Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: NCFC MLS bid/General Soccer Bizzo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NCFC MLS bid/General Soccer Bizzo

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    premier league schedule is out June 14th. I would expect NCFC vs. Premier team friendly game , if it happens , to be announced before then
    I'm pretty sure all of the US visits by Premier League teams this summer have been announced already. One or two additional matches could end up happening, but in general, these things are known months in advance. Our local Spurs supporters' club was notified of the team's participation in this summer's International Champions Cup tournament in early April.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

the only thing that might be different from past years is Fulham getting promoted and their owner being American .

good article that explains how much more money a team makes in the premier league vs. 2nd level

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-p...hat-that-means

edit - Fulham playing 2 July games in France so I guess that rules out a US trip.
    Last edited by Paulie Walnuts; 06-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

NCFC really needs to play a friendly against Crystal Palace here in town. That showdown is guaranteed an attendance of at least one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoMich View Post
    NCFC really needs to play a friendly against Crystal Palace here in town. That showdown is guaranteed an attendance of at least one.
    I'd go to see Benteke. He does still play for Palace, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! But who knows for how much longer

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

He was invisible, with only 3 goals in 31 appearances, after scoring 15 in 36 appearances last year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    He was invisible, with only 3 goals in 31 appearances, after scoring 15 in 36 appearances last year
    Yeah, I know. But for most Villans, he's got a nostalgia pull.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

wonder how much the World Cup TV ratings will fall without the US. I know the vast majority of games do not include the US even in years when they qualify but it still will impact the ratings . But who knows maybe US fans will tune in to see "sh*thole" countries play.

I guess FOX is ticked the US could not beat a bunch of sad sack teams from places that are more known for growing pot and having bad medical schools

Post Thanks / Like

I've read several pieces on that subject. Most pundits seem to think it's going to be a disaster for Fox, but some media savvy reporters say otherwise. The thing is, soccer doesn't do huge, mainstream numbers on TV in this country even if the US is involved. And a LOT of the potential viewership still has skin in the game since a lot of our TV market for soccer is people with ties to Mexico. I don't think it's going to be quite the dumpster fire a lot of people seem to assume.

I do know one thing ... in terms of legit, retail market ticket sales, Americans bought the second most number of tickets for the World Cup behind only Russians. That makes absolutely no sense, but it is what it is I guess.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

how many of the US tickets went to scalpers? more than a few I guess. they might end up eating tickets or dumping them at low cost.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a nice opening for a political joke but I will for once avoid such commentary

“I do know one thing ... in terms of legit, retail market ticket sales, Americans bought the second most number of tickets for the World Cup behind only Russians. That makes absolutely no sense, but it is what it is I guess”

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear Russian hookers can put on quite a show in hotel rooms.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

USA soccer hires their first GM who will hire a new coach for mens team

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-st...l-team?src=com

Post Thanks / Like

USA soccer hires their first GM who will hire a new coach for mens team

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-st...l-team?src=com
    Yeah ... at least on paper, that will be Earnie Stewart's first job. In practice we'll have to wait and see. You don't go from a tightly insular, executive driven organization where the Chairman and MAYBE two other executives make all the big hires with virtually no oversight to letting the newly created position of GM do anything of any consequence overnight. A lot of guys bailed on pursuing this job when they found out the actual job duties and limitations ... case in point Carlos Bocanegra who removed his application and was immediately named to the search committee. That raised more than a few eyebrows.

US Soccer still has a lot of growing up to do, it would seem. Good luck to Earnie, who is a legitimately good guy. I'm happy he took the gig. Now maybe somebody might actually let him do some stuff that makes sense ... instead of enemies.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

world cup starts this weekend. I noticed 2 big names, Italy and Netherlands , also staying home. Did they lose to Trinadad and Tobago too?

Post Thanks / Like

world cup starts this weekend. I noticed 2 big names, Italy and Netherlands , also staying home. Did they lose to Trinadad and Tobago too?
    Well gee. Thanks for noticing I guess.

We've got a WC thread over a the soccer board. Dig in over there and maybe you'll discover that Chile (your reigning Copa America champs) didn't qualify either. And for the record, this is the second WC miss for the Dutch, so that's no longer allowed to be a surprise.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

In a vote that wasn’t close, North America will host the 2026 World Cup. The final vote was 134-65. Mexico is the first country to host 3 times. It will be the first World Cup with 48 teams. The US will host 60 of 80 matches including all matches from the quarterfinals on. The final will probably be played at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. Mexico and Canada will each host 10 matches.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-worl...a-hosting-vote

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Spain fired their coach this morning after he accepted the same position at Real Madrid.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess 10 games each for Canada and Mexico is about what I expected. Most likely majority of the 3rd world countries voted for Morocco but so did Belgium and Netherlands. I believe the closest potential games to us would be in DC at FedEx field, Charlotte is no longer on the list.

Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada's men's team might actually get a sniff at a World Cup berth in 2026 now...their one and only appearance was a disaster where they went 0-3 and failed to score a single goal back in 1986.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast