Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: NCFC MLS bid/General Soccer Bizzo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NCFC MLS bid/General Soccer Bizzo

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    Canada's men's team might actually get a sniff at a World Cup berth in 2026 now...their one and only appearance was a disaster where they went 0-3 and failed to score a single goal back in 1986.
    They automatically qualify as a host nation. The field will be expanded to 48 by then, so Canada probably won't be able to "top" their 1986 disaster. Mostly because they'll probably only get two games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    I guess 10 games each for Canada and Mexico is about what I expected. Most likely majority of the 3rd world countries voted for Morocco but so did Belgium and Netherlands. I believe the closest potential games to us would be in DC at FedEx field, Charlotte is no longer on the list.
    Nashville, Atlanta, DC, Orlando and Miami represent the southeastern US in the list of eligible host cities. They still have to narrow the list from 17 down to 10 ... so a couple of those are likely to be chopped. DC and Orlando are pretty much locks.

Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    They automatically qualify as a host nation. The field will be expanded to 48 by then, so Canada probably won't be able to "top" their 1986 disaster. Mostly because they'll probably only get two games.
    JB, I read somewhere that FIFA has not yet officially awarded all three host nations automatic bids and that was to be voted upon at a later date. I realize the field is expanding to 48 so it should be fairly easy to do those 3 automatic bids, but I wanted to see it officially to believe it...it's FIFA afterall...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    JB, I read somewhere that FIFA has not yet officially awarded all three host nations automatic bids and that was to be voted upon at a later date. I realize the field is expanding to 48 so it should be fairly easy to do those 3 automatic bids, but I wanted to see it officially to believe it...it's FIFA afterall...
    Put it this way ... it would be the first time that FIFA did not award a host nation an automatic spot if they were to fail to award the hosts in 2026, including the only other time there have been co-host countries ... both Korea and Japan got automatics in 2002. With the increased field size and CONCACAF getting 6 slots, yeah. Even a traditional FIFA truckload of cash won't mess that up.

Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Germany out of the World Cup now?

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwind View Post
    Is Germany out of the World Cup now?
    No, they’re in the Group Stage. There are 4 teams in the group, top 2 advance to the knockout stages. They play a round robin so they play Sweden on Saturday and South Korea on 6/27. They should win both, whic will probably be enough to advance.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021