• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bryan Bickell Diagnosed With Multiple Sclerosis

I just had this alert come over from NHL.com...that's awful news. There are a few people I know well who have MS and it can be brutal. I wish Bryan the best as he begins a very challenging fight.

Last edited:
He's not in IR, just the normal roster. Nice for RF to bring him up so he can draw his NHL salary.
can he go on IR with a non game type illness.

Bickell has a one way deal. Pretty sure a debilitating illness is enough for IR. The Canes don't need that roster spot with Nakladal waived and PDG demoted, so no need to make any moves. Stunning news I wish him luck.

Wild goalie Josh Harding was diagnosed with MS in November, 2012. He played 5 games that season and 29 games in 2013-14 but played his last game on 12/31/13. A change in medications caused complications, not the disease itself. His numbers in 2013-14 were off the charts...1.69 GAA and .933 Save %. He didn't retire until after the 2014-15 season, when his contract expired.

Bickell said in his statement that he started feeling off during the 2015 playoffs and then felt it again the last few weeks. So his disease may have progressed longer than Harding's before diagnosis. That may also explain the dramatic decline in performance last year.

I don't know if the rules are the same under this CBA as before, but a player needed to play 400 games in the NHL to be vested in the pension plan. Bickell has played 391.

OH! My Mother was diagnosed with MS in 1960 and they determined she had been mis-diag'ed since about 1952 as neuritis. She finally succumbed to MS via a 'worn-out' body in 2000 and was only immobile for less than the last 10 years. The point is, while I have known some who died within 5 years, it isn't always totally and quickly debilitating. We can hope for Bickell to have it slow in progressing. Especially to get those 9 games needed for vestment!

Yeah. As gut wrenching as this sounds, given Bickell's mysterious physical issues over the last couple of years it's actually a blessing that he's been diagnosed and now knows what's actually going on. There are no guaranteed timelines for MS, just a ton of variables.

Again ... if we could somehow get him 9 games for the sake of his pension, then personally I'd be in favor of his being dressed and holding the door on the bench after taking a short shift for nine games.

Omg, yeah like get him those games. Not to be gloomy, but had two friends with MS, one who lost he battle and another who's quality of life has vastly decreased in the span of 12 years. A wonderful soul I met on rasmus in Leipzig a few years back. Her spirit, through this disease, shines bright. I hope Bryan and his family the best. As stated, there are many many unknown variables

I took a quick look around and couldn't find anything on number of games required under the new CBA. It maxes out at $255k per year.

They need to get him the games he needs. Some things are more important than winning a hockey game.

Back