• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Games Played/Claims Limit

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
So I noticed that there were people streaming players. Which is fine in normal fantasy leagues but it's not what we were looking for in this league. Managing the cap and building the best team was the goal... not necessarily just maximizing your games played. I have no interest in pointing fingers or blaming anyone. Trying to win is not a bad thing. I just think we need to rein things in a bit.

I have started by setting the claim limit to 5 instead of 10.

I think we also need to drop the games played limits. Right now it's set at 80 total games. I think we need to drop it to 70. A few of us are in another league with a 70 game limit and it seems to work a lot better.

Thoughts?

I've been streaming a bit, not an insane amount mind you, but if I needed to add players to hit the limit, I've done it. That being said, I always think it's a little greasy to change two fairly important rules at the quarter pole. Won't cry about it, but not a fan.

That aside, I'm in favour of lowering the GP and moves limit.

guilty as charged.
i actually thought it was a weekly league and set it and forgot it for the first couple periods, not realizing you change lineups daily, but noticed people doing it and just figured that was how it was done.
not sure how much i even like the head to head format yet but i do know i hate having to scour the waiver wire trying to maximize the games played just to stay competitive. to much work lol

I've been streaming a bit, not an insane amount mind you, but if I needed to add players to hit the limit, I've done it. That being said, I always think it's a little greasy to change two fairly important rules at the quarter pole. Won't cry about it, but not a fan.

That aside, I'm in favour of lowering the GP and moves limit.

I agree with mid-season rule changes not being even close to ideal. However, in a H2H league it's not nearly as bad as a points/roto league. If a points/roto league the people who haven't been taking advantage could at least use the loopholes to try to catch up. In a H2H league if we correct the flaws we can get to rewarding the best teams, not the best game limit managers.

That said... if the majority are against mid season changes regardless of circumstance we can go back to 10 claims per week and leave the game limit at 80.

I've done it too, some weeks worse than others of course... but if we bring the limit down then the streaming won't be as necessary.

guilty as charged.
i actually thought it was a weekly league and set it and forgot it for the first couple periods, not realizing you change lineups daily, but noticed people doing it and just figured that was how it was done.
not sure how much i even like the head to head format yet but i do know i hate having to scour the waiver wire trying to maximize the games played just to stay competitive. to much work lol

No need for anyone to claim guilt. It was well within the rules.

I don't typically mind micro managing but I don't think it's what this league should be about. I think most of us would like not to have to scour the waiver wire to stream cheap scrubs to maximize our games just to be competitive.

And to be clear... I've done it as well... on a Saturday when I realize I'm way behind with many GP left in the bank.

Also, would the new limit be a straight 70 or would there still be a F/D/G divide?

I personally favor the straight limit but I'd be good either way.

Also, would the new limit be a straight 70 or would there still be a F/D/G divide?

I personally favor the straight limit but I'd be good either way.

I would prefer the straight 70... just to make it more simple.

Again, I won't change it if there's a big push back, but I really think it would be best for the league.

I'm entirely in favour of a straight 70, I severely dislike the position limits.

I'm cool with limiting streaming as well, 5 claims in a week is plenty.

I'm cool with it, too. I certainly made moves/trades based on hitting the max GP level. I don't like the in season change very much, I think something of this magnitude should be saved for the offseason (games limit, not so much reducing the streaming pickups), but I shall adapt. I'm a man of the people.

Unrelated, but I figured no better time than the present to throw this out. I like the idea that if a player is in the minors, they should be able to be moved to the minors, games played be damned! They'd become minors ineligible again as soon as the player is brought back up.

Perhaps something to consider for next year, if others feel the same.

I think this could jump start interest and maybe trading.

Speaking of which... any reason that we shouldn't allow cap hit retention in trades? We can change individual team salary caps so there's no problem there. I think we'd want to make the retention for the current season only.

I would be 100% on board for cap hit retention. Deals are hard to get done in this league and this would help for sure.

Mind you, I would be against integrating it right now. I think it''s an offseason amendment. It really changes things quite substantially. Just my two cents, though.

I'm cool with it, too. I certainly made moves/trades based on hitting the max GP level. I don't like the in season change very much, I think something of this magnitude should be saved for the offseason (games limit, not so much reducing the streaming pickups), but I shall adapt. I'm a man of the people.

Typically I'm not either... but mostly because people build their teams around the current rules. However, these aren't rules that you can build a team around. It's not like you drafted players that play more games than other players.
Typically it's scoring changes that really make a difference and shouldn't be done mid-season unless it's something very egregious.

Unrelated, but I figured no better time than the present to throw this out. I like the idea that if a player is in the minors, they should be able to be moved to the minors, games played be damned! They'd become minors ineligible again as soon as the player is brought back up.

Perhaps something to consider for next year, if others feel the same.

I'm not really sure if this is possible within the software... or how often this would be an issue.

The minors spots are there for us to "groom" prospects more than a place to stash extra players.

I would be 100% on board for cap hit retention. Deals are hard to get done in this league and this would help for sure.

Mind you, I would be against integrating it right now. I think it''s an offseason amendment. It really changes things quite substantially. Just my two cents, though.

Again... not something that changes the scoring or changes who a team would have been built.

I get not wanting to make mid season changes... but each potential change should be viewed on it's own rather than a flat "no change" policy.

That said... I'm also a man of the people and if the majority want to wait for changes then we wait for changes.

Nope, you are right. I can't draft guys to play more games. But, I have traded forwards for defencemen (example) & knew I was getting the short end of the stick. But, I was flush at D and weak at F and needed to make the move to consistently hit the GP limit at the F. There are a few things I don't do with a 70GP limit overall, as opposed to having things split out between F/D/G.

Yep, and I understand that. But, I've made deals and given up assets this year under the current format. With cap retention, my resources could have been better utilized (potentially). It affects guys who have already made their moves & it could potentially provide advantages to those that haven't.

As an example, with cap retention, I would have 100% taken Ovy over Coyle. I took Coyle due to the cap hit.

Last edited:
And, I agree with having no firm rule on changes. We should adapt whenever necessary for the good of the league. Most of my examples are selfish instances where I see it as personal detriment hahaha

I really am onboard with whatever is best for the league overall.

As far as in season changes are concerned, as long as we're given a bit of lead time and they're just system tweaks (which these are), I don't mind them introduced mid season.

Back