per Michael Smith's tweets:

Skinner/Rask/Stempniak
Nordstrom/Staal/Nestrasil
Teravainen/Lindholm/Aho
Stalberg/McClement/PDG

Hainsey/Faulk
Slavin/Pesce
Hanifin/Murphy

He also tweeted that it looked like Ward in net. What happened to "win and you're in"?

I knew Murphy was close but didn't realize he was ready to play. Start the Ryan Murphy/Dahlbeck on waivers 35 game counter.

Clearly Peters wants to play Ward tonight with our full compliment of D healthy knowing that with Murphy in there we are not going to allow hardly any quality shots. How could you evaluate Cam Ward up to this point without shutdown Ryan Murphy out there clamping down on the opposition? Just wouldn't be fair :couch

I knew Murphy was close but didn't realize he was ready to play. Start the Ryan Murphy/Dahlbeck on waivers 35 game counter.

Clearly Peters wants to play Ward tonight with our full compliment of D healthy knowing that with Murphy in there we are not going to allow hardly any quality shots. How could you evaluate Cam Ward up to this point without shutdown Ryan Murphy out there clamping down on the opposition? Just wouldn't be fair :couch

Poor Hanifin. Seriously, he was #5 overal right? This is quickly becoming an area of his development where the club and I (and for many others) disagree.

Listen, if we were to play Hanifin on the top pairing with Murphy - that WOULD BE rushing him.

If you are playing him 3rd pairing minutes with Dahlback, Nakladel, Murphy or just about any other inexperienced, unproven partner - Can you say "Messing with his development?"

If you are playing him top pairing minutes with Faulk by his side - seems just about right. A reliable, proven partner with experience to lend - play him and partner him based on his pedigree!

One way or another, Hanifin/Murphy should be offensive! :thumbsup(22):

Yeah, too true.

Does Peters really think:

1. Hainsey-Faulk is his Shut Down pairing?
2. Hanifn-Murphy won't get targeted with the last change option?

I can't believe Steve Smith is suggesting this mess. It has to be a Peters override. Sheeesh!!!

Yeah, too true.

Does Peters really think:

1. Hainsey-Faulk is his Shut Down pairing?
2. Hanifn-Murphy won't get targeted with the last change option?

I can't believe Steve Smith is suggesting this mess. It has to be a Peters override. Sheeesh!!!

I think his shutdown pairing is Pesce/Slavin. Can't understand why Hanifin isn't with Faulk.

I'd think it was because they still think Murph is going to be a star, but then why Hanifin/Dreck while Murphy was out?

They have to have some kind of reason in mind.

D-pairing doesn't make sense to me. Hainsey has slowed his game, but can be solid and should be paired with Murphy. I don't understand why Peters doesn't want to pair Hanifin and Faulk.

Anybody think Maniscalco might ask Peters about the thinking behind the D-Pairings?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Back